HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,318 Posts
Well im beggining to think my CF is cursed


Today i took her to the field to test after its reconstruction... right after taking off it was near uncontrolable.. it was constantly wanting to nose up and roll to one side..it was quite windy with south wind (the worst kind) but not to justify that.. i managed to get it down safelly .. i noticed the ailerons in neutral were not totally centered (one of them) wich is weird.. i recentered it and it flew better but still weird.. still did strange things..

and then when flying over some nearby trees it just went crazy.. slowed down and tipstalled.. i tried to get it back and managed for a short time but was like if it didnt wanted to fly.. it spiraled and fell nose down straight into the ground.... again

Nose is a bit smashed up... again but now the rudder servo is jammed.. and i dont think its the servo.. is like something is wrong with the controls....

Not the best idea to try with that wind.. it wasnt any strong but seemed to be quite nasty and gustsy..at least at fly level..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
I wonder if the fuselage is bent, could give equivalent of up elevator.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,318 Posts
It doesnt look like..
Well i have mostly repaired (more slapor soup) the fuse and will glue cracks tomorrow as well as replacing the casualy wich is the rudder servo ..it got jammed and now it just free wheels so i take the bearings just gave up.. well it was one of the 2 original servos and it had 2 years 3 months of service.. it will be replaced by a XT900

I think im beginning to see what may happent.. today the plane lost control as it passed in nasty (gustsy ) wind conditions over some trees... the sunday long range incident the plane was gliding back without power and it was aproaching a hill side full of trees...

Its not the first time a tree eats this plane so im beginnign to think the plane was just in low speed and turbulent air from the trees knocked off .. makes sense?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,318 Posts
ups.. double post
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,560 Posts
I still have a AXN ARF in the box. Can the stock motor handle a 6x4 APC prop?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I still have a AXN ARF in the box. Can the stock motor handle a 6x4 APC prop?
it will do well with 6x4 but you might want to chage the stock esc for that
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
it will do well with 6x4 but you might want to chage the stock esc for that
It's an ARF with only the motor. I'd drop in a 30 amp ESC with S-BEC.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:29 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well im beggining to think my CF is cursed

Today i took her to the field to test after its reconstruction... right after taking off it was near uncontrolable.. it was constantly wanting to nose up and roll to one side..it was quite windy with south wind (the worst kind) but not to justify that.. i managed to get it down safelly .. i noticed the ailerons in neutral were not totally centered (one of them) wich is weird.. i recentered it and it flew better but still weird.. still did strange things.
My AXN is a bit of a hand full too. It likes to roll right when power is applied and launching is always a race between launching and getting my hand on the stick fast enough to counter the sink rate and the right roll. I am unsure if the roll is just due to motor torque or the rotating wind from the prop hitting the tail surfaces or both.

I fly the AXN like a powered Glider. At the top of the climb I have to cut the power in a bank turn. If I don't do it that way it does a few porpoise episodes before it settles into a good glide. Maybe it is too nose heavy but the CG is in that 50 to 55mm range.

All in all I can handle the AXN but it is a bit of a chore due to these quirks. I would like to know if my AXN is setup badly or is this the way the plane is?
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Welcome its nice to have you here! As you can see by my username, this is my favorite plane I have. I am still running the old reccomended 20amp esc but man does it get hot. If you have any questions, post them here. These guys are awesome and have helped keep me flying for quite a while

Thanks for the welcome, I also like it to much of this aircraft, I have made ​​many great flights, only better because they're not the tail ta little heavy, has put some weight on the nose, but still have not found the right amount, but nothing has q very clumsy flights, so q get a nice video, vo aqi post, I have ever flown late afternoon, the video ai ta getting too dark. hug
marcos freire is offline Find More Posts by marcos freire
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:56 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
My AXN is a bit of a hand full too. It likes to roll right when power is applied and launching is always a race between launching and getting my hand on the stick fast enough to counter the sink rate and the right roll. I am unsure if the roll is just due to motor torque or the rotating wind from the prop hitting the tail surfaces or both.

I fly the AXN like a powered Glider. At the top of the climb I have to cut the power in a bank turn. If I don't do it that way it does a few porpoise episodes before it settles into a good glide. Maybe it is too nose heavy but the CG is in that 50 to 55mm range.

All in all I can handle the AXN but it is a bit of a chore due to these quirks. I would like to know if my AXN is setup badly or is this the way the plane is?
I have had 3 of these and I don't experience the same issues. Of course it is not possible to say you have yours set up badly .. sometimes it is radio or servos or whatever. I gave one to my brother along with a cheaper radio setup ... he had trouble flying it ... when I tried I found that the 'feel' was not the same and I had to fight it a bit.

However all that said and done they are a great bird to fly and when set up properly are quite predictable (given all the known issues - tip stall etc. from slow flight and the need to add a little down to the motor angle, etc. etc.)

