HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
My main worry about such an approach would be tearing the hook from the foam when the bungee is under tension, but maybe this isn't a huge concern.
If you CA (not epoxy, which doesn't work that well with EPO) a small piece of plywood, preferably inset, to the bottom of the fuselage you should be able to put in a small-medium screw hook. Bend this to make an "L" shape for easy release.

I will probably try this approach for my DH-88 if I decide to fly it without retracts, since it seems impossible to land it without a cartwheel, wheels down, on grass, ut first I will test fly it ROG and then belly land.

My only decision will be which thickness of bungee cord to get - there are many different thicknesses.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Last edited by richard9999; Aug 17, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
Double Post
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
While you can buy rubber-only bungee launch cord like this ,this seems overkill for the AXN and maybe 3mm fabric covered cord like this, , would be better.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy5927 View Post
this thread is HUGE ... is there a must do mod right out of the box for this plane ?
hendrnks got it in one. I used HXT 900 servo's and a Turnigy 25 amp esc. Eventually I burnt the supplied motor out and replaced it with a Hyperion P1919.
Crashem Dave is online now Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Personally, I'd also suggest gently lubricating the motor by adding very light oil (I used sewing machine oil) to the bearing. I did this after running the stock motor for many hours and found an improvement in performance (all up only about $3 or so for the oil).

Again, personally speaking (because some of us don't like holes in our canopies), I'd add two or three air vent holes in the canopy and also in the fuse just below the canopy. The idea is to allow more cooling air in to keep the esc cool but equally important, out again.

I also ran fibreglass reinforced clear tape the whole length of the wing (from the fuse to the tip) both underside and on the top of the wing and then went over that with clear parcel tape making the total width of the tape about two to three inches. I've done some very high speed bunts (inverted loops) -not always on purpose- and have never folded a wing. Weight increase is virtually nothing. I now do this with all my models.

Having said that, I admit that for me, it's more important to improve the performance and have a bit more safety rather than keep the AXN looking perfect and I know everyone has different preferences.
trefor is offline Find More Posts by trefor
Last edited by trefor; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added text
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy5927 View Post
this thread is HUGE ... is there a must do mod right out of the box for this plane ?
I agree
I just received my axn and I want to put it together the best I can, but its taking me forever to get through this thread.
Thanks
DIYJIM is offline Find More Posts by DIYJIM
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYJIM View Post
I agree
I just received my axn and I want to put it together the best I can, but its taking me forever to get through this thread.
Thanks
This might help some.

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 1 of 3) (20 min 20 sec)

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 2 of 3) (26 min 34 sec)

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 3 of 3) (26 min 14 sec)
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:50 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Victapilot

Thanks for the Video....that is what I'm looking for in terms of performance....

Also, average flight times (mix flying....WOT, 1/2 throttle, foating, gliding......).

We more info

p.s.
correction....just saw your info your YouTube page:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5fB9kxLQ0
That motor is no longer available probably because they got too expensive at the wholesale level. However, I just happen to have 4 NIB (New In Box) for sale (due to my motor addiction). I want to keep one just for my own use some day. But, I would sell the other three to the highest bidder. Don't even bother with an offer of less than $25. After all, they are NO longer available at any price. The few folks that advertise them will tell you that they are out of stock at the moment (yeah, right... in between the lines means -Forever).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Is the standard (issued) glue good enough, or could you recomend a better glue?
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead_dave View Post
Is the standard (issued) glue good enough, or could you recomend a better glue?
Most report it works fine

I use PU and or Epoxy ... others use others but if you just want to get going use the stock glue it will be fine.

You might want ot put a few pin holes in the mating surfaces of the tailplane - always make sure it lines up with the wings so put the wings in first! (you don't need to glue them when it is new)
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:37 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Medium CA (not foam friendly) is excellent for EPO
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That motor is no longer available probably because they got too expensive at the wholesale level. However, I just happen to have 4 NIB (New In Box) for sale (due to my motor addiction). I want to keep one just for my own use some day. But, I would sell the other three to the highest bidder. Don't even bother with an offer of less than $25. After all, they are NO longer available at any price. The few folks that advertise them will tell you that they are out of stock at the moment (yeah, right... in between the lines means -Forever).
AJ
Do you mean the same inrunner that I have? I still have mine, like it. It would be great to see someone else try a new one, just to compare.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Medium CA (not foam friendly) is excellent for EPO
Thanks for all the feed back.

Why not foam friendly CA?
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
It doesn't stick well to EPO. It's intended for EPS only.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Do you mean the same inrunner that I have? I still have mine, like it. It would be great to see someone else try a new one, just to compare.
Probably. 2835-2200.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker