HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
Hi you have probably already mentioned about the removable wing tip mod, but I need to know what kind of carbon fibre to get and size.
And also I need to move the elevator to the tail. I got an idea on how to do it but if someone else has done it and succeeded I would like to do what they have done.
Thanks

Its anyone guess really.. ie: there is no official type for the support struts..
they dont even have to be made from carbon.. you can use wood or even think metalic ones , tought carbon is usually better since is light and strong.

I think i just used 4/5mm carbon tube ... i used tube but you can use a strip too or square section tube.. the dificulty is in making the sockets where it goes so the wingtip remains aligned after fitting them (and not to drill out of the wing.... ask how i know that )



There is really no manual, is quite straight forward to make , but it requieres to be precise with where to make the holes and chanels so it remains inside both parts and aligned .. i used rule and ballpen to mark spots after carefully measuring.. also where to put them is free.. i put one in the thicker part of the wing.. the other really is there so it remains well fixed and to give it a bit more strenght.. but yu can put it anywhere behind as far as you have enought wing to carve in (leave at minimum half cm above and bellow) ..

i left 5.5cms between struts
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
newbi

Hi my name is Duncan

I'm from the UK and I'm wanting to get into RC planes i had a nitro trainer when i was 15 that was in kit form i built with my dad, and only flew twice at my local club with some one else landing and taking off the plane, now I'm 27 and wanting something simple i can teach my self to fly, and the cloud fly seems perfect, with lots of good reviews. This thread is just what i was looking for.

I have a couple of questions, I am looking at the ARF from hobbyking, so i can choose my own parts.

Do you chaps have any suggestions for good esc servos battery ect.... as there are so many on hobbyking its all a bit confusing and overwhelming for me being new to the sport, I have nitro cars but apart from having servos that is about it on similarity's.

I am also going to buy a spektrum DX6I as this seems a good value for money Radio to start which i can progress with.

Any advice on setting up the plane and Moding it to make it the perfect starter plane, as I am handy at this sort of thing so have no problem there.

Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Hi Duncan!

You can get some good recommendations for parts on RCModelReviews here. He has a 3 part video series for the build, see link also below.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/axnbits.shtml
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Hi
Thanks i have actually just stumbled across these videos watching them now very helpful.

I think i am over complicating i should just get it fly it and as i progress i can upgrade and mod then.
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
Hi my name is Duncan

I'm from the UK and I'm wanting to get into RC planes i had a nitro trainer when i was 15 that was in kit form i built with my dad, and only flew twice at my local club with some one else landing and taking off the plane, now I'm 27 and wanting something simple i can teach my self to fly, and the cloud fly seems perfect, with lots of good reviews. This thread is just what i was looking for.

I have a couple of questions, I am looking at the ARF from hobbyking, so i can choose my own parts.

Do you chaps have any suggestions for good esc servos battery ect.... as there are so many on hobbyking its all a bit confusing and overwhelming for me being new to the sport, I have nitro cars but apart from having servos that is about it on similarity's.

I am also going to buy a spektrum DX6I as this seems a good value for money Radio to start which i can progress with.

Any advice on setting up the plane and Moding it to make it the perfect starter plane, as I am handy at this sort of thing so have no problem there.

Thanks
At the risk of being hung drawn and quartered ... Get the Bixler V1 ... Apart from the wing spar it flies better for a beginner. Get the full package with transmitter and then go out and buy a dx6 or better to progress. ( my 2 cents worth ).
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
I had looked at the bixler but the V2 that was my original choice but its out of stock in the uk and euro warehouse i think, not sure about V1.

What are the differences between V1 and 2.

Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
The V2 has got flaps and is bigger than the V1, thats about it. But in the V2 you can carry bigger gear for fpv which I would hopefully start next year.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
I had looked at the bixler but the V2 that was my original choice but its out of stock in the uk and euro warehouse i think, not sure about V1.

What are the differences between V1 and 2.

Thanks
Reports are that the V1 flies better. I don't have one but people I trust do and this it what I have been told. I am thinking purely from a beginning point of view. Get a package RTF - get out there fly and have fun within a few months you can then go for a better radio and look for your next model ... this hobby has so many paths and so many options from building to competition; from tiny little mico aircraft to huge 3 meter plus stuff; from gliders to 3d Helicopters ... you may be broke but you will never be bored
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
Hi my name is Duncan

I'm from the UK and I'm wanting to get into RC planes i had a nitro trainer when i was 15 that was in kit form i built with my dad, and only flew twice at my local club with some one else landing and taking off the plane, now I'm 27 and wanting something simple i can teach my self to fly, and the cloud fly seems perfect, with lots of good reviews. This thread is just what i was looking for.

I have a couple of questions, I am looking at the ARF from hobbyking, so i can choose my own parts.

Do you chaps have any suggestions for good esc servos battery ect.... as there are so many on hobbyking its all a bit confusing and overwhelming for me being new to the sport, I have nitro cars but apart from having servos that is about it on similarity's.

I am also going to buy a spektrum DX6I as this seems a good value for money Radio to start which i can progress with.

Any advice on setting up the plane and Moding it to make it the perfect starter plane, as I am handy at this sort of thing so have no problem there.

Thanks
I bought the AXN with everything included but receiver and batteries. I have had none of the issues that some have posted. Servos work, Speed controller works, Motor has never thrown a magnet but after 50 flights the motor mount did come come loose when I landed. I like the AXN so much that I just ordered my second AXN.

