HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
31 Posts
Success!

I was finally able to get it in the air long enough to figure out the trim. Naturally it was the ailerons that needed the most since that's what I'm least familiar with.

After a couple muddy retrieval treks across the soybean field that I fly over and a couple badly timed tosses I was able to actually keep it up for a few controlled circuits. Landing is still a major challenge but at least I was able to keep it mostly flat every time. I don't think the nose can take too many more hard hits without breaking off.

It took some nerve to even toss it up today so I quit after my long(ish) circuit, wanting to end on a good note.

Thanks for all the tips and moral support. Lots more to learn but at least I'm moving forward.
noise is offline Find More Posts by noise
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
More coffee, please!
sir_clive's Avatar
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Congratulations! The first step is always the hardest, don't worry, I still remember my first steps too well, they were also far from what I would call relaxing.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Congratulations! The first step is always the hardest, don't worry, I still remember my first steps too well, they were also far from what I would call relaxing.
Thanks.

Another thing I figured out. I had D/R and Expo turned on for every surface, but I ended up turning it off for the ailerons because it was limiting my control too much.

Related to this is that I need to find a way to learn my transmitter better, I couldn't even attempt to switch off D/R and expo while flying. I suppose that will come over time.

Time to go give it another toss.

Edit: Woot! Getting the hang of it. Playing around in the breeze above the trees. 2 soft landings and one somewhat less soft but right at my feet.
noise is offline Find More Posts by noise
Last edited by noise; Mar 11, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
Registered User
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Well, I finally got another chance to try to fly mine. First two attempts were nose first into the ground with a reversed elevator.

I did suprisingly well today. The winds were 17+ mph but with the exception of an evil powerline I didn't crash it.

Flew for 5-10 minutes each time as well, very happy with the plane after that.
Sukaflops is offline Find More Posts by Sukaflops
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on this plane as my first ever rc. Wish me luck!
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post
Just pulled the trigger on this plane as my first ever rc. Wish me luck!
No luck needed this is a great plane for beginners. The pylon rear facing motor is a safe way to practice RC flying safely on your own.

Advise for newflyers with a new plane. Wrap the nose, strap the bottom and strap the leading edges of the wing with 3m brand extreme packing tape
englanito is offline Find More Posts by englanito
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Moderately Dangerous
TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post
Just pulled the trigger on this plane as my first ever rc. Wish me luck!
This is a great plane to start out with, I wish I had got this plane first. Just don't be sad when you crash...it happens! Thankfully, unless you do a high speed lawn dart from a couple hundred feet up, this plane will likely survive. Bring some foam-safe CA glue and activator/kicker to the field with you. This along with packing tape is great or field repairs and will keep you flying even after a digger.

A few suggestions for prepping the plane:
  • Use packing/strapping tape along the front edges of the wings and underside of the fuselage.
  • Make sure all of the "easy connectors" on the servos are tightened down.
  • Ditch the rubber band "prop saver". Get a solid mount prop adapter. This will help the prop spin smoother and vibrate less.
  • Double check that the motor mount pod is securely glued into the foam. Mine was not and I figured that out about 100 feet up on my first flight when the motor came out. Luckily it glides well even with the motor dangling over the side.

And a few more for the first flight:
  • Launch with 2/3 throttle, and toss like a javelin at 30-40 degrees. Add throttle and up elevator after it levels out.
  • Get up 200-300 feet, and then make some easy circles, always keeping the plane in front of you. Do this for 10 minutes or so, just to get a feel of how the airplane handles and you get used to the sticks.
  • For landing, get lined up a LONG way out, this plane loves to glide.
  • Just remember that this plane will fly itself, so if you get in a panic, just throttle off and let the sticks go. If you have enough altitude it will correct itself.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
Registered User
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
This is a great plane to start out with, I wish I had got this plane first. Just don't be sad when you crash...it happens! Thankfully, unless you do a high speed lawn dart from a couple hundred feet up, this plane will likely survive. Bring some foam-safe CA glue and activator/kicker to the field with you. This along with packing tape is great or field repairs and will keep you flying even after a digger.

A few suggestions for prepping the plane:
  • Use packing/strapping tape along the front edges of the wings and underside of the fuselage.
  • Make sure all of the "easy connectors" on the servos are tightened down.
  • Ditch the rubber band "prop saver". Get a solid mount prop adapter. This will help the prop spin smoother and vibrate less.
  • Double check that the motor mount pod is securely glued into the foam. Mine was not and I figured that out about 100 feet up on my first flight when the motor came out. Luckily it glides well even with the motor dangling over the side.

And a few more for the first flight:
  • Launch with 2/3 throttle, and toss like a javelin at 30-40 degrees. Add throttle and up elevator after it levels out.
  • Get up 200-300 feet, and then make some easy circles, always keeping the plane in front of you. Do this for 10 minutes or so, just to get a feel of how the airplane handles and you get used to the sticks.
  • For landing, get lined up a LONG way out, this plane loves to glide.
  • Just remember that this plane will fly itself, so if you get in a panic, just throttle off and let the sticks go. If you have enough altitude it will correct itself.
Looks like some great advice.

