HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,081 Posts
Congratulations Bigmoe,

I love reading posts like yours and I'm sure the hobby industry also loves to read the words of a new addict. Gum trees? I take it you're in Australia - where abouts?

If you haven't got a simulator, I recommend one. Apart from the obvious benefits, they are great fun while you're waiting for the glue to dry.

Keep posting your exploits. They also feed our addiction...
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:56 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
AXN Floater Jet Fly 19 minutes non stop. (19 min 37 sec)

just found this on youtube. Looks like he got 19mins flatout with the stock motor. So I figure with the 2826-6 motor i should get at least 15mins flight time at WOT
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:14 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,051 Posts
Just a couple of things:

1. Have you checked the centre of gravity. If it is too light in the nose you will have problems. I see you have a large battery which should help.

2. Batteries do not hold themselves in. It may seem tight but not a good idea just to rely on the foam tightness particularly if flying upside down which you may not plan to do for a while. There are many ways to hold the battery in but the simplest is just put a couple of rows of sticky tape over the battery and down the sides of the body.

Also not good to just rely on magnets to hold on the black cockpit cover. A bit of tape at the rear is a good idea.

3. You may know how to fly but the most common problem is that when learning people do not keep the airspeed up and the plane falls out of the sky including on turns. Keep the nose down on light motor speed to keep up the air speed. They also say the ailerons do not work enough also from low air speed. You do need a lot of movement with the ailerons on this plane.

Like you say gluing the wings may not be the best thing to do as it makes it very firm with the body and something may break if landing the wrong way. Not a problem if you land perfectly every time which is a bit hard to do.

All the best flying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
I just Bought my AXN Cloud Fly

and my quad battery Zippy Compact 2200mah fit perfect in the nose w/o any modification!

Will maiden this baby on weekend! can't wait as this is my first RC plane, but did some mistake while assembling which is I GLUED THE WING :x
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Just a couple of things:

1. Have you checked the centre of gravity. If it is too light in the nose you will have problems. I see you have a large battery which should help.

2. Batteries do not hold themselves in. It may seem tight but not a good idea just to rely on the foam tightness particularly if flying upside down which you may not plan to do for a while. There are many ways to hold the battery in but the simplest is just put a couple of rows of sticky tape over the battery and down the sides of the body.

Also not good to just rely on magnets to hold on the black cockpit cover. A bit of tape at the rear is a good idea.

3. You may know how to fly but the most common problem is that when learning people do not keep the airspeed up and the plane falls out of the sky including on turns. Keep the nose down on light motor speed to keep up the air speed. They also say the ailerons do not work enough also from low air speed. You do need a lot of movement with the ailerons on this plane.

Like you say gluing the wings may not be the best thing to do as it makes it very firm with the body and something may break if landing the wrong way. Not a problem if you land perfectly every time which is a bit hard to do.

All the best flying it.
thanks for the tips, I asked a few flyer here to coach me with the maiden flight, will be on flying field tomorrow!
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:55 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Your Maiden Flight

Quote:
thanks for the tips, I asked a few flyer here to coach me with the maiden flight, will be on flying field tomorrow!
Please take some videos to share with everyone here. We were all in your shoes at one time. Most of all, have FUN.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:51 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Please take some videos to share with everyone here. We were all in your shoes at one time. Most of all, have FUN.
AJ
i have a semi successful maiden at first try it when well my hand was shaking like crazy haha then i landed it to fix some trim then launch it again this time i made a stupid mistake i accidently swaped my model setting in my remote and cost me a nose i forgot to bring along CA so i have to bring it back to for fixing

no video yet to busy with the control ppl around me is good enough to coach me how to fly but this thing can go fast even with half throtle it a handfull for me maybe because im not use to it yet need to get rid of the nervousness first!!
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:31 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Maiden flight

Quote:
i have a semi successful maiden at first try it when well my hand was shaking like crazy haha then i landed it to fix some trim then launch it again this time i made a stupid mistake i accidently swaped my model setting in my remote and cost me a nose i forgot to bring along CA so i have to bring it back to for fixing

no video yet to busy with the control ppl around me is good enough to coach me how to fly but this thing can go fast even with half throtle it a handfull for me maybe because im not use to it yet need to get rid of the nervousness first!!
The important thing is that you got to fly it - Whoopee. Congratulations. Give yourself a pat on the back. I promise you that those jitters will go away after you fly it a few more times. Just remember to be patient with yourself. Take some movies once you get settled down. Oh, BTW, you will find yourself a lot more relaxed now that you have some initial bumps and bruises on your plane. We have all been there. Keep us posted.
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
517 Posts
Haha, Had the same thing happen to me yesterday! First throw, it just went upside down and crashed! Second rolled off from the ground, flew well but then I realized that since I had changed my Tx, well... forgot to reverse a servo! Not being really used to the 9x, I just decided to fly it with reversed controls. Was a pita. Fought with the plane, my fingers/sticks and my brain. Wasn't pretty but it flew for 3 mins before I called a day. Landed well, but the nose (piledriver from the first crash) and motor mount broke in two. Good news is that I managed to re-give it its shape and repaired it fine. Wanna fly but now my battery is toasted, a dead cell from the crash! Lesson, always check your surfaces! Will post pics later.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:07 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,341 Posts
Hobby King says the plane is "perfect for beginners". I would say not the easiest first plane, but once you get the hang of it, its great.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:18 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Somebody hand catchs this bird? (or similar ones)

i really want to learn to hand catch this (also the poor old CF is so battered that it would be the perfect bird for it) but every time i tries ended in dissaster.. else i get intimidated by the aparent speed or i cant catch it properly or if i catch its like if it crash against my hand and bounces back ending in the ground.. also allways try to catch it for the wings but i think that might not be the best idea...

And then to add humiliation you see expert hand catchers like this :

catch me if you can -crazy Horst (2 min 19 sec)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,341 Posts
Great video, but reminds me that there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but no old bold pilots!

Thanks!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Visiting family and let my brother in law fly the clouds when I got it up to a nice altitude yesterday. He did quite a good job for never flying before lol. Shows how easy of a plane it is to fly. I threw my keychain cam on to try and get some footage of the lake at my parents but mid flight it decided to eject lol. Good thing it was free!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
646 Posts
wow, great video! I never saw people catching planes like this, usually they pull up in the last moment and catch it on the belly.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Somebody hand catchs this bird? (or similar ones)

And then to add humiliation you see expert hand catchers like this :

]
I have seen that video several times and it is very cool for sure. I still wonder though, how many he REALLY caught. You noticed, I am sure, that is never shows him with full possession (football term). My bet is that he really caught a lot of them. But, all of them??? I am skeptical.
I routinely catch my Radian. But, that plane flys so slow that I am sure anyone could catch it with minimal practice.
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
wow, great video! I never saw people catching planes like this, usually they pull up in the last moment and catch it on the belly.
Could work.. worth a try.. the biggest problem i have is to grab it as every time i try its like it impacts my hand and bounces back of falls down.. it must be similar to catching flying wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
My bet is that he really caught a lot of them. But, all of them??? I am skeptical.
yeah obviously the video is a "the best of" recopilation... and also as you say all "catches" end right before the catch itself..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi