HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Just have to rub it in a bit more to mutha.

Mine was $129 plus tax which is US$140.

But to make him feel better, the gopro site says it does not post to AU yet because of the lipo in it.

One Walmart had the extra lipo for $16 plus tax but not too sure about bringing extra lipos back in a port. (apparently port is only what Queenslanders say and the rest of AU say suit case). But I understand the original lipo lasts quite a while and go for a couple of hours between charges.

That backpac with the iPhone looks interesting but I guess it would cost quite a bit. I could not see prices on the gopro site with this iPhone I am using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Actually it flies fine on one aileron, see back here

GoPro v1 is $129 on the GoPro website, but I don't know if they ship outside USA.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
I tried to fly my AXN today. I took great care in building it, and was very purplexed when all it would do is nosedive when I tried to launch it - even at half throttle. I read how others were adding weight to the nose and mine is wanting to face plant. After reading several posts I think I figured out what I did wrong.

I bought the kit (no motor, but the motor mount installed, so I assumed it was where it should be - first mistake) so I also bought the motor that originally comes with the plane - in spite of the fact that I've read that the motor occasionally loses magnets, it's a strong motor. I put a 6x4 pusher prop on the motor (second mistake - sort of, it just amplified mistake number one.)

My first try, I had a 2200mah battery in the front end (which seemed heavy to me) and it balanced on the carbon rod in the wing (as is recommended in the forum) but the plane went about 15-20 feet and down to the ground she went. I thought maybe the battery is too heavy so I took that out and put a 1300mah shortie in which moved the CG back about 1" (a LOT) and the plane STILL nosedives.

So, out of desperation, I trim the elevator UP about 1/4" just to see if she will fly at all. Finally she dips down (typical floater dip) and then she goes up. But it's uncontrollable. This is no pussycat - I'm going back to the drawing board - I am pretty sure if I adjust the thrust line most of my problems will vanish, but I also see I need more throw on ALL the control surfaces. Usually when I get a new plane, I have to calm down the throws, add expo etc, to make the plane more docile but this plane just feels like I have no control. I was really surprised. Thankfully the landing, though hard left little damage - a little too late I saw videos of folks putting a rubber band around the cockpit - now my canopy has a piece missing - nothing that can't be fixed - and one wing has a dent I think I can steam out.

Any advice is welcome here.... if I missed something. I didn't get a manual!
c3ajeff is offline Find More Posts by c3ajeff
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:04 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ajeff View Post
I tried to fly my AXN today. I took great care in building it, and was very purplexed when all it would do is nosedive when I tried to launch it - even at half throttle. I read how others were adding weight to the nose and mine is wanting to face plant. After reading several posts I think I figured out what I did wrong.

I bought the kit (no motor, but the motor mount installed, so I assumed it was where it should be - first mistake) so I also bought the motor that originally comes with the plane - in spite of the fact that I've read that the motor occasionally loses magnets, it's a strong motor. I put a 6x4 pusher prop on the motor (second mistake - sort of, it just amplified mistake number one.)

My first try, I had a 2200mah battery in the front end (which seemed heavy to me) and it balanced on the carbon rod in the wing (as is recommended in the forum) but the plane went about 15-20 feet and down to the ground she went. I thought maybe the battery is too heavy so I took that out and put a 1300mah shortie in which moved the CG back about 1" (a LOT) and the plane STILL nosedives.

So, out of desperation, I trim the elevator UP about 1/4" just to see if she will fly at all. Finally she dips down (typical floater dip) and then she goes up. But it's uncontrollable. This is no pussycat - I'm going back to the drawing board - I am pretty sure if I adjust the thrust line most of my problems will vanish, but I also see I need more throw on ALL the control surfaces. Usually when I get a new plane, I have to calm down the throws, add expo etc, to make the plane more docile but this plane just feels like I have no control. I was really surprised. Thankfully the landing, though hard left little damage - a little too late I saw videos of folks putting a rubber band around the cockpit - now my canopy has a piece missing - nothing that can't be fixed - and one wing has a dent I think I can steam out.

Something sounds out of place there...
Suggest you check the attitude of the horizontal stab - it sounds like it might be slightly up on the leading edge??

If possible take a few photos to share with us..
in particular a profile shot to see the attitude of the wings and tail feathers.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:05 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

I suspect that you accidently put the horizontal stab too far forward (easy to do). that results in down elevator even though you think it is level. Make sure that the bottom of the stab is absolutely flat with respect to the bottom of the wing. The tell was when you said "I trim the elevator UP about 1/4" just to see if she will fly at all. Finally she dips down (typical floater dip) and then she goes up." If you did that, all of your problems after that are expected. Let us know.
AJ
I see pghern was typing the same time I was.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:14 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
i fly with 2200 and 6x4.. fast but flies straight. one thing is with polyhedral wing, a roll might be rudder trim, not aileron, but you didnt mention a roll so...

sure the tail is glued on straight (incidence)
you mentioned pusher prop.. shouldn;t need one for brushless, just switch 2 wires. make sure its on right and turning right.. with a 1300 it should almost hover at full throttle

with a high thrustline, it will dive under launh power. i usually throw up at 60deg (or 90!) and it noses over, but it levels out at 15' and flies away. i dont recommend that tho til its trimmed. 20' would smash it. power off glides into long grass would be safer til you get it figured out.

it sounds like you did good troubleshooting so sorry if you;ve checked it all. thrust, incidence, level trims, cg are the usual suspects.
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Thanks pghern, ajbaker and redline19k. I'll check the Stab in the morning and see if it's flat to the wing (I'll be shocked if it isn't - I've looked at it carefully).

Once it went up, it was circling in a tight circle (like the rudder was way out of trim, or like one of the aileron linkages fell off) but when I got it down I checked and the rudder is straight as an arrow with the fuse - and the ailerons are flat to the wing (under battery power with TX on, of course) and stable. I've never seen anything like it and I've been flying for 20+ years (with a short intermission.) I expected a docile pussycat that would be a relaxing no-pucker experience... but I got the full pucker effect. Tomorrow... pictures.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:41 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks pghern, ajbaker and redline19k. I'll check the Stab in the morning and see if it's flat to the wing (I'll be shocked if it isn't - I've looked at it carefully).

Once it went up, it was circling in a tight circle (like the rudder was way out of trim, or like one of the aileron linkages fell off) but when I got it down I checked and the rudder is straight as an arrow with the fuse - and the ailerons are flat to the wing (under battery power with TX on, of course) and stable. I've never seen anything like it and I've been flying for 20+ years (with a short intermission.) I expected a docile pussycat that would be a relaxing no-pucker experience... but I got the full pucker effect. Tomorrow... pictures.
Oh, just in case, make sure the wing is balanced laterally (one side is not heavier than the other).
One other thing you might check the thing that caused me 5 crashes before I found it. Make sure that the decals are not blowing up in the wind. Mine looked perfect on the ground. But, as soon as it was launched, a decal flap would come up and caused a number of crashes.
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
All good advice! I would add make sure the wings are locked in and tape in place. If one wing moves back a bit its not good. Definitely do power off glide. This was mine 2 years ago

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3410
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I'm still concerned about your use of a pusher prop.
What direction is the motor spinning looking from the rear?
And you do have the numbers facing the front of the plane?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,596 Posts
Yes, mine flew great first time out, then second time all it would do is nosedive. Will check the horizontal stab, then chuck it if it nose dives again.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I'm still concerned about your use of a pusher prop.
What direction is the motor spinning looking from the rear?
And you do have the numbers facing the front of the plane?
The numbers/letters on a prop are meaningless. Props are made with markings on both sides. I see this come up at least twice a week and that is bad information.
The only accurate way to mount a prop is to use the picture attached.
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:

The AXN should balance at the carbon spar, a 3S 2200 Lipo is usually what you need to get the CG right. The airplane does dip on initial launch, you just need to give it a bit of up elevator immediately after launch and feed in the power for a nice climb.

