Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
WOW!! $50 + for a piece of CF tube? You have got to be kidding. I can get CF custom made to my specs for less than ½ of that. Yipes.
If you are using these, it must be nice to be rich.
AJ
P.S. I put myself on the waiting list for the ARF (the big one).
AJ,

Not $50+ for a piece of CF tube, it is for one dozen. I'm happy to get my CF from the LHS or HK, but it provides options that others may find appealing.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:25 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Any idea if it would be better on a Bixler? I want to do something similar, including:

5.8 GHz 600mW ImmersionRC Tx
Cyclops NOVA OSD (with GPS, RTH, etc)
600TVL Sony Super HAD II CCD camera
Home-made pan-tilt system
Microphone
FrSky 2.4 GHz control with Turnigy 9x flashed to er9x.

I want to try to fit it on a Axn to start, but I can see why it would be a challenge. I've cut a hatch on the bottom and that does free up a lot of area for larger items such as the OSD. Oh, and I do have a RCTimer 2200kV motor that I can replace the stock motor with. I've seen some folks post FPV Youtube videos with setups that appear to be heavier than this, which gives me some confidence that it might be feasible.
-----------------
Fitting it all will maybe be a bit of a pain. But the main concern is wing loading. The axn flies very light with a 1300mah battery, and easily gets 15 minutes in the air with that on mixed throttle. If you add 200-300 grams I think it's suddenly more safe to keep timer at 5 minutes. If you need to fly with 2200 batterys, the plane will fly even heavier, so in my mind I think what's best is to keep the battery light and go for short flights with the axn if you have heavy equipment on it.

If the fpv-setup is kept light, and you use a 1300 battery, it will fly pretty much like a no-fpv clouds on a 2200 battery, heavy, but most seem to find that kind of weight acceptable...
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:59 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
AJ,

Not $50+ for a piece of CF tube, it is for one dozen. I'm happy to get my CF from the LHS or HK, but it provides options that others may find appealing.
Ah. Got it. That makes more sense. Thanks for pointing that out.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Hi.
I need to know how I can protect the foam from being destroyed when I land on grass. Can I use some thin plastic and some how stick it on to protect the bottom of the fuselage from landing? What thickness should I get? How to stick it on? and from where to get it from?
Thanks
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
Hi.
I need to know how I can protect the foam from being destroyed when I land on grass. Can I use some thin plastic and some how stick it on to protect the bottom of the fuselage from landing? What thickness should I get? How to stick it on? and from where to get it from?
Thanks
I have been using this on the AXN.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334433

3mil on the wings. I put 10mil on the bottom of the fuselage.

Purchased here:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/new-stuf...ing-films.html
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Last edited by hendrnk; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
The price is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
Hi.
Thanks
The simplest thing to do is go to your refrigerator and when your plastic milk jug is empty, cut off a 30mmx180mm strip and epoxy it to the bottom of the fuselage. It will work even if you land on asphalt all day. You will love the cost of this procedure.
AJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I have been using this on the AXN.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334433

3mil on the wings. I put 10mil on the bottom of the fuselage.

Purchased here:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/new-stuf...ing-films.html
Thanks.
I live in the UK so I think this will do (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Matt...item2c675b237d) It is 1mm so about 39mil but its cheap.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
the simplest thing to do is go to your refrigerator and when your plastic milk jug is empty, cut off a 30mmx180mm strip and epoxy it to the bottom of the fuselage. It will work even if you land on asphalt all day. you will love the cost of this procedure.
aj
the no name brand milk bottle and cheaper epoxy will help mitigate the expenses
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:12 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
any good ideas how to mount the turnigy camera up front?
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
any good ideas how to mount the turnigy camera up front?
Which Turnigy camera do you have?
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Which Turnigy camera do you have?
sorry. I have this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ory_card_.html
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
One way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
Hot glue a piece of 1/16"x1"x2.5" hardwood vertically (facing front) and use velcro to hold the camera (or rubberbands). I am sure there are a lot of other ways. Pick one.
AJ
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
As AJ says, many ways to do this. Just a thought, if you wanted to take away rather than add material you could slice the motor-pod and small part of the base underneath. Then velcro the cut surfaces and camera to make it stay put. You could also velcro the pod cut-off so that it could be put back when the camera is not being used. Will weaken the motor base slightly but I very much doubt it would be problem.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
I thinking of takeing my (spare) canopy, and somehow makeing hole in it so just the top of the camera sticks out.

I will post a pic of it once I figre it out.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:28 PM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
I finally got a chance to maiden my "Bruce" over the weekend :P

I've had it together since late August, but had to wait on a new servo (bad one in the first batch) and other life got in the way. My build follows Bruce's YouTube guide, including the 6x5 prop, and uses digital servos instead of the analog ones he lists. Wings are permanently glued in place.

My first intent was to hand-toss the plane hard and see if it had any really wonky characteristics...

So, I threw it level and quite hard... it glided away from me in a very straight line. I wiggled the controls and everything seemed fine. Funny thing is, I was still gently gliding several feet off the ground, so instead of bringing it in I gave it some throttle and nicely flew it up a few hundred feet. It was a sort of unintentional maiden, but really great too.

I used one 2200mah battery, which normally lasts about 8-12 mins in my T-28, for about 28 mins! The combination of WOT and gliding really extended the life of the battery.

I had a really good time doing slow sailing (haven't flown a glider since a Sophisicated Lady about 15 years ago) and some high speed passes too. Did my 1st touch-and-go's ever, thanks to the pusher prop being out of the way. We fly at a rough grass field and don't have gear on any of our planes, so touch-and-go's are otherwise impossible.

It really is a lovely plane to fly and as a counterpart to my more aerobatic T-28 it makes a very nice alternative.

A couple of things I did notice:

1. Getting used to the downward tendency with the pusher prop does/will take some getting used to.
2. The roll rate is pretty slow, which isn't necessarily bad, but I almost got in trouble a time or two, thinking it would roll differently.
3. I'm tempted to do some mixing with the throttle to counteract some of the pusher prop. Anyone had success with that?

That's about all for now. Very excited by the first flight and can't wait to get out again!
Oakstone is offline Find More Posts by Oakstone