Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
for gyros You guys might want to try OpenAero too:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568554

those KK board are cheap, I have yet to try as some of my friend said "it glider why you need gyro on it?" but that wont stop me trying later on but not now
Yes, and the op is putting one on a cf according to a recent post. I'm interested for flight stabilization on all channels for inflight video.

This is a typical 3 axis board

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a168PA%5F.html
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Apr 20, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:35 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Does anyone know what the CoG measurement is for the floater jet?
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
You could just search this thread or use google or try this link http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Yes, and the op is putting one on a cf according to a recent post. I'm interested for flight stabilization on all channels for inflight video.

This is a typical 3 axis board

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a168PA%5F.html
I have 4 of those KK board which i used for my tricopter and quadcopter now reserving one for the plane, but by far the hobbyking one is the cheapest among the KK board
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
You could just search this thread or use google or try this link http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
Cheers for that.
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
It is in the manual - 50-55mm behind LE of wing.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
Just for interest, and because I have never seen this suggested elsewhere, I put two shortened glass headed pins into the wings of all my planes at the CG point under the wings so that it is really easy to check the balance. Very useful if you want to use different batteries and/or FPV payloads as with my CF.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Tom and AJ,
Thanks for the feedback!
AJ you mentioned a 7x6 prop 'cut down', can you explain how to do that? By the way your tips on this board were of tremendous help when I built this bird a few months back, tx!
I noticed that motor (with a bit more getup) is on backorder at HK. Any other bolt-in recommendations?
Maybe you can school me a bit I looked at the specs, it says 1600kv but I do see 200w instead of the 180w that the stock one has. So I guess thats what translates to being able to use the bigger prop? I have a 30a esc I can use on it.
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewow View Post
Tom and AJ,
Thanks for the feedback!

1. AJ you mentioned a 7x6 prop 'cut down', can you explain how to do that?
2. By the way your tips on this board were of tremendous help when I built this bird a few months back, tx!
I noticed that motor (with a bit more getup) is on backorder at HK.
3. Any other bolt-in recommendations?
Maybe you can school me a bit I looked at the specs, it says 1600kv but I do see 200w instead of the 180w that the stock one has.
4. So I guess thats what translates to being able to use the bigger prop? I have a 30a esc I can use on it.
1. Simply sand the ends of the prop to "cut it down" to 6.5" or so. Make sure you have a prop balancer before you do this.
2. Thanks for the kind words.
3. With only a small amount of modification, you can use an "X" mount and use a Grayson MicroJet V2 motor (need 40A ESC) - Then, WOW!!!
4. Yes. But, not always. You were probably looking at THIS one. It needs and "X" mount, too.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 21, 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Add Link
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:14 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,328 Posts
Just got back from a flying session at my local flying site, this is my third flight on my AXN today I have no coach I'm on my own!

So this is my first Cloud Fly On board video beware first time plane flyer you might get sick

Puncak Jalil 210412: AXN Cloud Fly (9 min 48 sec)
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Aj
I went to the motor you first linked and HK has a link to the spec sheet...www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/tp_motor.html
Thanks for the info, the second motor u mention- WOW indeed.
Im wondering what other motors people hv used and can comment on before and after performance.
I followed ur advice and lifted the motor to change the thrust angle a bit, perhps I will need to do more so with an upgraded motor?
Btw ur advice on glueing the magnets on the stock motor- glad I had read it before I flew!
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
todays flight report

spent some time catching up with a mate today.
helped him setup phoenix RC sim + turnigy 9x tx on a laptop (if youve never done it, you'll need to pull the TX module for phoenix to detect the unit and also setup a control profile for pilot 2, even if not in use).. took us quite some time to work this stuff out but got it going after a lot of screwing about.

once that was done, we got down to the business of flying the axn. as he lives on the side of a decent hill, it makes for a top spot to fly right off his varandah with heaps of room for circuits and plenty of altitude to the ground (and trees) below. 20 odd mins for the first flight with some demos of WOT climbs and gliding ended up with the first pack going down to 20%.

next pack was run around with more of the same, flying way out to what were close to my LOS limits (getting hard to discern which direction the model was facing / flying), into the setting sun at times didnt help. harrassed a chicken hawk who'd found some lift furthur up the hill and thermaled a little with him till he got sick of me invading his airspace and left the area

a bit more wot and some flybys and time was getting away, so dropped the axn into a bush on the hillside without incident. ended up with 18% remaining in that pack.

a couple of things noted today, the model seemed to have a nose up tendency, even full down elev. TRIM couldnt get it out. also had some right roll, full left ail. or rudder TRIM couldnt get it out either. before both launches, surfaces looked to be flush and square.
tendancies could be countered with down / left inputs, but hands off would fl as described.
CoG seemed to be right in the centre of the spar covers with 2200mah 3s as far forward as possible and esc between the servos.

the HK 6 chan. system seems to have plenty of range for LOS use, great value for money! that said, i still think i'll be getting a turnigy 9x, just that much more flexible to use.

great time today, very relaxing to do circuits in this location due to good company, a beautiful day and location...... and i forgot to put my keychain cam on!
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe
Last edited by bigmoe; Apr 21, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add title
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
a couple of things noted today, the model seemed to have a nose up tendency, even full down elev. TRIM couldnt get it out. also had some right roll, full left ail. or rudder TRIM couldnt get it out either. before both launches, surfaces looked to be flush and square.
tendancies could be countered with down / left inputs, but hands off would fl as described.
CoG seemed to be right in the centre of the spar covers with 2200mah 3s as far forward as possible and esc between the servos.

the HK 6 chan. system seems to have plenty of range for LOS use, great value for money! that said, i still think i'll be getting a turnigy 9x, just that much more flexible to use.

great time today, very relaxing to do circuits in this location due to good company, a beautiful day and location...... and i forgot to put my keychain cam on!
Check for vibraton/oscillation on your prop. My EZ had a mad right roll that couldn't be trimmed out - turns out it was an unbalanced prop creating a torque roll.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:41 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
I think once HK has them back in stock (USA warehouse) i'm gonna pick one up. Guys at my work fly them and they fly really nice. One of them is running his on 4S.

Anyone know of a good 4S motor for this?
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
They say to not fly in high winds. Well I thought to myself - this must be fun, and so I did
Dont have exact wind measurements but internet told me the wind was between 30-50 kmph.
Most of the time the plane didnt actually fly around but stayed at one spot, hovering like quadcopter =)

Crazy dude flies his AXN Clouds Fly plane in high winds (around 45 kph) (8 min 36 sec)

My next video will be about this plan-o-boat thingy. Will it work?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Last edited by RoboSerg; Apr 21, 2012 at 06:11 PM.