Definitely pay attention to the landing one, it glides much much further than I had expected.
Sukaflops is offline Find More Posts by Sukaflops
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you very much for the prompt reply and words of advice. This will be my first plane, but I have been doing my homework:

I purchased and logged over 100 hours of simulation on RealFlight6, including some planes with similar flying characteristics of the AXN, like the Bixler, the Easy Star or even the (not so similar) Skywalker;

I already invested over 60 hours of research on the FPV, AP and foamie subforums. I know about the tape for reinforcement, easy connectors malfunction, inverted controls, long landing needs, etc.

Even though I am confident with turbulence and winds up to 15mph on the simulator, I will only fly under PERFECT conditions, on a golf course (I am in Florida and all I see is flat, green fields) with long landing clearance. At least for the first 20 or so flights.

In regards to the prop, I really want to take advantage of the gliding capabilities of this plane and have a folding prop. Any recommendations?

What other upgrades/accessories should I consider? I really dont like the exposed servo rods under the wing, might cut some plastic bottles and make some covers for them.

Once again, thank you for the prompt comments!
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Hey guys if you are in my area, I have a deal for you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post21015702
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
202 Posts
I just received my AXN today. While checking the motor direction, the motor twisted in the mount (loose grub screw), and messed up the wire alignment. I removed the two grub screws, but I can't get the motor out of the mount. Is there a trick or something I'm missing, other than some anti-seize lubricant?
TimJC is offline Find More Posts by TimJC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
Registered User
AeroHeadTW's Avatar
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
232 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a AXN on order and will be doing some short range FPV tinkering with 5.8ghz. I have a DX7s tx (dsmx); I could pull a AR600 (also dsmx compatible) or use an orange rx and maybe add an orange satellite or should I get a Spektrum rx with a satellite? If possible--without flaming spectrums past dsm2 problems--which would be the best option for me?

Thanks

PS-I had a dx6i for 2+ years and never had a single signal glitch (only four planes a field max). RCModelReviews is saying nice things about DSMX after pounding on DSM2; so I'm hoping my Dx7s does well.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Crashem Dave's Avatar
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
I just received my AXN today. While checking the motor direction, the motor twisted in the mount (loose grub screw), and messed up the wire alignment. I removed the two grub screws, but I can't get the motor out of the mount. Is there a trick or something I'm missing, other than some anti-seize lubricant?
There are 2 grub screws behind the motor bell that hold the motor onto a metal mushroom shaped mount. It may take a little wiggling around, but the motor should come off, leaving the mushroom shaped metal mount behind.
This latter mount is fastened to the black nylon plate by 3 screws, going into 3 threaded nuts on the backside of the nylon plate. (Don't try look for them, you can't see them unless you rip the black backplate off.)
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Crashem Dave's Avatar
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
I was finally able to get it in the air long enough to figure out the trim. Naturally it was the ailerons that needed the most since that's what I'm least familiar with.

After a couple muddy retrieval treks across the soybean field that I fly over and a couple badly timed tosses I was able to actually keep it up for a few controlled circuits. Landing is still a major challenge but at least I was able to keep it mostly flat every time. I don't think the nose can take too many more hard hits without breaking off.

It took some nerve to even toss it up today so I quit after my long(ish) circuit, wanting to end on a good note.

Thanks for all the tips and moral support. Lots more to learn but at least I'm moving forward.
Noise,
The ailerons on the Clouds Fly are not overly sensetive. Just remember to combine a little up elevator with the aileron whan making a turn (to keep the nose level ON the horizon. It will drop otherwise,) and "unwind" the 2 controls back to neutral when you finish the turn.

Don't slam on throttle too quickly on this model, the angle of thrust will push the nose down otherwise. A smooth, deliberate application of power will prevent this tendancy.

A tip for launching. Hold the fuselage on the line of the C of G point with your thumb and forefinger. Point the nose away from you, parallel to the ground and slowly apply throttle. When you feel the nose starting to tip towards the ground, back the throttle off until the nose movement stops. (Approx betwen 1/3rd and 1/2 throttle) This is your launch power setting.
Then launch the model in a flat glide, neutral elevator, straight ahead of you with a strong throw. Don't angle the nose up or it will stall.
The model will start to drop as it goes away from you, now's the time to give it a little up elevator and as the nose comes up, add a little more throttle, which will flatten the glide. Let it pick up speed and then start your climb. As it gains speed, add more throttle, though about 50% is all that is really neccessary to get a comfy flight out of this model.

With a 3S1P 2200Ma/H 20C pack, I could get up to 42 minutes on mine, flying a mix of 50-60% throttle, to slowly climb to altitude and then shutting the motor right off for a glide. This was before I swapped the stock motor out to a more powerful Hyperion P1919.

Have fun. It's a very relaxing model once mastered.
Mine always comes with me when I go on holiday and has got hundreds of hours flying time up.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:54 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Just in case someone else is also interested:



Folding prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post
In regards to the prop, I really want to take advantage of the gliding capabilities of this plane and have a folding prop. Any recommendations?

What other upgrades/accessories should I consider? I really dont like the exposed servo rods under the wing, might cut some plastic bottles and make some covers for them.

Once again, thank you for the prompt comments!
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools