SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
My apologies. I can sure tell that I did not ask the question correctly. You answered my question exactly as I asked it. What I meant to ask was - Who made the 1360Kv motor (in post #10550) and what are its specs? TIA.
AJ
P.S. Is it this motor? http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma58-2210-1360kv.html
If so, that is the same one I burnt up on a 4S.
the motor i ran yesterday is exceed 1360kv optimum outrunner motor..demensions are very close to stock size its rated for up to 3s...i used stock floater prop and ran 4 -1800 packs back to back...battery was cool 50 amp esc cool and motor cool...that is a very smooth running motor it cost $16.00 from nitroplanes.com it cam with spinner and i was able to use a larger prop insert and it fit perfectly...I am just not sure if the motor is not as strong as stock floater or i just need more prop and more pitch....if it were a boat i would add higher pitch prop and next size diameter...but i am totally new to planes...if i could get a prop that gave me close to the stock setup i originally had i would be very happy ...Heres the motor i installed on my axn http://www.nitroplanes.com/75m12-opt...08-1380kv.html ..thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. I have no idea where you would put a 4th LiPo anyhow.
2. It wouldn't. Worse than that, that motor was NOT designed for a 4S Lipo and a fire would probably be the result - That is what happend to me when I did that.
3. Me, too. I have a hard time believing that you have all defective motors. But, stranger things have happened. I would not rule that out. Keep us informed. I, for one would really like to know how many of those motors end up being usable.
Finally -
Please, Please, Please, get a Watt Meter - OOS. But THIS one is in stock but it is 2X more expensive. For me, I would pay the extra just to have one. When all of the guys are messing around with different props, motors, or ESC's, the WM is our guru. Without it, the guessing that one must do can cause damage that far exceeds the cost of a WM. If I have to type another please, I would be begging. But, I would beg if you will just do it. When you have #'s to share, any of us can be a LOT more helpful.
AJ
P.S. Here is what happened when I put a 4S on my motor: see pics...

I used 1800mah 4s, just needed to remove a little foam up front.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8461

As you know, it takes a correct combination of voltage, prop size and ESC. Definitely agree a wattmeter is useful!!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
the motor i ran yesterday is exceed 1360kv optimum outrunner motor..demensions are very close to stock size its rated for up to 3s...i used stock floater prop and ran 4 -1800 packs back to back...battery was cool 50 amp esc cool and motor cool...that is a very smooth running motor it cost $16.00 from nitroplanes.com it cam with spinner and i was able to use a larger prop insert and it fit perfectly...I am just not sure if the motor is not as strong as stock floater or i just need more prop and more pitch....if it were a boat i would add higher pitch prop and next size diameter...but i am totally new to planes...if i could get a prop that gave me close to the stock setup i originally had i would be very happy ...Heres the motor i installed on my axn http://www.nitroplanes.com/75m12-opt...08-1380kv.html ..thanks
I ran a somewhat similar motor on 3s with a 6x6 3blade.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2305
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:52 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

from your video on that post emax motor? i use them on my quad , it can handle 6x6? i use them with 10x4.5 props on my quad
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:03 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
from your video on that post emax motor? i use them on my quad , it can handle 6x6? i use them with 10x4.5 props on my quad
I ran that way for maybe 6mo. Eventually a bearing got gritty and I replaced the motor.

A 6x6 might be close to a 10x4.5, but a rough check could be made with a calculator. I use this one, but its good to know actual rpm.

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?castle

Well, I checked with my cellphone app, a 10x4.5 runs 200w at 10000rpm, a 6x6 3blade requires about 18000rpm to go 200w.
Last edited by victapilot; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,326 Posts
Quote:
I ran that way for maybe 6mo. Eventually a bearing got gritty and I replaced the motor.

A 6x6 might be close to a 10x4.5, but a rough check could be made with a calculator. I use this one, but its good to know actual rpm.

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?castle

Well, I checked with my cellphone app, a 10x4.5 runs 200w at 10000rpm, a 6x6 3blade requires about 18000rpm to go 200w.
that emax motor is known with bearing problem I have at least 10 of then, 4 of them have bearing problem you can actually hear crackling sound from the motor after few use, still it a good all rounder motor

what the apps you are using to measure the RPM?
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Quote:

Any idea if the KV was same as mine which is 1360? Also its hard to see the planes performance from that video...would it do fast loops like the stock motor does...Also does local hobby shop have these 6x6 props...i would think with a 6x6 -2 blade would even get better performance,dont u think..thanks
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Any idea if the KV was same as mine which is 1360? Also its hard to see the planes performance from that video...would it do fast loops like the stock motor does...Also does local hobby shop have these 6x6 props...i would think with a 6x6 -2 blade would even get better performance,dont u think..thanks
The motor I used was this one, not the Exceed, but similar size, weight. 1500kv.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423

I use an optical tach. The apps for rpm have possibilities, the best for brushless rpm are the gadgets that read pulses from the ESC. The app I referred to is RC_calc, basic but useful.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Quote:
The motor I used was this one, not the Exceed, but similar size, weight. 1500kv.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423

I use an optical tach. The apps for rpm have possibilities, the best for brushless rpm are the gadgets that read pulses from the ESC. The app I referred to is RC_calc, basic but useful.
so how was the performance with that motor and prop..did it match the 2100 kv stock motor performance? that has very close kv rating to my exceed..thanks
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
SOOO I lost my prop about as far up as I have ever been.... Took around 15 minutes to bring it back in. I wasnt in a rush just slowly cruising back in. I know it was just from using a really old o-ring on my prop saver, that and the 90+ temps we had today. I love my axn
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Had a great 20 min flying yesterday before the rain pounded in. Focused mostly on getting the trip spot on and flying at half throttle. The plane flew like a dream, steady even height with no roll or any sign of crankiness. There were times when I did not have to give any input at all. With this set up I just practiced approaches and even turns flying a regular circuit. I am sure it was boring to watch but lots of fun to do and really good practice for the bigger planes. Best plane to take to the field, when there are problems with the other planes this one always comes up trumps
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:40 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
so how was the performance with that motor and prop..did it match the 2100 kv stock motor performance? that has very close kv rating to my exceed..thanks
I never had the stock motor, but I could do belly slide takeoffs, loops, rolls. Speed was better than a few EasyStars at the field.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:24 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
SOOO I lost my prop about as far up as I have ever been.... Took around 15 minutes to bring it back in. I wasnt in a rush just slowly cruising back in. I know it was just from using a really old o-ring on my prop saver, that and the 90+ temps we had today. I love my axn
Must have been high up

Did you get the feeling that loosing the prop improved gliding?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
The Floater Jet pusher prop type planes suffer from the lack of possibility to use a large propeller. Raising the motor will increase thrust torque too much. So you have to use a small diameter prop. In order to achieve sufficient thrust from this, you need more RPMs, more KVs.

The Floater is designed for a 2100KV motor, and everyday use have shown, that a 6x5 prop works well with this. It may strain the stock 20A ESC (RTF version), but it does wonders for the plane.

So the options are limited: Use a 5" (stock) or 6" prop and use a motor with sufficient RPM/KV for that. 3S LiPo + 1350KV + 6x5 will get you airborne, but performance will be poor.

Happy landings
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Axn fpv first flight

Bukidnon, Philippines... FPV(First Person View) (4 min 53 sec)

My axn floater jet with T-45 jet canopy.. hehe i cut the front part and it looks good for me..
dhonwyn is offline Find More Posts by dhonwyn