Having learned from the first AXN I will be making some extensive mods to the second one to make it more rigid and easier to service.

First one is still in good shape and flying.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Registered User
richard9999's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
Hi you have probably already mentioned about the removable wing tip mod, but I need to know what kind of carbon fibre to get and size.
And also I need to move the elevator to the tail. I got an idea on how to do it but if someone else has done it and succeeded I would like to do what they have done.
Thanks
It's easy to get CF tube whose ID matches perfectly the OD of CF rod (say 3mm or bigger). I would sharpen the end of the CF tube with a file or W&D paper and try and push two pieces of it, while long, into the wing root as straight as possible. You could probably rip out the foam centre section cut by the tube by putting a bit of CA on the inside of the tube and then pushing it back in and rotating it and pulling out when the CA was set. Then glue the tubes in place with either CA or epoxy and cut flush with the wing end.

Then make up CF rods to the correct length and sharpen their end into points by rotating them in a drill and holding a file against the ends. Push these into the tubes and then, very carefully, push the wing tip onto the sharpened ends, keeping a constant eye out for alignment. Once the wing tips are perfectly in place glue the ends of the rods into the wing tips.

I have used a similar method to this (but just sharpened rod) when replacing and strengthening the broken tip of the vertical stab of a foam Spitfire, and it worked.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:50 AM
More coffee, please!
sir_clive's Avatar
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Hi Duncan,

if you stay with AXN, here is what I went with and what works for me:

servo: hxt900
esc: turnigy plush 25
battery: turnigy nanotech 2200 3s
tx/rx: turnigy 9x, later upgraded with frsky HF module and receivers

even if you don't go with AXN, I recommend you considder that tx: it's cheap and extremely versatile, if you want to play with it. there is a gorgeus firmware for it, which offers you possibilities unseen even in many much more expensive systems.

one more tip: giantcod, a great shop located in uk, with extremely good prices and super fast delivery! swallowed by another company, now called giantshark, but the last time I did business with them, some months ago, they were still great.

oh, and welcome and have fun!
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Hi Duncan

I'd say Sir_Clive's got it bang on, especially the Turnigy 9X.

Having said that, last time I looked, there were a few second hand radio's on Ebay that were pretty well priced.

I've never has a Spektrum myself but I have heard 'mixed reviews'. Some people swear by them while others swear AT them.

But- back to the 9X- It really is a fantastic radio and incredibly well priced. There have been 9X's that have had faults on arrival. This is usually bad soldering and everyone I know always gave their 9X's a good old shake (whilst switched on) before actually flying with them just to make sure they are ok.

Just out of interest, do you live far from any decent slopes in England? I used to live in Sussex and cut my teeth on slope soaring back in the 1970's. You can, of course, slope the AXN and it's yet another fantastic side of flying.

In MY experience the AXN is by far the best motorised glider available anywhere for the price. It leaves the kind of planes I used to fly (way back when), for dust.

Pound for pound, R/C model flying has GOT to be the best fund you can have so you've chosen a great hobby.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Oh- by the way, I've just ordered my THIRD AXN. My first one's a bit tatty now after it went in hard whilst I was teaching my mrs to fly (or crash, really) and my second ones the one I shoved an overpowered motor in. That one flies fast now but is a bit of a handful at the moment but I'm sure when I can get some decent time to spare, I'll iron out it's faults.

The third one's because my mrs wanted to buy me a present. I spent ages looking at all sorts of planes before going back to the good old AXN because I know I'll still have this plane for years to come (as opposed to some of the slightly more risky planes I was drooling over). Nothing worse than wrecking a plane that came as a present.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:41 AM
More coffee, please!
sir_clive's Avatar
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
hehe, I got hooked on building my own planes recently, my mrs just gives me the GO for epoxy, gfk, balsa and similar stuff when it comes to presents.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:51 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Hi Duncan,

if you stay with AXN, here is what I went with and what works for me:

servo: hxt900
esc: turnigy plush 25
battery: turnigy nanotech 2200 3s
tx/rx: turnigy 9x, later upgraded with frsky HF module and receivers

even if you don't go with AXN, I recommend you considder that tx: it's cheap and extremely versatile, if you want to play with it. there is a gorgeus firmware for it, which offers you possibilities unseen even in many much more expensive systems.

one more tip: giantcod, a great shop located in uk, with extremely good prices and super fast delivery! swallowed by another company, now called giantshark, but the last time I did business with them, some months ago, they were still great.

oh, and welcome and have fun!
Hi, I've not got an AXN, but i've been following this thread for a while and it's one of the ones I fancy getting at some point. (considering the AXN or Bixler)

I'm looking at moving into FPV flying, getting bits for Christmas that should cover this (HobbyKing Mini Atom, tiny wireless camera/TX/RX also a T380 quad and video TX/RX/camera) and have a ground station all ready with a portable DVD player and some boxing around it that all fits nicely onto a camera tripod and runs off a 3S lipo split into the display and the video RX.

I'm currently using a DX6i as i've been getting into the hobby via Eflite Blade micro's (120SR/MQX) and was wondering if you could tell me briefly the benefits of the Turnigy X9 over my DX6i? Specifically whether there's gonna be any benefit for FPV.

My DX6i has been pretty solid for me, i've had a couple of dropouts of signal on my 120SR but I think the RX is faulty as it's sometimes intermittent on Range Testing at as little as 30 feet though my MQX has a solid connection.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools