HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
hendrnk - How are you getting on with that NTM 2200KV motor?

Having read your posts (and wanting to get a lot more speed out of my AXN) I also grabbed that motor and a 50A ESC and hooked them up today.

Gave it a two minute stationary test and it seemed to have quite a bit of grunt.

I asked my mates over at Parkfliers NZ what they thought it should go like and they seemed to think it's pretty insane performance right up to when the wings fly off or high speed flutter turns everything into confetti.

Have you tried yours yet? What size lipo are you using?

I'm getting a mate to shove a watt meter on mine tomorrow as I want to know how long I'll get from a 2200mAh 30c lipo. I just want to have a ball park idea of how long I can fly for before giving the AXN it's maiden.

I'm also thinking I'll need to reinforce the wings a bit. Up to now, (on my other AXN) I've used fibreglass reinforced clear tape covered with another layer of clear parcel tape. I've had some pretty good speed using the stock motor without worrying about the wings (which I glued in about three years ago when the plane was new) but it might need something more than that.

Any thoughts anyone?
trefor is offline Find More Posts by trefor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:32 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
A mate had one of those using it as you said and lost video while flying.

Apparently if the camera looses power for an instant you totally lose video until you push the buttons again.

Not sure if it was caused because he just used a plug in the video out and it lost connection. Maybe worthwhile wiring it into the camera and not use the video out plug.
I haven't tested it myself. I have all the parts, just need the time and co-operation of the weather (Melbourne ).

Are we talking about the same camera as the only output is a mini-USB (which has the video out signal when enabled in the firmware)? There is no separate video out plug.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:57 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Exactly the same camera with the mini-USB.

My mate does not know what stopped the video and he had the mini-USB plug in as good as he could.

Could have been a faulty camera so all the best with it but remember if you lose power for an instant you loose video until you push the button again. That is what he told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I haven't tested it myself. I have all the parts, just need the time and co-operation of the weather (Melbourne ).

Are we talking about the same camera as the only output is a mini-USB (which has the video out signal when enabled in the firmware)? There is no separate video out plug.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:46 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Whoops!, forgot the photos . No holes cut in the fuse for either keychain or FPV camera, and they can both be moved easily from aircraft to aircraft.
well actually the hole to shove in my osd inside well we see how it goes

thanks
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:26 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trefor View Post
hendrnk - How are you getting on with that NTM 2200KV motor?

Having read your posts (and wanting to get a lot more speed out of my AXN) I also grabbed that motor and a 50A ESC and hooked them up today.

Gave it a two minute stationary test and it seemed to have quite a bit of grunt.

I asked my mates over at Parkfliers NZ what they thought it should go like and they seemed to think it's pretty insane performance right up to when the wings fly off or high speed flutter turns everything into confetti.

Have you tried yours yet? What size lipo are you using?

I'm getting a mate to shove a watt meter on mine tomorrow as I want to know how long I'll get from a 2200mAh 30c lipo. I just want to have a ball park idea of how long I can fly for before giving the AXN it's maiden.

I'm also thinking I'll need to reinforce the wings a bit. Up to now, (on my other AXN) I've used fibreglass reinforced clear tape covered with another layer of clear parcel tape. I've had some pretty good speed using the stock motor without worrying about the wings (which I glued in about three years ago when the plane was new) but it might need something more than that.

Any thoughts anyone?
I did a flight test on the weekend but it didn't go as planned. Nothing related to the motor yet or speed. I was just getting the plane trimmed up but kept loosing control of the plane about 100 ft out. Tried a few different times thinking I had the problem fixed. It turned out to be an issue with the receiver 95% sure. So I'm replacing the receiver and fixing some of the damage on the nose & have another go this weekend.

Once trimmed up I will be ready for vertical take off may be.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Just found out, mu plane is in the country!!!!

Sitting at JHB customs.
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,652 Posts
Quote:
well actually the hole to shove in my osd inside well we see how it goes
Yes, the AXN is a bit on the small side for all this FPV gear. Best of luck Skellator, and keep those landings gentle!
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Thanks hendrnk

Let me know how it goes when you do fly it.

I'll do the same (he say's crossing his fingers)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:32 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Thanks hendrnk

Let me know how it goes when you do fly it.

I'll do the same (he say's crossing his fingers)
The engine sounds nice with 4S and 6x5 prop...just hope I got the angle of the engine correct for full throttle flight.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Plenty of room inside the body if you put the servos on the outside of the body like I have done and cut out the push rods inside the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Yes, the AXN is a bit on the small side for all this FPV gear. Best of luck Skellator, and keep those landings gentle!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Plenty of room inside the body if you put the servos on the outside of the body like I have done and cut out the push rods inside the body.
I was thinking the same thing but already cut a hatch on the right side of the fusalage so wiring my osd will post some picutre later, and also I be adding landing gear as hand lauch would be a pain if it get to heavy
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
I guess you know how to launch planes. Run fast and throw hard at the HORIZON only not up. That is a must for a heavy plane.

Do not do what a lot can get away with just popping it upwards as the planes are light and fairly fast motors.

Do not ask me how I know?

I have a HEAVY ElleBee with FPV gear and a 3000mah LiPo and was throwing it the right way to the horizon but it just kept landing with no damage. So I decided to do what you are not suppose to do throw it hard upwards and it came down very hard. Bugger - I'll never throw a plane upwards as it landed very heavy.

I eventually realised that one cell in the LiPo was bad. I learnt which I knew all along never throw a plane upwards.

As long as you have the C of G right the FPV gear should not be a problem. I just rev the motor quite fast before throwing. It is still my favorite plane apart from the flying wings.

Just put tape on the bottom of the plane and you do not need landing gear if the grass is not too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
I was thinking the same thing but already cut a hatch on the right side of the fusalage so wiring my osd will post some picutre later, and also I be adding landing gear as hand lauch would be a pain if it get to heavy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Sort of 'maidened' my AXN with the NTM 2200KV motor but spent the next minute or two fighting the controls. Managed to get it down in one piece though.

I reckon the c of g has shifted (which is no surprise really as it's not a light motor). I had balanced it with my finger tips but I'll have to double check as to where the c of g is exactly.

During the rather scary ride I only gave it half throttle and it seemed moderately powerful but it's far too early to say conclusively until I get some time to sort it all out.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:16 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Sort of 'maidened' my AXN with the NTM 2200KV motor but spent the next minute or two fighting the controls. Managed to get it down in one piece though.

I reckon the c of g has shifted (which is no surprise really as it's not a light motor). I had balanced it with my finger tips but I'll have to double check as to where the c of g is exactly.

During the rather scary ride I only gave it half throttle and it seemed moderately powerful but it's far too early to say conclusively until I get some time to sort it all out.
Even with a heavier battery I had to add weight to the nose. Without weight it balanced at 75mm, now its around 52mm. I've nearly repaired the AXN and ready to give it another shot.

I also have a very heavy 60amp HK ESC, I'm looking for a much lighter version which might help some what.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:26 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Be careful with the C of G as recently I had it JUST behind where it is suppose to be and I did four spiral of deaths before I realised it was the C of G. I had recently taken off a very light camera and small LiPo and that is what caused the problem.

If starting out make the c of g a bit forward and it will fly good. As recently mentioned, throw it hard and level not up in the air. If level the worst is you just land it and try again. Someone else to throw it helps but ensure they know to throw it hard and level as most just throw them upwards and if you lose air speed you just crash.

You might know all of this.

Quote:

Last edited by Firepower; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:10 AM.