Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:16 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Hi all -
Here is just a tidbit to make the HK and r2 systems easier to work on. You do not have to use the "binding" jumper. You can just toss it. I sure got tired of going back to my drawer full of rcvrs to find another one. Well, I won't leave you in the lurch any longer. Just use any servo and plug it into the bat port. Then, do your usual routine to bind the tx and rx together. Cool, huh. You will no longer have to worry about losing or misplacing that blasted little jumper or forgetting it when you go flying. Hope this works for all of you. Let me know. I have ONLY tried it on the HK and r2 rcvrs and it works great. I hope this info is of some use to you folks after all the super info that you have shared with me. Thanks all.
AJ
All you're doing to put any of these 2.4 GHz receivers into bind mode is pulling down the signal pin of the battery connection to a logic low, which is ground. Technically, as long as the connectors match, you can use any brand of bining plug on any brand of rx.

Apparently with the HK and r2 receivers, a servo's input circuitry is enough to pull down the sginal pin low enough to trigger bind mode. It may or may not work for other brands.

Why are you binding so often? Once you bind an rx to a tx, you should be done, and never have to bind again until you get a new transmitter. You especially shouldn't need the bind plug each time you go flying, as you imply.

Do these HK receivers 'forget' what tx they're bound to if they are left off for a length of time?
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:12 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
All you're doing to put any of these 2.4 GHz receivers into bind mode is pulling down the signal pin of the battery connection to a logic low, which is ground. Technically, as long as the connectors match, you can use any brand of bining plug on any brand of rx.

Apparently with the HK and r2 receivers, a servo's input circuitry is enough to pull down the sginal pin low enough to trigger bind mode. It may or may not work for other brands.

Why are you binding so often? Once you bind an rx to a tx, you should be done, and never have to bind again until you get a new transmitter. You especially shouldn't need the bind plug each time you go flying, as you imply.

Do these HK receivers 'forget' what tx they're bound to if they are left off for a length of time?
I have only tried this on HK and r2 receivers. I do not know if it will work on other systems either if you read my earlier post. Meanwhile, it is a bit long to explain why I use binding more than once. I have 22 flying planes with mixed 72mhz (12-all ch 40) and 2.4ghz (10-HK and r2 receivers) and 8 transmitters (5-72 & 3 2.4). I always leave one of each in the car (and a laptop for the 6ch r2 transmitter) to eliminate handling them. When I go flying, I throw in 3-5 planes that I feel like flying. Almost all of them are usually bound to the transmitters in the car. But, when I work on them occasionally in my hobby room (upstairs at the back of the house), sometimes I need to tweak them. So, I bind them to the 6ch transmitters in my hobby room (using a desktop and micro flash memory). Then, I rebind them when needed at the field. Believe me, the trek from the hobby room to the garage is a bit of a nuisance. So, there you have it. It is more time efficient to rebind rather than walk. Oh, I have 6 chargers for those days that I go through 5-6 batteries. This hobby is so inexpensive, it is reasonable (for me) to buy extra stuff to save time. Oh, I have a binding extension on all my 2.4ghz planes so I don't have to take them apart to rebind them. And, of course, all planes have a nylon hold-down quick release latch for the wings so I don't have to deal with rubber bands. All of these things are just personal preference time savers and everyone is different. This is what works for me. I hope someone gets a chance to try the rebinding with a specktrum system to see if it works. Let me know.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Feb 23, 2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:20 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I have 22 flying planes with mixed 72mhz (12-all ch 40) and 2.4ghz (10-HK and r2 receivers) and 8 transmitters (5-72 & 3 2.4).
AJ
What the heck do you keep 8 Transmitters for!!! I have a large number of models (15 at last count, if you include the dead ones and project ones) and I have two transmitters.... My main and a backup in case the main fails on me.

Sell the cheapo brands from any RR Plane off, and you can buy more useful gear with the money.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2005
391 Posts
The stock in arrived in my hand, it will appear in my site soon after I took some photos.

The weight I measure it is 2.257kg, it is only airframe with ANX 2208 motor, I don't think add servo and ESC on it would over 2.5kg, don't worry, it would not reach 3.4KG, it is impossible, unless I use one more box to containing the packing box, but this is not necessary really.

The selling price would be $59, shipping cost for 2.3kg is 31 to USA. It is no difficulty to repack it to be 2 kg, the shipping cost is $26. May be I will set the shipping weight in 2.3kg original weight first, upon customer request me repack it, I will refund $5 that customer paid for the shipping cost when check out. If not receive this request, I will ship it as the original packing 2.3kg.
CWNG06301 is offline Find More Posts by CWNG06301
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyTheBear
What the heck do you keep 8 Transmitters for!!!
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Good question. I haven't really thought about much. But, Here goes:
1-72mhz stays in the garage for my driveway flyer (Slow Jazz).
1-72mhz stays in my car for various flyers.
1-72mhz stays in my wifes car with my SlowMoWatt.
2-72mhz stay on my workbench (1-4ch & 1-8ch)
1-2.4ghz stays on my work bench
1-2.4ghz stays in my car
1-2.4ghz 6ch is swapped between my car and work bench. (I need another one. but, I am going to wait for the 9ch from HK)
So, that is how I use them. Oh, I have 3-27mhz systems that I don't use at all. I won't even count the # of AirHogs and Parkzone xmitters I have (about 7). But I use one of the parkzone systems for a 2.4ghz Ember which I love to fly in the living room. It is not worth the time to sell the "overflow" systems on Ebay. I simply give them away to anyone who comes by my flying field that bought an ARF that needs a radio system. So, that is that. Meanwhile, I am sitting here waiting for my AXN to arrive so I fly it. I have several extra receivers and ESC's, etc. So, I won't want for anything when it arrives. I hope to use it for an AP plane with the 9ch from HK (3ch's for the AP) when it is in their stock. I still have not found a suitable AP plane yet.
AJ
P.S. In summary, I guess I am lazy too.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWNG06301
The selling price would be $59, shipping cost for 2.3kg is 31 to USA. It is no difficulty to repack it to be 2 kg, the shipping cost is $26. May be I will set the shipping weight in 2.3kg original weight first, upon customer request me repack it, I will refund $5 that customer paid for the shipping cost when check out. If not receive this request, I will ship it as the original packing 2.3kg.
Sorry..... You haven't listed the shipping to the UK???? So far as far as I can see your price of $59 without servos or ESC is a bit high, when Hobby City have it for $67 with 4 servos and an ESC.

So unless your shipping charges are way less than theirs, this wouldn't be the best deal on it..... Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Me too. I am looking for another one (AXN) for my son.
AJ
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyTheBear
Sorry..... You haven't listed the shipping to the UK???? So far as far as I can see your price of $59 without servos or ESC is a bit high, when Hobby City have it for $67 with 4 servos and an ESC.

So unless your shipping charges are way less than theirs, this wouldn't be the best deal on it..... Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
UK a bit of expensive, 2.5kg, original packing is US$ 39, repack to 2 kg is US$34, the postage rate from HK to UK and FR is much expensive than other countrier
CWNG06301 is offline Find More Posts by CWNG06301
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:59 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
UK a bit of expensive, 2.5kg, original packing is US$ 39, repack to 2 kg is US$34, the postage rate from HK to UK and FR is much expensive than other countrier
Thanks! ..... Yeah! I knew it would be more expensive. It's always is more expensive.

It's also more expensive to send something from the UK to the USA than it is to send something from the USA to the UK. Go figure that one! Apart from the fact that we get ripped off for everything in the UK, with most stuff at twice the price it is in HK or the USA.

To be honest I think I'm going to pass on this.... The Easystar with the same motor only configuration (no ESC or Servos), is only 43 in the UK. So by the time I've paid $59 and $39 shipping this just doesn't add up. Thanks anyway.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Last edited by FozzyTheBear; Feb 24, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Ill have one on order tonight, Thanks Philip.

Having a lot of experience with the Easy Star it should be interesting to compare.

I mean right out the door it has ailerons and a brushless motor so it has much more possibilities.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Esc?

Quote:
The stock in arrived in my hand, it will appear in my site soon after I took some photos.

The weight I measure it is 2.257kg, it is only airframe with ANX 2208 motor, I don't think add servo and ESC on it would over 2.5kg, don't worry, it would not reach 3.4KG, it is impossible, unless I use one more box to containing the packing box, but this is not necessary really.

Is the ESC (18a) included? Your site is not real clear on this.
AJ
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
Can someone translate the whole shipping/repacking thing and tell exactly what comes with it?

Seems it doesn't come with servos and ESC? Why?

So about $20 cheaper than HC, but without ESC and servos?
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
Can someone translate the whole shipping/repacking thing and tell exactly what comes with it?

Seems it doesn't come with servos and ESC? Why?

So about $20 cheaper than HC, but without ESC and servos?
No servos. The original packaging brings the total weight to just over 2 Kg, bumping it up to the next highest postage range. Phillip said he can 'repackage' it to get it under 2 Kg, which saves about $5 postage to the US.

Motor and props are included, but it is unclear at this point if the ESC is included. No servos are included.

All in all, if you already have servos laying around, this is a marginally better deal than the Hobby City/King deal with esc and servos, but not by very much. You're saving around $20-$25.

Hobby City:
AXN Floater-Jet w/esc and four servos: $67.79
Shipping to the US: $41.74

Philip Workshop RC:
AXN Clouds Fly - no servos: $59.00
Shipping to the US: $31 no repacking. $5.00(?) savings with repacking.

If you have to buy servos (and possibly a brushless ESC) anyway, I'd go Hobby City. I'm not sure what Philip does to repackage the aircraft to make the parcel lighter, but hopefully it doesn't affect the integrity of the package during international mishandling.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:07 PM
Joined Nov 2008
313 Posts
I'm pretty new at the whole RC thing. I have a few helis,but I think I want to try a plane...would this be a good one to start with??
I have a programmable Tx and some 2200mah batteries, so all I need is a receiver I guess...anything else, like different props????
In the future would it be too hard to add a FPV setup to this plane???
glenwyatt is offline Find More Posts by glenwyatt
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Actual Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
No servos. The original packaging brings the total weight to just over 2 Kg, bumping it up to the next highest postage range. Phillip said he can 'repackage' it to get it under 2 Kg, which saves about $5 postage to the US.

Motor and props are included, but it is unclear at this point if the ESC is included. No servos are included.

All in all, if you already have servos laying around, this is a marginally better deal than the Hobby City/King deal with esc and servos, but not by very much. You're saving around $20-$25.

Hobby City:

Philip Workshop RC:
Shipping to the US: $31 no repacking. $5.00(?) savings with repacking.

If you have to buy servos (and possibly a brushless ESC) anyway, I'd go Hobby City. I'm not sure what Philip does to repackage the aircraft to make the parcel lighter, but hopefully it doesn't affect the integrity of the package during international mishandling.
I got an email from Phillip. NO ESC. So, here is what it looks like to me:
Hobby City:
Total - $109.53

Philip Workshop RC:
Shipping to the US: $26.00 w/repacking. (His site defaults to repack).
Servos from HC 4-Hxt900 @3.65 = 14.60 (apples to apples)
Hex Pro 18A ESC (cheapo) - 15.60
Total - 115.20
So, you would have to pay about $6 MORE to buy it from Phillip IF you had an ESC and servos laying around (that you already paid for). But, if you didn ot have the servos and ESC, you would have to pay shipping for them too. So, the only possibilities that I can see opening is to pay $6 more for the whole plane. Also, check the other prices on his site. Especially, ESC's. He is 2-3 times higher than HC on his parts and carries very little parts stock. Not for me. Paying less for shipping to pay more total cost does not make sense to me. I pass.
AJ

P.S. I can see though that Tommy has a lot of time invested with Phillip and loyalty is certainly worth the $6.
Last edited by ajbaker; Feb 24, 2009 at 05:52 PM.