HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:56 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Did it again! Opened the throttle wide to climb out of a dive...crunch! Oh well, boiling water and a hairdryer sorted most of the damage, and a bit of bracing at the back now holds the fuselage together! Damn thing was on it's first flight too after I wrote off my first one with the same stupid mistake! Must remember that the engine on top is a "pusher" Literally!

JTT_GTI I ordered from the German warehouse, no problem with delivery and because it came by courier (not Correos!), they even found my address! No Customs charges either.
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:15 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Get THIS! You can use all the parts from your AXN and you are flying again with a better airplane. The popularity of this plane is awesome. HERE is the thread. Enjoy.
AJ
Aj do you know if the Spar from the AXN will work with the Bixler?? (assuming it would be better if it did)

I umm happen to have a couple of spares
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:39 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Aj do you know if the Spar from the AXN will work with the Bixler?? (assuming it would be better if it did)

I umm happen to have a couple of spares
Why do you need them to be the same? I can understand having a spare spar? I don't remember what size the AXN spar is. Both of my AXN's have the wings glued in (1+ years ago). The Bixler spar is 6mm OD. If I were to make a guess, I think they are the same diameter. But, I would bet they are different lengths because of the different wingspans of both planes (AXN-1290mm Bixler-1400mm). All in all, I would still recommend the Bixler as a step up for you and minimum cost.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,797 Posts
Thanks AJ ... I know the bixler spar is a little weak and the forum recommends strengthening ... was just wondering if the AXN ones I had might make a reasonable solution ... but the length might be the issue. Cheers.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
From memory (mine is glued in), I think the AXN spar is a bit bigger - maybe 8mm.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
From memory (mine is glued in), I think the AXN spar is a bit bigger - maybe 8mm.
That's correct, I measured mine 2 years ago at 5/16in. I use an carbon arrow shaft, lighter and same strength
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
I finally got mine out of the box and got an "Orange" Rx wired up to it with XT60 for my battery. The battery is brand new from factory, no charging yet. I figured it would have enough juice to test the electronics.

The plane binds and the servos move... the motor on the other hand just sputters/spins for a split second then "clikity clak" and nothing more. I didn't do anything to the motor. No Prop, No adjustments. Just the way it came out of the box. Directions leave a lot to be desired so I'm not sure if I was supposed to "prep" anything before giving it throttle.

Ideas?
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:27 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
What is the recommend CoG?

what Center of Gravity (leading edge of wings) do you guys use?

thanks
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
... the motor on the other hand just sputters/spins for a split second then "clikity clak" and nothing more. I didn't do anything to the motor. No Prop, No adjustments.
Andrew, do me a favor and mount your prop and then try throttling up. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen cases where a motor wouldn't spool up without a prop on it. If that doesn't work, then you either have a bad connection between the motor and the esc (speed controller), a bad solder joint on the motor wires, or a short in the motor.
What kind of connecters do you have between the esc and your motor? Are the wires soldered together or are there bullet connectors joining the wires?
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,257 Posts
If im not mistaken the CloudsFly spar was 8mm... i can measure mine later when i get back home
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
CG suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
What is the recommend CoG?

what Center of Gravity (leading edge of wings) do you guys use?

thanks
50-55mm from leading edge of wing (next to fuselage). I use 55mm. But, for a maiden flight, I recommend 48-50mm.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:46 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
What if I glue my wings, and a have to replace a faulty servo?
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:51 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
I just tuck some extra servo wire between the servo and the entry point in the wing. If I need to replace a servo I take it out I have a inch or 2 of servo wire to give me room to change the broken cog in the servo or if necessary just cut the wire and solder a new servo on. I had to do this last week when I stripped a cog.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
One option is to look at the Build for the AXN on you tube (mentioned a little bit back here) the guy steps you through and deals with how to replace servos ... there are 3 videos.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston View Post

The plane binds and the servos move... the motor on the other hand just sputters/spins for a split second then "clikity clak" and nothing more. I didn't do anything to the motor. No Prop, No adjustments.

Ideas?
I'd say one of the three motor wires (phases) aren't connected properly. Probably a suspect bullet connector. So you don't over-discharge your battery, I recommend charging it before you progress too far. Good luck and keep us all updated.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member