flies great with that motor.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Hi everyone, new the thread, just received my axn floater today

I bought the model with the motor attached but without servos and esc. Have read abit about the motor mount breaking loose, should I break the motor mount of by hand and reglue it or should I just glue around the edges? Epoxy glue seems to be recommended, though a little hard to get in the cracks between the mount and the fuselage. Thanks.
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:01 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post

I bought the model with the motor attached but without servos and esc. Have read abit about the motor mount breaking loose, should I break the motor mount of by hand and reglue it or should I just glue around the edges? Epoxy glue seems to be recommended, though a little hard to get in the cracks between the mount and the fuselage. Thanks.
Hi Matt_flyer --- probably not worth worrying too much first up .... I have one I never did anything to the mount in respect of glue and it is still flying - I only put some washers under the bottom screws. HXT900's work fine for servos and a 30amp speedie will suffice with a 2200 3S. Check out some of the build info on You tube some folks in NZ have a fairly comprehensive build log there.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:07 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
One problem with the epoxy resin is that it does not stick to the foam as well as the poly. I was able to peel the glass off the foam without much effort whereas the areas that I used the poly, It wouldn't come off very easily.

It's not noticeable as long as u dont beat the crap out of your clouds fly. Just a FYI.

Just an FYI anyone looking to get some serious power, the NTM prop drive 2200kv on a 4s with a 6x5.5 really hauls! Won't overheat much either. I used a 60 amp esc and a 2200mah 4s battery.
I have purchased the same engine and will try in a few weeks with a hobbyking 60amp esc and same battery. Good to know it works and hauls ....

I also purchased the 2700KV version of the engine, not sure why but just experimenting and see what happens. Will need to use a smaller prop for the increase in RPM.

Did you cut the wing end off by any chance to reduce drag.?.

Nigel.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:15 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Hello all FJ folks!

Have been reading some time now on this thread after I've bought my first airplane, and had my first run last Sunday. So as many with this particaly model I'm a complete beginner, and just starting to enjoy this hobby.

Recieved my AXN about 6 weeks ago from the HK German warehouse (I'm from the Netherlands) and started to build it by reading this and a Dutch forum. Also used the build video's on RCModelreviews Youtube channel. (Thanks Bruce!)

I had to wait for other parts during the build. The EU warehouse does not have as many parts so had to wait for several weeks on my orders from Hong Kong.

Just to add my 2 cents I'll post some info and photo's of my AXN setup:

- Got the ARF without motor
- Ordered the standard motor but also the Turnigy D2826/6 2200Kv
- Desided to use the Turnigy motor for the first build.
- Mystery 30A BEC Brushless Speed Controller (Blue Series)
* This turned out to have a 2amp BEC, so desided not to use it.
- This is what I use now: Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC
- Some HK orange servo's up front, and Turnigy 1800A for ailerons.
- Glued in a fiberglass spar in the tail.. I do think it makes it a bit tailheavy..
- 2x ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 3S1P 20C
- Placed the reciever (Hitec) in the front behind the battery
- Had the Boda reciever antenne going outside the canopy to als hold it better in place. Did use some velcro and even tape on my maiden flight just to be sure.

It turned out that in my first setup the CG was way to far behind the sugested mm's. Bought the 1800's Lipos so I could keep it light, but maybe I've should have gone for 2200mah's. I solved this with adding a battery cell checker in the front and some extra 15grams of weight in the nose.

I do think about ordering some ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack's
They seem to have a nice size and weight.

Here are some pics of the first setup:

- Question: what are those little bubbles under the wing (those small bubbles in round set's that is al over, not the big rounds) Do they have a function in air or is it from the mould process?

You build a very nice plane. Very professional. I will try better with my next plane!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:54 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
782 Posts
Quote:

I had to remove it because I wanted to mount the other motor from behind, but realy had a struggle to get it of. At first the top of the mount looked like it was not very good attached. Had to make severall cuts behind it with a sharp knife. I used hotglue to mount it back btw.

If you don't have the need, just leave it as is. Just attach the motor or maybe some extension on the mount and pull a bit on it. Be carful with the motor however.

If it does not easy move out of the foam your good to go.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Last edited by Justapoke; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:07 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
You build a very nice plane. Very professional. I will try better with my next plane!
Thanks ! Well I had to wait long for all te parts so I took my time with it. I just hope I won't crash it to hard during the next flights. All the hard work will be lost!

Another note for beginners that I just remember: I had problems with setting up the ailerons on my 6 channel Hitec system using the included Y-cable. If you have a computer based transmitter I suggest buying some extension cables for the servo's.

Because I glued the wings I had to cut a service hole under the fuselage and did some cutting in the wingcenter after that to route the y-cable out and new extensions in.

When I build it again (I allready bought a spare AXN kit) I do will cut a service hole again. Makes installing the ESC easyer. Tape has to go under the fuselage so it's not realy visable.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
I've been flying my AXN for over two years (and that's HARD flying) and never had any problem with the motor coming loose.
trefor is offline Find More Posts by trefor
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Thanks for replies. I won't worry about pulling it off then, I will probably add some epoxy around the edges tho.

How do the wings attach do you glue the spar in one wing only and then just push them together and let friction hold them on?

Thanks
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:23 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for replies. I won't worry about pulling it off then, I will probably add some epoxy around the edges tho.

How do the wings attach do you glue the spar in one wing only and then just push them together and let friction hold them on?

Thanks
hi, I would not count on friction only. there are a lot of ways to hold the wings together, you can see one of the ideas in my blog, the rest is scattered in this thread. the simplest way is to use velcro, some people also use tape (one wing - over the fuse - other wing)
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
782 Posts
I have everything glued together. Even the cap/cover on the spar, but not on the sides near the fuselage as that's the place where the servo wires are routed.

Also search Youtube for: "AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video"

Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:22 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I have purchased the same engine and will try in a few weeks with a hobbyking 60amp esc and same battery. Good to know it works and hauls ....

I also purchased the 2700KV version of the engine, not sure why but just experimenting and see what happens. Will need to use a smaller prop for the increase in RPM.

Did you cut the wing end off by any chance to reduce drag.?.

Nigel.
Nah. I actually just flattened the wings. The NTM motor is heavy, but with a 2200mah 4s battery it balanced pretty wll.
dcame002 is online now Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Nah. I actually just flattened the wings. The NTM motor is heavy, but with a 2200mah 4s battery it balanced pretty wll.
How do you squeeze a 4S into the tiny cockpit?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:41 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
How do you squeeze a 4S into the tiny cockpit?

Kev
there are some 2700's around that are no wider or thicker than a 3s 2200 just a bit longer. (I have some zippy's like that - white ones)
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:56 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
I will be using this 4s battery.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24637

The 3S battery have been using is not much smaller.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14978

Dimensions are very similar