HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
You guys and your fancy pants gyro stabilizers anyone using gyro's to help with fpv on this bird? Really getting bit by the fpv bug and this thing seems like it would be perfect for it. Made a few tests with my old turnigy cam and they came out pretty good on my rigged platform. I have sense ordered the 2 servo tilt/pan setup from hobbyking. Cant wait for that to get here!
I have two FY20s mainly because I THOUGHT I needed everything going for me but it turns out it is not needed for FPV. My best FPV plane is an Elle Bee flying wing and it turns out I can keep it level very easily without any stabilization.

I started years ago trying to do FPV and it was a long road for me as something new came along and had to change things and I did a lot of testing the video etc.

But now it is simple just buy a 200MW 5.8ghz TX and RX and put on a clover leaf antenna on the TX and a SPW on the receiver or helical antenna would be better. I use a patch antenna with eagletree diversity and a SPW up high on a stick. I have made my own CL and SPW antennas.

Try your Turnigy camera first and it will do but later on if you want a good camera get this one: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

But even get a 2.8 lens from various places including dealextreme.com I think HK have them now. The important thing is getting the camera pointing correctly which sometimes can take a while. Basically you need the horizon high up on the video so you can see a lot of ground.

Starting off I would not worry about pan & tilt on the plane. I have 3 made up here and have just put one on an EasyGlider which I have not flow FPV yet.

Years ago on the ground I bought a big tripod with a big pan tilt but never had time to get the tracking working. This is only a good thing if you are going long distances but my mate just went 15klm with his ScoutBee and no pan tilt on the ground or on the camera on the flying wing.

I had a mini nano camera on the Floater but before I got to use it much I took it off and put it on a MiniSwift but will put another FPV setup on the Floater after I get it going good again.

There is a bit of information but the idea first is to keep it simple and you can grow from there.

(Just a brief discussion on things like FPV are allowed here)
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 04, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:55 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
Well.. it wasnt much hard despite the looks.... still remains to finish reinstalling electronics and testing but i say it will still be flying..

Ahhhh.. Elapor soup..is there anything it cant do? (sorry i didnt took photos of how it was before.. it was quite smashed i can say)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
What is elapor soup? I know what elapor is.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
What is elapor soup? I know what elapor is.
EPP, EPO and Elapor are basically the same (there are some differences but the principle is the same) and behave also the same..

When you smash or hit EPO it either brokes or "dents" or bents .. denting and bending is compressing the "bubbles" that compose the material... the trick is that heat will make those compressed bubbles expand to their original shape (and beyond) .. so if we have a EPO plane with some part smashed or bent.. sumerging that part in hot water will make the damaged compressed bubbles to expand back to shape and the part will regain its original shape..

Elapor soup is a name coined time ago wich consists in boiling water (actually the ideal temp for me is when it starts to boil shut down the kitchen so it doesnt begin to boil... just before boiling) and sumerge the part in for some time .. you take it out from time to time to check ..

In the process also the bubbles will expand beyond their shape meaning it will get a corn surface.. that can be mostly "ironed out" using the outside part of a big spoon and "smoothing" the surface down while its still how

So far results have been quite good for me.. and what parts arent bent or smashed ie: broken they can be simply glued back together..

So far i just got smashed nose and a partially broken tail base .. but i have seen pictures of people having their EPO planes smashed to small bits.. splited in more than 2 parts ... motors and so separated .. and they managed to get them back to shape

example of my previous soup

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
<SNIP>
Elapor soup is a name coined time ago wich consists in boiling water (actually the ideal temp for me is when it starts to boil shut down the kitchen so it doesnt begin to boil... just before boiling) and sumerge the part in for some time .. you take it out from time to time to check ..
<SNIP>
Wow. Nicely done. I am curious about one thing though. Is that old paint on the nose or dirt? I know, I know, something about curiosity and cats..... TIA.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Firepower, that was extremely helpful and I just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that up and not just say "use the search" Winds are up in the high teens today and video footage came back a little choppy but its not TOO bad. I am not transmitting back from this plane as of yet, just recording to an sd card then putting it on my laptop. I will have to check out the plane you listed but since this is what I have right now, it should be a good first fpv platform
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Yes, very helpful reply. I learned something today. Thank you.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Wow. Nicely done. I am curious about one thing though. Is that old paint on the nose or dirt? I know, I know, something about curiosity and cats..... TIA.
Oh.. thats what remained of the nose paintjob after i removed as much as possible..

I use acrylic paint for this (tamiya orange to be precise) but acrylic has a problem when you sumerge it in hot water... it falls down in tiny sand-grain size drops and it does in millions of them..

i learned the hard way because the first time i did the Soup those tiny orange acrylic paint grains ended EVERYWHERE .. it took me forever to clean the pot .. the kitchen and virtually everything.. i have found them in the most unlikely places..

So now if im doing the Elapor soup i just remove as much paint as possible.. for that i just use tape.. stick tape and rip..and it will take away paint.. but it needs to do literally docens of times

Overall a quite anoying and time consuming process.. it would shorten a lot if the nose is left unpainted
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
I use acrylic paint for this (tamiya orange to be precise) but acrylic has a problem when you sumerge it in hot water... it falls down in tiny sand-grain size drops and it does in millions of them..

So now if im doing the Elapor soup i just remove as much paint as possible.. for that i just use tape.. stick tape and rip..and it will take away paint.. but it needs to do literally docens of times

Overall a quite anoying and time consuming process.. it would shorten a lot if the nose is left unpainted
I am glad I asked. I will be very careful in the future if/when I paint the nose of any Elapor fuselage. Thank You.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:56 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Firepower, that was extremely helpful and I just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that up and not just say "use the search" Winds are up in the high teens today and video footage came back a little choppy but its not TOO bad. I am not transmitting back from this plane as of yet, just recording to an sd card then putting it on my laptop. I will have to check out the plane you listed but since this is what I have right now, it should be a good first fpv platform
As FPV is not popular here on this thread make sure before you buy FPV equipment that you check the FPV forums thoroughly or send me a post to ensure you are buying the right stuff and not wasting money.

I understand what frequencies you use over that part of the world but on 5.8ghz I know of 5 different transmitters and if you buy the wrong one you can waste money. I started with one that only takes 3.3v and I need a separate power supply but there are 5v and 12 v ones out there that are good for all sizes of planes.

All the best with yours. I also have a DVR but have it going into a small monitor so you can see if everything is all right. I have goggles but a mate has a 15 inch monitor coming off the DVR and he flies by that. He puts it on a table and puts up a 3 metre by 3 metre (about 3 yards in your language) cover and he can see the monitor great to fly by. Also do not buy the cheap goggles they MUST be at least 640 by 480 resolution. Fat Sharks are good but there are others now.

All the best.
Col
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 06, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:43 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
I bought the Clouds Fly largely for use as an FPV test platform, although I have since discovered it is a great aircraft in its own right . I use the Hobbyking 5.8 GHz VTx/VRx combination. These both say they need a 12V supply but I have the VTx working perfectly well from the main aircraft LiPo via a 9V L7809 IC regulator following the recommendation of Bruce from RCModelreviews. It is monted on a video "backpack" which can attach easily to a number of aircraft or multicopters. The VRx and cheap LCD screen (to begin with) work off their own LiPo and are mounted on a tripod. I am waiting for the completion of a couple of Cloverleaf antennae from this thread and some calmer weather before trying this out in the field.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:11 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Smashed my Cloudsfly into lots of pieces last Sunday! I stupidly flew it into the sun, got myself half blinded, chucked the transmitter at my friend standing by me, but it ploughed in at full throttle before he could recover it! Tail and engine pod have snapped clean off, and the nose is in about 10 pieces! I'm normally an optimist when it comes to sticking together foamies (lots of practice!) but I think this one is just too far gone! At least I can re-use the flying surfaces and the electronics, and though the lypo took a wallop, it still seems ok! Replacement ARF on its way!
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
good morning people, I would like to introduce myself, I'm Marcos Freire and a native of Brazil. this is the first time I'm posting here in forun, but I've been reading all these pages a month, since I bought a model airplane "axn clouds fly." I have found here that various changes in forun as 25amp ESC, which have fixed on the outside of the fuselage. I've done around some 10 flights, I had a fall in the third flight, oq damaged the nose of the fuselage and also left the same, but everything was already recovered and returned to flight perfectly, use 1800mAh battery, you need to weight the nose, is my first model airplane, and to worship, and recommend to everyone. now thanks to everyone who helped me directly and indirectly.
marcos freire is offline Find More Posts by marcos freire
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
to the guys talking about the "elapor soup"...... All I can say is thank you. I have never tried this before. I was doing inverted passes about 2 feet off the ground with my micro 35mm edf f86, nosed it in. Compressed the foam a solid inch. Took what I read here yesterday, got some water almost boiling and stuck the nose in. Let it get a little bigger than it should, smoothed it out with a spoon and it looks brand new. So thank you guys, all the help and advice and information we share here is what makes this place so great. Sorry for the off topic novel, just needed to say it
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos freire View Post
good morning people, I would like to introduce myself, I'm Marcos Freire and a native of Brazil. this is the first time I'm posting here in forun, but I've been reading all these pages a month, since I bought a model airplane "axn clouds fly." I have found here that various changes in forun as 25amp ESC, which have fixed on the outside of the fuselage. I've done around some 10 flights, I had a fall in the third flight, oq damaged the nose of the fuselage and also left the same, but everything was already recovered and returned to flight perfectly, use 1800mAh battery, you need to weight the nose, is my first model airplane, and to worship, and recommend to everyone. now thanks to everyone who helped me directly and indirectly.
Welcome its nice to have you here! As you can see by my username, this is my favorite plane I have. I am still running the old reccomended 20amp esc but man does it get hot. If you have any questions, post them here. These guys are awesome and have helped keep me flying for quite a while
RCG Plus Member