Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
FPVing the AXN Floater Jet was more pain than gain. I killed my AXN trying to fly through power lines and have since ordered a Skywalker.

I could never get the CG right, and my wing loading was always incredibly high. Not a pleasant flier once loaded up with FPV gear.

Worst part was the spaghetti mess of wires tucked into the fuse. NEVER AGAIN.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:51 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
The AXN is a great park flier FPV'er ....its fast and fun at closer distance (less than 1 mile zooming around safely, I use 5.8ghz for video-CP antennas, and 72mhz for RC control)....

The Bixler v2 is different, its a tad bit slower but a lot more stable. It can glide futher without power so you can go out further (~5 miles plus).

p.s.
CoG on AXN is 50mm from leading edge of wings right?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
my mistake was sticking a 800 mw CP antenna video transmitter, 38mm board camera with pan/tilt, DOSD v2, RMILEC UHF receiver, separate BEC and 12v voltage regulator all into an AXN floater. To physically fit the equipment i relocated the tail servos to the tail boom.

it was a nightmare
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I know the Skywalker and flying wings are great

Well the Skywalker has not had quite good reviews... most of the people i know who used it report problems about weak wings (at least in early versions) , shakky/softy tails and so wich need mods to make it good
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
-------------------
Could you elaborate on your opinion here ?
I'm trying a little fpv with my CF these days, and my feeling is that when loaded up with a little extra weight, it gets a high wing loading, and is a bit fast for FPV. But it is ok, as long as we talk about a very light fpv, like a 100grams extra, plus you can use a smaller flightbattery to compensate. Ok but not perfect hehe..

But what are your opinions on alternatives ? Would you say Bixler is a big improvement over CF ? I'm considering the FPV-raptor also for when I find the CF needs to retire...
Read post #11365-11373. Excellent posts IMO.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
yeah go bixler V1 excellent choice... or FPV raptor for more durability and interior space. Make sure you replace ESC and servos on the FPV raptor. I would lean towards FPV raptor.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
any one have any tips on mounting turnigy camera?
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
yeah go bixler V1 excellent choice... or FPV raptor for more durability and interior space. Make sure you replace ESC and servos on the FPV raptor. I would lean towards FPV raptor.
--------------------

Bixler looks to be a good option yes. Bixler 2 is tempting also, but a shame that they have managed to underpower it. A shame when you have to upgrade the motor before first flight.

ESC and servos are that bad on the "raptor" ? Well, esc and some hxt900 does not put one back much anyway.
Decisions decisions hehe...

Anyway - at least for a while I'm sticking with the good old "clouds" - maybe I'll even get round to posting some pictures of the "beauty" and my fpv-setup.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
These are the ones I use. They are not available online, as far as I know. The one in front is original AXN spar

A potential online supplier would be performance kite suppliers, but expect to pay $$.

Yes they are 8mm, need 750mm length
I use these with inserts exclusively for wing joiners, you may need to press fit in CF wing but these are top notch quality never failed me yet in bigger wings

http://goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=5
or
http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/g...s-p-10646.html
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
--------------------

Bixler looks to be a good option yes. Bixler 2 is tempting also, but a shame that they have managed to underpower it. A shame when you have to upgrade the motor before first flight.

ESC and servos are that bad on the "raptor" ? Well, esc and some hxt900 does not put one back much anyway.
Decisions decisions hehe...

Anyway - at least for a while I'm sticking with the good old "clouds" - maybe I'll even get round to posting some pictures of the "beauty" and my fpv-setup.
The bixler 2 looks like a nice plane, but it almost seems that there is less interior volume for FPV equipment than the bixler 1 due to the wing attachment mechanism. At least, that's what I've heard other users say, and why I went with a Bixler 1.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
my mistake was sticking a 800 mw CP antenna video transmitter, 38mm board camera with pan/tilt, DOSD v2, RMILEC UHF receiver, separate BEC and 12v voltage regulator all into an AXN floater. To physically fit the equipment i relocated the tail servos to the tail boom.

it was a nightmare
Any idea if it would be better on a Bixler? I want to do something similar, including:

5.8 GHz 600mW ImmersionRC Tx
Cyclops NOVA OSD (with GPS, RTH, etc)
600TVL Sony Super HAD II CCD camera
Home-made pan-tilt system
Microphone
FrSky 2.4 GHz control with Turnigy 9x flashed to er9x.

I want to try to fit it on a Axn to start, but I can see why it would be a challenge. I've cut a hatch on the bottom and that does free up a lot of area for larger items such as the OSD. Oh, and I do have a RCTimer 2200kV motor that I can replace the stock motor with. I've seen some folks post FPV Youtube videos with setups that appear to be heavier than this, which gives me some confidence that it might be feasible.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,275 Posts
How about the BIIIIIG Bixler

http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky-surfer.html

JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,273 Posts
I thought this thread was about AXN not these other fancy looking birds
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:30 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Outrageous Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
I use these with inserts exclusively for wing joiners, you may need to press fit in CF wing but these are top notch quality never failed me yet in bigger wings

http://goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=5
or
http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/g...s-p-10646.html
WOW!! $50 + for a piece of CF tube? You have got to be kidding. I can get CF custom made to my specs for less than ½ of that. Yipes.
If you are using these, it must be nice to be rich.
AJ
P.S. I put myself on the waiting list for the ARF (the big one).
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:53 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I thought this thread was about AXN not these other fancy looking birds
+1. You are right on. They are great looking planes and HERE is the main threat for them (yes, I started the thread).
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Add Link