SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2010
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unknown. I have over 300+ flights on my stock motor and the only thing I did was put rubber spacers in between the magnets (with CA, too) and that stopped all magnet problems. The rubber "spacers" that I used was a short bit of garage opener wire (we all have the extra length at home somewhere). Then, I strip the wire and use the insulation. The last spacer and magnet has to be almost forced into place. But, when patiently done, all magnet problems are solved. Below are a couple of pics of motors that I did before.
AJ
so the magnets are not glued at all? 300 plus flights is a lotfor a $9 motor...i will see if the ca glue i gave my magnets a bath with yesterday keeps them in place today..thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2010
1,848 Posts
CA kept all but 1 magnet from moving..i just glued that magnet,so next time i will see if they all stay put...did a full speed dive and pulled out at less then 10 ft from hitting ground ..man can this plane handle some tork
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
AJ

No. That particular AXN I bought without motor, ESC etc so I bought them separately. The planes still on that original ESC that I purchased.

After the initial couple of flights where I was quite disappointed with it's performance, I reckoned the problem was either the motor or the ESC.

So, when I finally had a bit of time available I ordered a new (even more powerful) motor and only put it on last week. It still didn't fly very fast (it was ok but only about the same as my other beat up-been in trees-stickers peeling off-old AXN.

So I reckon it's now time to try changing the ESC.

I will have a closer look at the prop today though just in case...!

Thanks for the suggestions.
trefor is offline Find More Posts by trefor
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
I haven't read back through the many hundreds of threads on the AXN but have many people cut the wing tips off theirs and found improved flight?

I've seen a video where the guy cut about 4 or so inches off and it really improved the roll ability.

So I've been thinking of doing the same for mine. However it would be good to know if there are any down sides before I go and do this. That guy (on the video) made it so his wing tips could just slot back on so obviously he was thinking that sometimes he might just want to float it around.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Speed is for the birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
so the magnets are not glued at all? 300 plus flights is a lotfor a $9 motor...i will see if the ca glue i gave my magnets a bath with yesterday keeps them in place today..thanks
Correct. Glue was not and still is not necessary. Plus, the distance between the magnets is always held perfectly.
If anyone wants OUTRAGEOUS power, use THIS.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Hey fellow CF owners...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22034206
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:17 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
Hey fellow CF owners..
That Post is inappropriate for this thread. Use the For Sale thread(s).
AJ
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
OK This is going to sound nuts (because I must be 'losin it') but I removed the prop from my AXN the other day and now I can't remember which way round it goes!

I'm using an APC prop.

Can anyone advise me which side of the prop faces the NOSE of the plane?

I think I'm having a blonde moment.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trefor View Post
OK This is going to sound nuts (because I must be 'losin it') but I removed the prop from my AXN the other day and now I can't remember which way round it goes!

I'm using an APC prop.

That's gold... The numbers on the prop (eg 6 x 5) always face the direction of travel (forward).
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:55 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
That's gold... The numbers on the prop (eg 6 x 5) always face the direction of travel (forward).
And if that don't make it obvious then the rounded side faces forward and the concave side faces the tail.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Not true. There are many prop manufacturers (Like Multplex) that have the numbers on the back to be correctly oriented.

Quote:

I'm using an APC prop.

You have the company of LOTS of folks. It is confusing to even answer the question of "which way does the prop go" because the numbers/letters on the prop are meaningless. Going with "A picture is worth ........" I think the picture below is probably the easiest way to explain how it all works.
AJ
P.S. I have posted that picture probably 100+ times.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Thanks guys. I was hanging my head in shame until I read AJ's post.

I'd never even given it a thought until someone here asked me if I might have my prop on backwards. Turns out it wasn't backwards so next job is to replace the ESC to see if that'll improve things.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2010
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Not true. There are many prop manufacturers (Like Multplex) that have the numbers on the back to be correctly oriented.

You have the company of LOTS of folks. It is confusing to even answer the question of "which way does the prop go" because the numbers/letters on the prop are meaningless. Going with "A picture is worth ........" I think the picture below is probably the easiest way to explain how it all works.
AJ
P.S. I have posted that picture probably 100+ times.
Yes this picture shows..just by looking closely at any prop its pretty easy to tell how to put in on correctly...The leading edge is always a bit thicker then the trailing edge
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2010
1,848 Posts
Quote:
AJ

No. That particular AXN I bought without motor, ESC etc so I bought them separately. The planes still on that original ESC that I purchased.

After the initial couple of flights where I was quite disappointed with it's performance, I reckoned the problem was either the motor or the ESC.

So, when I finally had a bit of time available I ordered a new (even more powerful) motor and only put it on last week. It still didn't fly very fast (it was ok but only about the same as my other beat up-been in trees-stickers peeling off-old AXN.

So I reckon it's now time to try changing the ESC.

I will have a closer look at the prop today though just in case...!

Thanks for the suggestions.
i think if u install a stock motor and 30-40 amp turnigy esc using a 5x5 stock prop u will be very happy with the performance...i have this setup with a 60 amp esc(over kill but works great) my favorite stut move is hitting full throttle about 200 feet up then down elevator when plane is approx 50 from ground i hit uup elevator till plane is going straight up then go full rudder and airlons and the plane spins up to the clouds...good luck!
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:50 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
wrong post