CoG is very important, as is getting a good amount of differential working and ensuring that the flight surfaces are all in correct alignment. Washers under the bottom mount screws for the motor help alleviate some of the dipping.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
I have had 3 of these and I don't experience the same issues. Of course it is not possible to say you have yours set up badly .. sometimes it is radio or servos or whatever. I gave one to my brother along with a cheaper radio setup ... he had trouble flying it ... when I tried I found that the 'feel' was not the same and I had to fight it a bit.

However all that said and done they are a great bird to fly and when set up properly are quite predictable (given all the known issues - tip stall etc. from slow flight and the need to add a little down to the motor angle, etc. etc.)

CoG is very important, as is getting a good amount of differential working and ensuring that the flight surfaces are all in correct alignment. Washers under the bottom mount screws for the motor help alleviate some of the dipping.
My AXN is running the stock servos and ESC. The battery is a 3s 2200 Turnigy pushed all the way up front. The Rx is a 6 channel Orange and the Tx is a DX6i. Although I took a few years (25) off from flying I am no newbie so when I look at my AXN I do not see anything out of whack. The Airframe is straight, the control surfaces are level and the CG is where it should be at the carbon rod.

The other day I was a little slow at getting to the stick on launch and the AXN did a complete 180 degree turn before I corrected. With no power it glides straight and level so I can only come to the conclusion that it is the motor and prop wash that is causing the plane to roll and turn when power is applied. It is hard to understand what is going on given that your AXN's do not have this issue.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
My AXN is a bit of a hand full too. It likes to roll right when power is applied and launching is always a race between launching and getting my hand on the stick fast enough to counter the sink rate and the right roll. I am unsure if the roll is just due to motor torque or the rotating wind from the prop hitting the tail surfaces or both.

I fly the AXN like a powered Glider. At the top of the climb I have to cut the power in a bank turn. If I don't do it that way it does a few porpoise episodes before it settles into a good glide. Maybe it is too nose heavy but the CG is in that 50 to 55mm range.

All in all I can handle the AXN but it is a bit of a chore due to these quirks. I would like to know if my AXN is setup badly or is this the way the plane is?
Just my experience of 2 month flying AXN, I launch my AXN with 50-60% power I don't really need to race to the stick usually it will pickup speed and climb, but I alway launch the plane with my left hand (mode 2 tx here) while my right hand is ready on the ELE/AIL stick

I dont have much drama with handling the plane, guess something wrong with your AXN, I even can sit down on my folding chair (which I always bring to flying site) and go hunting for thermal
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:56 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Is it the same as AJ picked up on my Floater, the C of G too far back.

I am starting to think the C of G on the centre of the wing rod cover is too far back. I'll be trying mine at least at the front of the cover next time.

Really what you described is the same as mine has been doing and our latest estimation is the c of g is too far back.

I think you mentioned you were flying in a bit of wing. I usually put extra weight on the nose to get penetration.

I reckon put some more weight on the nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well im beggining to think my CF is cursed


Today i took her to the field to test after its reconstruction... right after taking off it was near uncontrolable.. it was constantly wanting to nose up and roll to one side..it was quite windy with south wind (the worst kind) but not to justify that.. i managed to get it down safelly .. i noticed the ailerons in neutral were not totally centered (one of them) wich is weird.. i recentered it and it flew better but still weird.. still did strange things..

and then when flying over some nearby trees it just went crazy.. slowed down and tipstalled.. i tried to get it back and managed for a short time but was like if it didnt wanted to fly.. it spiraled and fell nose down straight into the ground.... again

Nose is a bit smashed up... again but now the rudder servo is jammed.. and i dont think its the servo.. is like something is wrong with the controls....

Not the best idea to try with that wind.. it wasnt any strong but seemed to be quite nasty and gustsy..at least at fly level..
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:05 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
You say your plane is straight but I would put some photos up here and someone may pick something. One from the front showing the tailplane just above the wing, one side on of the tailplane and some motor shots.

With a Floater trimmed right on a calm day you should be able to put your transmitter on the ground and throw the plane. Just trying to explain how easy they should be to launch.

Floaters do not normally porpoise so there is something wrong and it seems the C of G must not be back at all or there will be trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
My AXN is a bit of a hand full too. It likes to roll right when power is applied and launching is always a race between launching and getting my hand on the stick fast enough to counter the sink rate and the right roll. I am unsure if the roll is just due to motor torque or the rotating wind from the prop hitting the tail surfaces or both.

I fly the AXN like a powered Glider. At the top of the climb I have to cut the power in a bank turn. If I don't do it that way it does a few porpoise episodes before it settles into a good glide. Maybe it is too nose heavy but the CG is in that 50 to 55mm range.

All in all I can handle the AXN but it is a bit of a chore due to these quirks. I would like to know if my AXN is setup badly or is this the way the plane is?
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
I've got mine setup and ready to maiden, but am a bit confused about balance. The COG is the wing spar, correct? It seems nose heavy and I can't move the battery (2200 3s) back anymore. The club members suggested taping a penny or nickel to the bottom of the elevator. IS this necessary? I don't see anyone here trying to make it balance backward, only forward.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools