Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,656 Posts
I use the stock motor with a 25-30A ESC and went straight to the TGS 6x4 prop since many said this gave better performance. I also use an Turnigy 1800 mAh 20-30C battery since this saves 20-30gm over the various 2200 mAh options and gives perfect CoG. With this set-up the plane gives enormous loops. Hate2crash, I notice that the stock motor replacements are in stock at HK, why not just buy one and fit it with the 6x4 prop?

The weight saving from the 1800 vs 2200 mAh battery is important to me as I will shortly be fitting an FPV backpack to the plane just in front of the motor. This currently weighs some 60gm but I might be able to get it a bit lighter by removing the VTx heatsink and shrinking the Sony camera, or by constructing one of the small backpacks currently being developed by Bruce from RCModelreviews.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
I use the stock motor with a 25-30A ESC and went straight to the TGS 6x4 prop since many said this gave better performance. I also use an Turnigy 1800 mAh 20-30C battery since this saves 20-30gm over the various 2200 mAh options and gives perfect CoG. With this set-up the plane gives enormous loops. Hate2crash, I notice that the stock motor replacements are in stock at HK, why not just buy one and fit it with the 6x4 prop?

The weight saving from the 1800 vs 2200 mAh battery is important to me as I will shortly be fitting an FPV backpack to the plane just in front of the motor. This currently weighs some 60gm but I might be able to get it a bit lighter by removing the VTx heatsink and shrinking the Sony camera, or by constructing one of the small backpacks currently being developed by Bruce from RCModelreviews.
so you use the HK 25-30A esc that sells at HK for $6.00...I ordered that one and a HK redbrick 30A along with another motor 2 days ago... i have had horrible luck with the stock motors....Do You or anyone else know of a motor that can give best performance and not have problems...I want to order another axn Floater and make it even faster then the stock version which does 71 mph...the one i want will do appox 80-85 top speed...i think this plane can handle it i may add some carbon rods...All i need to know is what prop and motor to order...I will be running sky lipo 1800 packs...thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
I run an $8, 1800KV 2822 motor @ 3S 1800mAh, 30A ESC and a 6x5.5 prop to keep rpms, noise, and weight down a bit. Speed is not an issue to me - the plane got me started out in RC, and I wanted it light (less prone to damages in crash) and simple.

Works very well - Motor and ESC barely get warm, but battery gets a bit warm because it's showed all the way fwd, partly blocking inside airflow. Never had an issue with it.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Prop stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
The stock prop worked great with stock motor untill i lost motor...my quetion is this...anyone know what type if any performance diffence between the stock 5x5 and a 6x4 prop when mounted on stock 2150kx motor...thanks
I have used both (and a lot others) many times. Short answer - 6x4=more thrust, 5x5=more speed.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Need more info

Quote:
Is this M.A. 7x4 a normal prop or reverse rotation?...Also when you are looking at motor from tail side is the rotation clockwise...i want to make sure when i mount a new motor and different prop it is spinning in coorect direction ...thanks
Not enough info.
AJ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
I think the 2200 kv Micro jet motor will be a good choice does anyone know if i use reverse rotation 6x4 prop like this one http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ps-c-4_69.html or a different 6x4 prop ...or maybe the v3 micro jet could handle a 6x5 prop i just don't know...i can install a 40 amp esc if need be..thanks
Last edited by hate2crash; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I think the 2200 kv Micro jet motor will be a good choice does anyone know if i use reverse rotation 6x4 prop like this one http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tric6x4reverse rotation-p-513.html or a different 6x4 prop ...or maybe the v3 micro jet could handle a 6x5 prop i just don't know...i can install a 40 amp esc if need be..thanks
Ok on the V2. If you are looking for more speed, don't stop at the v3.
AJ
P.S. You might want to edit your post and fix your link. It won't work for you either.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ok on the V2. If you are looking for more speed, don't stop at the v3.
AJ
P.S. You might want to edit your post and fix your link. It won't work for you either.
I fixed link above for grays hobby..please let me know if those reverse rotation are the correct props...thanks for all your help! http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ps-c-4_69.html
Last edited by hate2crash; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I fixed link above for grays hobby..please let me know if those reverse rotation are the correct props...thanks for all your help! http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ps-c-4_69.html
Yes.
AJ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
I'm running an 8x4 prop on my 150g 2250kv inrunner. It flies nicely, not as fast as before, but ok for a beat up plane.
This video from today.

AXN Inrunner 8x4 prop (3 min 38 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I'm running an 8x4 prop on my 150g 2250kv inrunner. It flies nicely, not as fast as before, but ok for a beat up plane.
This video from today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_M4...e_gdata_player
Looks pretty fast to me and sounds great...what was your before setup? Also did you just angle motor more upward or also mount it higher up to fit that 8x4 on...and does'nt it handle quite a bit different than stock setup? thanks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
Quote:
Looks pretty fast to me and sounds great...what was your before setup? Also did you just angle motor more upward or also mount it higher up to fit that 8x4 on...and does'nt it handle quite a bit different than stock setup? thanks
Thanks! It previously ran with a 6x6 3blade and bigger ESC. I currently have a blue HK 40a ESC. The motor had more power when brand new too.

The plane is heavier because of this big motor and collet, but still floats. I reinforced aileron and elevator hinge lines with hot glue to avoid flutter, so they are a bit stiffer than stock.

I angled the motor so the shaft points at the top of the rudder. This is to give almost hands off trim at wot. It helps with prop clearance, an 8 inch prop fits with a few mm to spare.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
The stock prop worked great with stock motor untill i lost motor...my quetion is this...anyone know what type if any performance diffence between the stock 5x5 and a 6x4 prop when mounted on stock 2150kx motor...thanks

5X5 -> faster, less amp drawn = more endurance , less climbing capacity

6X4 -> climb faster and steper , more amp drawn = less endurance, slower.

The 5X5 is ok for all arround flight with endurance in mind.. 6X4 is better for fast climbing and aceleration and acrobatics.. but will loose a bit of speed and battery will endure less under same throotle demand

Sorry to repost by judging from this pic:

Should i tilt the motor to the left or towards the right of the photo?

Also now i found that the motor mount was loose.. maybe it could also move a bit under the torque
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
5X5 -> faster, less amp drawn = more endurance , less climbing capacity

6X4 -> climb faster and steper , more amp drawn = less endurance, slower.

The 5X5 is ok for all arround flight with endurance in mind.. 6X4 is better for fast climbing and aceleration and acrobatics.. but will loose a bit of speed and battery will endure less under same throotle demand

Sorry to repost by judging from this pic:

Should i tilt the motor to the left or towards the right of the photo?

Also now i found that the motor mount was loose.. maybe it could also move a bit under the torque
I ordered a micro jet v3 2200kv as i heard it is a very powerful reliable power plant... and i should be able to leave my 50 amp esc installed with no issues..i ordered 3 different APC props 5x5,6x4,and 6x 5.5...i will test and post my results of this setup...thanks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Cloads fly sticker removal Question...Anyone use a hair dryer to remove these stickers or does the foam get messed up? I ask because my next cloads fly i order i want to put a custom paint job on...can anyone recomend good brand or type of spray paint as i never painted a foam plane before...thanks