SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Painting EPO can be tricky as the paint tends to come off quite easily. I would recommend covering film instead.

If you really want to paint I would suggest first masking the area to paint, then using a light coat of white auto primer then acrylic sprayed with an airbrush. Possibly a coat of water based clear acrylic lacquer on top.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:20 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,126 Posts
Looks like no more spiral of deaths. Four was enough.

It was as you mentioned AJ - centre of gravity too far back. Thanks again.

Looks like a few of us had the c of g creep back for various reasons and mine was not far behind the centre of the wing rod cover. I used to have additional weight on the nose but not using the plane for a while and misplacing the additional weight, that is what happens.

I put a large 2200mah in and four large washers on the nose and the c of g was near the front of the push rod cover. I like it well forward. The Floater flew perfectly today and after a while I turned on the FY20 and even glided and landed really well with it turned on.

Now that it is going good I'll have to set it up for FPV again.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:46 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Towards the word WAY in that photo but only 2 degrees which is just about nothing.

It is this way in the attached photo.
Thanks..

but one question... if the plane gravity center is ahead of the motor (ie where the thrust comes as this is a pusher) and the motor is tilted to the right (looking from behind and above) wouldnt it "rotate" the plane to the right?

Right now the plane rolls right when under power..
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:20 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Painting EPO can be tricky as the paint tends to come off quite easily. I would recommend covering film instead.

If you really want to paint I would suggest first masking the area to paint, then using a light coat of white auto primer then acrylic sprayed with an airbrush. Possibly a coat of water based clear acrylic lacquer on top.
There's a thread about painting EPO. Best results after lightly sanding, then priming with CA.
I agree that covering with low temp Econokote works well, looks good forever. I've done it on another plane. Only concern is keep temperature at just enough to get good adhesion. Too much heat raises the surface "corn effect"
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Thanks..

but one question... if the plane gravity center is ahead of the motor (ie where the thrust comes as this is a pusher) and the motor is tilted to the right (looking from behind and above) wouldnt it "rotate" the plane to the right?

Thrust angle isn't a simple rotation on the CG. Remember the CG we normally test and adjust for is in the pitch axis. Correct thrust angle is a black art combination of motor location, vertical fin location, location above or below the aerodynamic center-of-drag, CG, etc. Fortunately most of this work is usually done for us or the effect is negligible. The simple answer is to experiment. Simply adding washers between the motor and motor mount will allow you to easily adjust the angle. If you don't like it, land and change the washer combination.

I just had a quick look at my clouds fly (which hasn't been crashed/repaired...yet...) and there is a very slight offset to the right as you have previously been advised. I would simply put a thin washer under each of the two left screws and give it a test.

Good luck and keep us all informed.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks..

Short answer - Yes.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Short answer - Yes.
AJ
So now i have someone telling me to tilt the motor to the right and other someone telling me to tilt it to the left
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
Quote:
So now i have someone telling me to tilt the motor to the right and other someone telling me to tilt it to the left
And as I said earlier, mine is on straight, so now take your pick LOL.

It might not be only torque. The propwash goes back like a corkscrew, and the rudder is close to the prop.

I like suggestion from AUS, put it straight, fine tune if needed with washers. I would check rudder also.

Another thought: I use standard props, if I had that problem, I would try a pusher prop and reverse the rotation. Might learn something..
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Jun 15, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I agree with victapilot. Do both. Let us know which one works for you.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Problem is my mount goes glued since i dont change the motor often... so i would need to do a wood support to bolt it so it could be removed (tap bolts) without cutting out the glue again
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Does anyone have a spare canopy? I lost mine at the field
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
Easy to make from a water bottle

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1286846530

Go to thread tools and view attachments there are few examples.
here is mine,
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Jun 15, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
I know you are probably after one in a hurry, but our friends at HobbyKing sell them for $1.71.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18197

Or you could use a buddy code and pick one up for $1.09.

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...=0&y=0#catalog

At that price order a couple.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,126 Posts
This is the photo I have used as an example for years and no one has said it is wrong. If it is I would like to know. It is for a normal prop and not a pusher prop.

But on a Floater putting it centre works fine and if you are flying to the side you have the airframe bent some way etc.

I am just going by experiments I did with a small Fox but on the Floater you may have to turn the motor a fair bit to get a reaction.

I thought it was right after post 10554.

Checking google on this matter is a bit hard but this one is interesting for checking the up/down angle of the motor.
Demonstration of a method to check your pusher-motor thrust angle. (1 min 22 sec)

Quote:
Thanks..

Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Not sure why everyone is going to such efforts to alter the existing model. Just fly it as it is and have fun. Once you have fine tuned the control surfaces the plane flies like a dream and that is despite all efforts to the contrary
Just crashed mine into some power lines but no real damage and back up in the air again.
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace