Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Mods are even more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brace View Post
Not sure why everyone is going to such efforts to alter the existing model. Just fly it as it is and have fun. Once you have fine tuned the control surfaces the plane flies like a dream and that is despite all efforts to the contrary
Just crashed mine into some power lines but no real damage and back up in the air again.
For me, modifying a plane is an integral part of the hobby. It is what makes it fun. Most important, I get to learn new things - even if it is what NOT to do. If I just assembled the CF and flew it, I would get bored quickly. I agree with part of what you said, though. It is FUN to fly. I also enjoy scratch building balsa planes, too. And we all know what happens when they hit mother earth. Even that, I treat as part of the hobby. I sort of look at the hobby as -> "If I never crashed, I would be learning nothing". Just sayin'
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Power Lines - no comment.

That is what I said in the post above yours "But on a Floater putting it centre works fine and if you are flying to the side you have the airframe bent some way etc."

But if people have the time it is good to experiment. On the Fox we had to experiment as it is only a $15 chuck glider. I could have done without the large amount experimenting on the Fox but I did learn a lot. But now you just buy this for $38 plus $9 postage and even PNF. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Or a Floater for a couple of dollars more. These were not around even a few years ago. Lucky buggers starting out now.

Quote:
Not sure why everyone is going to such efforts to alter the existing model. Just fly it as it is and have fun. Once you have fine tuned the control surfaces the plane flies like a dream and that is despite all efforts to the contrary
Just crashed mine into some power lines but no real damage and back up in the air again.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Gentleman I agree about experimenting but the essence of previous posts are people having difficulty flying the plane. This is to my mind not a case of making alterations to the design but perhaps people need to set the plane up correctly first then fly it have fun and after all of that get to the altering and experimenting stage. Not in any way am I being condescending or critical about peoples ability, after all we have been in their place at one time or another (power lines being accepted ) But until the plane has flown stock I think we can all agree that altering thrust lines etc are perhaps not really needed with this plane.
I am with you AJ on balsa planes and presently after having ripped a firewall out of an ARF now having fun altering it to something the original designers would have loudly announced as plain bloody crazy, but that of course is the fun of it
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:38 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Gentleman I agree about experimenting but the essence of previous posts are people having difficulty flying the plane. This is to my mind not a case of making alterations to the design but perhaps people need to set the plane up correctly first then fly it have fun and after all of that get to the altering and experimenting stage. Not in any way am I being condescending or critical about peoples ability, after all we have been in their place at one time or another (power lines being accepted ) But until the plane has flown stock I think we can all agree that altering thrust lines etc are perhaps not really needed with this plane.
I am with you AJ on balsa planes and presently after having ripped a firewall out of an ARF now having fun altering it to something the original designers would have loudly announced as plain bloody crazy, but that of course is the fun of it
Ah. got it. Well said. I agree. IMO, You have fully redeemed yourself.
AJ
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Thanks, much thought required to back out of a tricky position and yet explain my point Maybe I should take up politics.... nah I already model airplanes
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:05 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Problem is my mount goes glued since i dont change the motor often... so i would need to do a wood support to bolt it so it could be removed (tap bolts) without cutting out the glue again
I would use a mount that can be shim adjusted, since it would help fix the problem. If you insist on gluing back as before, then I would put it on straight.

Then I would test.

1, does it still dive to right with power?

2. With a pusher prop and reverse rotation, does it still dive right with power?

If answer to 1 is no, stop, no more problem, else goto 2.
If answer to 2 is no, maybe problem is fixed (?). If it still goes right, not torque but something else (the list is long...)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Thanks..

but one question... if the plane gravity center is ahead of the motor (ie where the thrust comes as this is a pusher) and the motor is tilted to the right (looking from behind and above) wouldnt it "rotate" the plane to the right?

Right now the plane rolls right when under power..
I agree with everything that victapilot posted. I would just add one thing, though. Please do a dive/glide test before you do the stuff he suggested. In the sequence of things, a dive/glide test must be correct Before you do the power tests. I am pretty sure he will agree with my suggestion.
AJ
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:35 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I agree with everything that victapilot posted. I would just add one thing, though. Please do a dive/glide test before you do the stuff he suggested. In the sequence of things, a dive/glide test must be correct Before you do the power tests. I am pretty sure he will agree with my suggestion.
AJ
Right on!!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,888 Posts
Quote:
You are a bad man and should not be flying near power lines ....

Oh and yes it is a fun plane to fly ... and surprisingly seems to fly regardless of how banged up I make it ... (I hit trees ... )
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Last edited by mutha; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
You are a bad man and should not be flying near power lines ....

Oh and yes it is a fun plane to fly ... and surprisingly seems to fly regardless of how banged up I make it ... (I hit trees ... )
Yes many a person at the club are in shock when I drag out my axn as it is looking a bit worn but then so would I be with well over a hundred flights, in fact the log book is now recording 118 with more coming today. Yeah I know keep clear of power lines people, flight paths, trees etc

Glenn
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:02 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I know you are probably after one in a hurry, but our friends at HobbyKing sell them for $1.71.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18197

Or you could use a buddy code and pick one up for $1.09.

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...=0&y=0#catalog

At that price order a couple.
Oh man didn't know they sold them separately. Oh well. Next time I put an order in I'll get a few. I'm gonna attempt to make one out of fiberglass in the mean time OR look harder at the field.
BrightCap232 is online now Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
Oh man didn't know they sold them separately. Oh well. Next time I put an order in I'll get a few. I'm gonna attempt to make one out of fiberglass in the mean time OR look harder at the field.
I can send you a paper trace of the canopy The generic bottles (here anyway) have no flutes or anything and useing part of the neck for where the magnet end is I can get 2 out of a bottle. Pop a little screw in the top and CA it for the magnet end and cut a little slot in the other end for the capture block.

Cheap, quick and easy - I will put a photo up - I just paint the inside and voila!
Last edited by mutha; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, KY
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Mutha
Could I also get a copy of the paper trace? Thanks
blurted is offline Find More Posts by blurted
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurted View Post
Mutha
Could I also get a copy of the paper trace? Thanks
PM sent.

Maybe I can put up a quick full size plan. That can be printed off. Just have to work out how to do that.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, KY
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Appreciate the pictures, it looks good and beats paying for a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
PM sent.

Maybe I can put up a quick full size plan. That can be printed off. Just have to work out how to do that.
blurted is offline Find More Posts by blurted