HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:16 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
What is largest sized 3S Lipo (without cutting up the plane) the AXN is comfortable carring?

Is 2200/3S, the most common size..?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:23 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
What is largest sized 3S Lipo (without cutting up the plane) the AXN is comfortable carring?

Thanks,
-mike-
To fit the 2200 battery you will need to do a little cutting of the cockpit due to the width of the battery. With a little bit more cutting you can fit a 2200 4S battery for added performance. (different engine & ESC is needed as well).
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:32 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
To fit the 2200 battery you will need to do a little cutting of the cockpit due to the width of the battery. With a little bit more cutting you can fit a 2200 4S battery for added performance. (different engine & ESC is needed as well).
Ha I forgot that I cut out the foam ribs that were inside. Soo long ago. Must be.nice having a new clouds fly.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:45 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post

Thanks,
-mike-
These X-Thin 2200's fit without any cutting at all. I've flown half a dozen times on these lipos and so far they have been great.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=7641
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
These X-Thin 2200's fit without any cutting at all. I've flown half a dozen times on these lipos and so far they have been great.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=7641
The Zippy compact 2200's have the same height and width, but are only 107mm's long. Has the same discharg rate but a higher charge rate (5 against 2)

Besides that it has less weight.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=21346
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:28 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,654 Posts
I have just bought the DH-88 Comet kit from Hobbyking, because I think I can build it lighter that the ARTF model with scale retracts etc. and avoid some of the problems this model is prone to due to its high wing loading. The kit needs two high kV motors since it uses scale 150mm/6Ē props and spinners, and the stock motors are not available to purchase. There was no obvious motor to use, so I thought I would test the AXN-2208 2150kV motor I had spare for my Clouds Flyer. I thought some of you might be interested in the results, I donít know if similar have been published before.

I needed to measure the thrust of the AXN-2208, and decided on a lash-up based on a prop balancer, with the prop pushing (in the correct direction) downwards onto scales. You can see from the photos how this was put together, but I wonít bother to describe it further as it is probably too dangerous, even with this small motor.

The results amazed me. When I tried my 500 gm precision scale, the thrust went off the scale. With the kitchen scale I measured over 600 gm/ 21 oz of thrust using a TGS 6x4 sport prop, at a peak 204W and 19A from an 1800 mAh battery.

Since my AXN Floater Jet with 1800 mAh battery weighs only 620 gm, this explains why it can go almost vertical, not bad for a glider. I ordered two more for the DH-88, quite an amazing little motor, and you will certainly be able to hear the DH-88 coming with two of them at WOT.

What of measurements for the stock 5x5 prop you ask? Well, I couldnít find the correct prop rings for my 5x5 props in the crowded prop drawer, and didnít bother to look too hard since most people report that the Clouds Flyer does much better with the 6x4 prop and I am quite happy with it.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Someone told me to try this motor, and its amazing!

Mega 16/15/4 (2200kv).... Its more expensive than the AXN Floater JET,
but its worth it.....

Easystar motor power measurement (0 min 44 sec)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,654 Posts
I think they are too large for the DH-88 nacelles (36mm dia vs 28mm dia, and much too long), almost twice the weight (76 vs 39 gm) and only marginally more powerful (23 vs 19A). I will stay with the AXN -2208 both for my Clouds Flyer and for the DH-88 to begin with. Thanks for the info anyway.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Will these 3s-2700mah Zippy Compact fit? or do we need a lot of cutting foam mods
to fit?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Last edited by LexusFPV; Nov 23, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Will these 3s-2700mah Zippy Compact fit? or do we need a lot of cutting foam mods
to fit?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Whatever battery within reason you put in the AXN it will fit with just a little widening of the slot. However too wide and you will have to cut the slot open so far that it blocks the cooling channels that run from the cool air intake in the nose to the back of the fuselage.This battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html. fits with a slight widening of the battery slot. The stated width is 22mm but it measures 24mm. The battery you posted is 44mm which will likely be too large and may block the cool air channel. The cheap Turnigy 3S 2200mah 25C Lipo i linked will fly my AXN for 15 minutes and be at storage charge when I land.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Someone told me to try this motor, and its amazing!

Mega 16/15/4 (2200kv).... Its more expensive than the AXN Floater JET,
but its worth it.....
I'm sure it's amazing...that's the same motor that's in my chopped Stryker. 125mph with an APC 6x4 sport prop and 2200mAh 4s battery.
Outlaw Stryker short version (1 min 30 sec)
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Murman,
thanks for that video buddy.....

I'm not going to use 4s-2200mah Lipo on the AXN,....

I have that Mega Motor, with 3s-2200/2650mah Lipo,
with 6x4 APCe prop.... '

Is that prop ok wit 3s flight lipo?

I dont think our AXN can be as aerodynamic as the Stryker.
I had a Stryker 2 years ago (flew it stock though).....
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Hi guys and gals, my axn floater is ready to maiden, hopefully tomorrow. I'm using a turnigy 2200 and aurora 9 transmitter.
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post
Hi guys and gals, my axn floater is ready to maiden, hopefully tomorrow. I'm using a turnigy 2200 and aurora 9 transmitter.
Have fun...mine has so many crashes rebuilds and still fly's like a floater. May not look as good tho. Its a great plane.

Yesterday I did 6 loops in a row and flew upside down for the first time in any RC craft. So I bought another one for looks and hopefully crash less keeping it looking nice.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Just been out with my AXN in some crazy winds here in the UK this plane is awesome fun my 5th flight with this plane i love it its awesome
AndyFlyRC is offline Find More Posts by AndyFlyRC