SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 02:14 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito View Post
when you figure out how to mount this will you give us a small how to. i have been trying to figure out a good way to mount these style motors.
I know that some people might criticize my idea, but i use the cross mount provide and secure it with 2mm screws directly to the existing plastic motor mount.
The issue comes that you can only get 3 screws in.
However, 3 screws is stronger than the glue holding the plastic to the foam - ask me how I know this

I'll take a photo if anyone is interested.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Last edited by pghern; May 04, 2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: sic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 04:25 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
I know that some people might criticize my idea, but i use the cross mount provide and secure it with 2mm screws directly to the existing plastic motor mount.
The issue comes that you can only get 3 screws in.
However, 3 screws is stronger than the glue holding the plastic to the foam - ask me how I know this

I'll take a photo if anyone is interested.
actually if you look into older post we have a few ppl already using X mount on AXN here some examples from a guy named nakelp86

skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Well, I put the new motor in the AXN today...and gave it a spin. Boy, its fast! I hit 2500 feet in about a minute! Will have video up today/tomorrow.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old May 05, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Here it is!!

AXN Floater Jet --- Flown Very Fast!!! (4 min 1 sec)

Old flight time: 7:30 WOT the whole time.
Now, I will get about 3:30-4:00, WOT the whole time (as long as the esc doesn't shut off).

I am planning on putting a 3000mah lipo in it. Should get 5 minutes then.
Last edited by mamba max1; May 05, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 02:27 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
OK AJ, here is the slope video!

This is my Floater Jet on the slope in pretty high winds (the more experienced guys on the field estimated it to be 30-40km/h, perhaps even stronger). I used the motor only during the first few seconds of the flight, to make sure I won't crash upon launch.

It was a "spot-landing competition" day in the club. Prior to the first flight, I got smashed to the ground by a turbulence on the very edge of the slope (mental note: avoid the edge if you are not high enough). The wing broke in two just where the rod ends. Ouch! Fortunately, I had my UHU Por with me, 15 minutes later I was ready to fly again.

The total duration of this flight was some 15 minutes, my son filmed it with a cell phone camera.

This plane ROCKS! The other guys had much much better planes (all-CF, 3-4m wing span, 3-5kg weight) and they said they were very positively surprised by how good the FJ did.

A few flights after the flight shown on this video, I was able to land within 6-7 meters from the landing spot, three times in a row (as I said, it was a spot-landing competition today, therefore I know... and no, I don't have a video of that, so I could also be skewing the truth here ). Unfortunately, on the fifth flight, I messed it up completely and crashed the plane pretty hard. Competition was over for me, but the fun was GREAT and I learned a lot about gliding from my club colleagues.

Oh, and the plane is already repaired. A bit of hot water, a bit of 10-minutes Beli-Zell (very very nice glue!), and that's about it.

Enough talk, here the video:

AXN Floater Jet on the slope (2 min 31 sec)
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old May 05, 2012, 06:20 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,248 Posts
Very nice on the slope. If I didn't already have one, I would definitely get one after watching your video - it is such a versatile plane. Did you need to add any extra weight and/or put the CG more forward?
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old May 05, 2012, 06:41 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Nice paint job, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
OK AJ, here is the slope video!

This is my Floater Jet on the slope in pretty high winds (the more experienced guys on the field estimated it to be 30-40km/h, perhaps even stronger). I used the motor only during the first few seconds of the flight, to make sure I won't crash upon launch.
Wow! I am sure that is more wind than I have EVER flown in. Nicely done. Great video. What motor did you use?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 05, 2012, 10:22 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Wow! I am sure that is more wind than I have EVER flown in. Nicely done. Great video. What motor did you use?
AJ
motor look like stock motor to me but i doubt he using any motor power as he said slope soaring motor not allowed he only using the motor when launching so his motor does not play any roles at all! i always envy those slope soarer it amazing how the can make a plane float with any motor only precision control! it mind bogling heehe
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by skellator; May 05, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 11:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
Here it is!!

http://youtu.be/FdSEkGCE8Nc

Old flight time: 7:30 WOT the whole time.
Now, I will get about 3:30-4:00, WOT the whole time (as long as the esc doesn't shut off).

I am planning on putting a 3000mah lipo in it. Should get 5 minutes then.
What motor do you use?
AJ
Old May 05, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
What motor do you use?
AJ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150710857387...84.m1423.l2649

Though, its black.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:36 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
Thank You. I just ordered one from RCTimer for $10.34 (to my doorstep). It looks like the same specs. as the one you linked. I sure liked the sound of yours and the vertical. Very cool. I guess I could use one of my microdan motors. But, what the heck. For ~10 bucks, I just ordered it.
AJ
P.S. Keep your city clean..
Old May 06, 2012, 04:14 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Thanks AJ! As skellator said, the motor is stock, but it's only function on the slope was to add some weight to the plane. The complete flight was without any motor usage, that's what makes the slope experience so unbelievable.

You can see how fast the plane moves when going downwind. The tricky part is to make sure one moves faster than the wind when flying downwind prior to landing without the help of the motor. This is what I did wrong in the fifth competition round. It looked fast as hell compared to the ground, but it was too slow compared to the air. Suddenly, the controls stopped responding (no sufficient air flow) and I crashed. It took me so by surprise that I forgot to add some thrust to save the plane. On the slope, you forget that there IS a motor available.
Old May 06, 2012, 04:21 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Very nice on the slope. If I didn't already have one, I would definitely get one after watching your video - it is such a versatile plane. Did you need to add any extra weight and/or put the CG more forward?
No, I just flew it with CG as always. The only thing was that I needed more weight, much more weight, but if I added much more weight, the wing load would have become too high. That wind was about the absolute maximum for a FJ (in this application) I think
Old May 06, 2012, 07:46 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Thank You. I just ordered one from RCTimer for $10.34 (to my doorstep). It looks like the same specs. as the one you linked. I sure liked the sound of yours and the vertical. Very cool. I guess I could use one of my microdan motors. But, what the heck. For ~10 bucks, I just ordered it.
If that's the RCtimer 2208/8 that's the same I have, also on a 6x4. Flies like mamba's, unlimited vertical and sounds like a nitro. Lots of fun.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old May 06, 2012, 08:04 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
US warehouse has them in stock now
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232