The AXN does not need a pusher prop, it just needs the prop turning in the right direction and mounted like if it were on the front of the airplane, thrust going towards the tail. if its like aj's picture its good to go.

The motor mount provides no thrust compensation, it is essentially straight back. This is what causes the nose to dip at initial launch and when you transition from zero or low power to high power. It also causes the AXN to roll to the right when motor power is applied. I did not do anything to try and eliminate the dip, i know it is there and compensate for it. The tendency to roll is solved by mixing a little rudder into the throttle channel.

The AXN can be a Pussycat but it can also be a Tiger. I fought your fight when I first got mine, now I can glide around peacefully or buzz the runway like the rocket the AXN can be when throttled up.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Last edited by BGR; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:39 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,663 Posts
The launch is also better if you throw it firmly and slightly upwards (maybe 20-30 degrees from horizontal) with the motor at 50% or a touch more. I use a left hand launch with a Tx neck strap and immediately apply some up elevator until it is climbing smoothly. If it does hit the ground, it's a nice grassy surface and the AXN has some decent covering on the underside, you could just increase the motor power, keep going and take it off from the ground without damage. I used to do this with my early launches, but now I can almost always get it into the air directly.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:32 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
All good advice! I would add make sure the wings are locked in and tape in place. If one wing moves back a bit its not good. Definitely do power off glide. This was mine 2 years ago

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3410
------------------
Agree with this !
It's one thing to have trouble launching, that can be explained by throwing too weakly or too much up. But if the plane gets into the air, and has the power - the poster said it could go fast, and still does not fly right - then there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the plane. Mine looks like people have walked on it, and still flies like a pussycat, even with a lot of added weight.

The general recommendation of using a 2200 I still cannot understand, as a 1300 would easily give 15 minutes in the air, and make the plane glide WAY BETTER than with a 2200, but each must decide this for himself of course. But the guy with problems had also tried with lighter battery, so I'm thinking also that either the wings are not correctly in place, or he has some bad contact or servo causing glitching in the air.
Cubber1 is online now Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
OK, to answer some of your concerns (thank you all):

1. Pusher prop. I bought the kit, so I needed to supply the prop. I have lots of props (100's) but I just happened to pick out a pusher I had, and yes indeed I know which direction to put them on and which way the motor should turn and how to reverse it if needed. The motor is spinning clockwise, the prop is on correctly and it's making LOTS of thrust (I was surprised at how much actually)

2. Launch. I launch up at about a 30-40 deg angle. I tried different throttle settings (with the thought that it may be thrust) but the plane just wants to submarine.

3. I checked the stab and it's located right where it's supposed to be in it's slot, up against the matching curve in front, down flat on it's mounting area. The angle is consistent with the wing.

4. The wings are fixed in place. It's my thing - I don't like wings that come apart (unless the mounting system is fool-proof) so I epoxy them in. They are in for the duration. I understand this removes some 'give' from the wings on impact, however I hadn't planned on impacting it often

5. Balance is really pretty good front/back and side/side. I can hold the plane on the tip of my finger (like a basketball) right on the CG and balance it there for 4-5 seconds (probably longer if I were more coordinated!)

One thing I did notice I should mention. I have two AXN motors. The first one I put on seemed draggy - I don't know it didn't sound like it was getting up to speed (we all know what a 2000+kv motor should sound like) so I pulled it and put the other one on.... and wow... what a difference. It seemed like the second motor has 2x the thrust (all else being equal.) I checked motor 1 for missing magnets, etc., but no visible imperfections. Interesting, no?

Today it's quite stormy outside so there will be no flight tests - probably not until next week, but I plan on removing the motor and adding 4 or 5° of pitch to the thrust line \ top of the prop fwd \ and while I'm at it I am going to work on the amount of throw in the control surfaces.

Thanks for all your insight - I really thought this plane would fly right... I'll report back when I know what it is (if I ever do) that caused it's love for terra firma.