HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:13 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
What if I glue my wings, and a have to replace a faulty servo?
Actually, it is very easy. I had to replace both of mine AFTER I had the wings glued in. The servo plug is about 1" away from the servo under the spar cover. Just peel back the spar cover a small amount and the plug is readily available. See pic below. After replacing the servo, I just used packing tape to hold the small bit of spar cover down. On the other side, I just peeled back the 1" or so of spar cover and cut it off. It is such a small amount that there is no chance of having the rest of the spar cover fail. It has maintained 100% integrity for 200+ flights so far. Note: some later models have the "Y" cable in the center of the spar cover. If so, simply cut away the space you need.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:36 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Dive on a throw take off

Sorry gentlemen, I am sure someone had asked/answered this before but reading 750 pages back is a bit more than I can handle, so please help!

It is known that the AXN dives on a throw start (and every time you push throttle), so I wonder if anyone tried to deal with it putting a couple of washers under the two lower screws holding the motor (i.e., making the motor point a bit more upwards).
Some say that yes it can help on start and acceleration but it'll come for a price of worse handling on stable throttle. Any advice?

Thanks.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,242 Posts
I've never considered the slight down a problem, more of a quirk. When I hand launch the throttle is set at a nice cruising speed, a controlled throw with a slight up angle, return right hand to the transmitter (mode 2) and ensure wings level and positive control. If all is good I slowly increase throttle and pull in some elevator. If the launch didn't go to plan I cut the throttle and land. This is one reason I always (where possible and for all models) ensure I have plenty of room in front of me (into the wind) for a potential aborted launch.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:20 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I've never considered the slight down a problem.....
Yeah, but a problem or not, if one wishes to deal with it - would adding the washers do or would it not, that's what I was wondering about
(and if it would, then at what cost)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:24 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
I have never got any problem with the way stock motor mounted, it been there like for almost a year still fly w/o modification,

I'm flying mode 2, I launch the plane with my left hand no problem with the plane diving as my right hand is already holding the elevator stick, usually i give it the throttle until i feel it want to get out of my hand a throw it straight ahead

my axn already 1+ year old still flying and my favorite plane among all of my plane as it the easiest plane to launch
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:34 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
I have never got any problem ....
- I never said it was a problem.

OK I re-phrase:
Has anyone tried putting a couple of washers under the lower screws of the motor mount thus rising its back side a bit in order to deal with plane's dives at rapid acceleration? If yes, did it negatively affect other aspects of flying the AXN?
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 10, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
well for me if not it a problem/broken don't fix it or change it , but answering your question, by doing that it might minimize elevator pitch down effect caused by the plane pivoting forward when throttling up as you increasing the downthrust or maybe this post will help?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8814
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:14 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
Oh THIS is great, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for and as far as I see there is no side effect. Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Yeah, but a problem or not, if one wishes to deal with it - would adding the washers do or would it not, that's what I was wondering about
(and if it would, then at what cost)
The fun part about this hobby is the experimentation and learning from others. If nobody else has tried it, throw some washers in and give it a go. After all, it's just foam. Just make sure you post the results.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,429 Posts
There could be a side effect - if the plane is trimmed to neutral in a glide, throttle could make it balloon up.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
how much throttle to hand launch plane? 50% throttle and throw it slightly upwards?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
how much throttle to hand launch plane? 50% throttle and throw it slightly upwards?
Yes.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:40 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Oh THIS is great, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for and as far as I see there is no side effect. Thanks a lot!
I've got two washers under each lower screw, no ill-effects at all but then not really a lot of change either Non-axial thrust is pretty tricky to balance out, as already posted better the pilot just learns to accommodate it.

I used to have a "launch mode" programmed in to add in up elevator for launching, now don't bother, just 50% throttle and a reasonable 45degree over arm throw. Of course as a left-handed Mode 2 works great for me (my right hand stays on elevator stick during launch)
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:19 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Any one know of any issues with an esc right next to a serov. (basically stuck to the side of the servo?)
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:36 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
Any one know of any issues with an esc right next to a serov. (basically stuck to the side of the servo?)
No, you should be good (no guarantees from me though ). Have a look at all the attachments in this thread and you will see some very close ESC/servo combinations. My ESC is between the rudder and elevator servos and I haven't had any issues on numerous flights.

To give you some confidence, hold the plane and do a few motor runs to see if the servo moves.
RCG Plus Member