HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
Is there a build video or pictorial somewhere for the ARF version from HobbyKing USA? I have never pieced together a plane from components before and I would love to see how it's done.

I watched the 3 part YouTube video and it was great but I'm having issues like...

I can't flex Ailerons because they're already connected. Do I need to disconnect the servo arm/control rod to flex the hinge and then reconnect? What tiny tool is required to get that nut off?

Best method for cutting out the fuselage to fit my Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C? Hobby knife? Coping saw? Serrated knife from kitchen drawer? I know I'll need to place the battery as far aft as possible. Are we talking about setting it between the Ele/Rud servos?

Are the servos in the fuselage glued in or just in there snug? I need to pull them out to get access to the nut on the bottom of the arm so I can free the control rods to connect them to the horns on the tail. I'd hate to tug on them and break something.

I've got one of these 6 Ch Orange RX that I'll be using. The plug from the ESC goes onto the Throttle pins right? RUDD, ELEV, AILE are all pretty straight forward?

How about a photo or two of what a finished canopy/fuselage should look like? I need to understand the placement of all these components a little better.

I wish I had a local club I could get to. Sure would be nice to have some 'in person' help. This thread is great but it's a daunting task to scroll through countless pages just to find what's relevant to me and my build.
1) Just undo the set screw and pull the wire going to the aileron. Then flex the aileron.

2) You need to glue the elevator & rudder servo in place, use Welders glue and use as little as possible in places so you can cut the glue out later if you need to change the servo.

3) You don't need to get access to the nut in future as you just undo the servo arm and then you can get to the nut anytime.

4) just need needle pliers or small snifter to tighten up the nut. Use blue lock tight and don't tighten the nut to much as it needs move with the moving servo arm.

5) You can cut the foam using a sharp hobby knife or anything that will cut foam. I used a soldering iron with knife blade. Sharp hobby knife is probably best.

Hope this helps...

Good luck with the build.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Last edited by hendrnk; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:35 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
445 Posts
I mounted the orange receiver onto the underneath of the canopy, just hot glued it on.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Hi had this plane for a while and love it. Anyone got a link on how to do the wing tip mod where you cut the ends off but are still able to put them back on?
rcfly4m3 is offline Find More Posts by rcfly4m3
Last edited by rcfly4m3; Sep 03, 2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:44 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
I mounted the orange receiver onto the underneath of the canopy, just hot glued it on.
Make sure you use a rubber band or a strap of some kind to keep the canopy in place then.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:16 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
943 Posts
Quote:
Is there a build video or pictorial somewhere for the ARF version from HobbyKing USA? I have never pieced together a plane from components before and I would love to see how it's done.

I wish I had a local club I could get to. Sure would be nice to have some 'in person' help. This thread is great but it's a daunting task to scroll through countless pages just to find what's relevant to me and my build.
Welcome to the addiction. I recommend updating your profile with your location as there may be people in your area that are willing to assist.

Wishing you all the best, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:53 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfly4m3 View Post
Hi had this plane for a while and love it. Anyone got a link on how to do the wing tip mod where you cut the ends off but are still able to put them back on?
There is no a "how to" as far as i know but its easy.. the hardest part is to align perfectly the carbon rods so they enter the main wing straight so the wingtip keeps aligned and the rods dont perfore either the wing or the wingtip (if they are missaligned they will).. its a simply common sense work.. mesure, check alignment and insert them .. i used a dremel to open the first channel inside either part but that inly gives you like 5cm

cutting the wingtip is easy.. any razor will do.. where to cut? i would suggest just where the dihedral begins (ie: where the wing begins to bend upwards)

Look some pages back in this post where i posted a pic of how i did it in my HawkSky (i added a blade winglet wich you dont need ) and a video of roovexer who did that mod in his CloudsFly .. he put 3 carbon strips per wingtip i used only 2.. but i only flew it couple of times... cant say if some day in the future my wingtips will fly away .. we both use tape tought some suggested magnets and im allready thinking in using them..

the absolute esential and important thing is : the leading and trailing edges MUST be well aligned after you put the wingtips back.. if they are not aligned you might have problems (like strange flexings, tipstalling , plane rolling to one side.. etc)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Sep 03, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Make sure you use a rubber band or a strap of some kind to keep the canopy in place then.
Or one of these little bolts you can get from HK, which gives a much neater job and is very secure.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:55 PM
just an earth-bound misfit
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,747 Posts
Quote:
I wish I had a local club I could get to. Sure would be nice to have some 'in person' help....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Welcome to the addiction. I recommend updating your profile with your location as there may be people in your area that are willing to assist.
Just by chance I decided to head out this morning and fly at a different field than the one I am used to. It just so happens that "Thirston" showed up there also and I was able to give him a few tips even though I neglected to bring my CF with me today. How's that for coincidence?
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Just by chance I decided to head out this morning and fly at a different field than the one I am used to. It just so happens that "Thirston" showed up there also and I was able to give him a few tips even though I neglected to bring my CF with me today. How's that for coincidence?
That's great. I love it how this hobby and RCGroups connect people. I'm sure he appreciated your assistance.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Thanks heaps JLT much appreciated
rcfly4m3 is offline Find More Posts by rcfly4m3
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
thanks richard9999, im going to chase down some of those latches for my cf fleet. that on the back with a fixed pin setup on the front is just what i need for my one(s)
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
Quote:
thanks richard9999, im going to chase down some of those latches for my cf fleet. that on the back with a fixed pin setup on the front is just what i need for my one(s)
You get a lifetimes supply (10) for about $6, though they will break if forced. What I do is put a small line on the wooden part directly above the hole, this makes it easier to align the bolt with the hole.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
My plane shouid be here soon!!

Now, to glue the wings, or not to glue the wings...
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
My plane shouid be here soon!!

Now, to glue the wings, or not to glue the wings...
Glue the wings only if you plan to never crash LOL.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Glue the wings only if you plan to never crash LOL.
I have wings glued from day 1, and have crashed many times since new and had no trouble repairing the AXN and it still flies nicely. It looks like a piece of >>>>
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk