Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Wait, so you saying the wings will break anyway even w/o crashing just due to high G's from loops/rolls etc ?
The answer is "YEP". They will break if you put too much force on them in the air. It was like with my Easy* and was setting up my copilot and it was getting too far away from me and could not really see what was going on.

I think but do not know as I could not see properly, I somehow put it in a tight loop and goodness knows what else and the wing folded up. It did happen where I put the aileron servo and was to put a fiber rod there for strengthening but I would not have broken the wing if I could see what was going on.

That may be a good or bad example but putting too much force on the wings when flying and something is going to give.

In other words you just can not just do anything you want to the plane with high Gs. I guess others will agree.

You need a smaller/stronger plane if you do not want to rip the wings off.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:54 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
I'm still surprised that mamba max' wings didn't come off at 0:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
I'm still surprised that mamba max' wings didn't come off at 0:47
He only leveled out then. Would have been good if he pulled up sharply.

He did say "I did change out the hollow plastic spar for a solid 8mm carbon fiber one though".
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
Where do you think is the best place to put the camera?

1. Canopy?
2. Elevator?
3. Ailerons?

Testing Camera positions.wmv (4 min 26 sec)
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
651 Posts
nice flying! I rate canopy first, wing tight second, tail by far last.
sir_clive is online now Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Can someone explain me when to use subtrim and when trim? How do they affect the end points? Thanks
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
647 Posts
Got my AXN this week as the fourth plane in my stable. Wanted an easy to fly plane that I can buddy box to help newer people. Flies well and is a nice, relaxing plane to fly. Not very nimble on full throws, but that's not what its for.

However on it's third flight my motor mount fell out as well. Had hardly any glue on it. Took a big chunk out of the body but then the prop saver gave way, which was good. Had the prop balanced prior as well.

Anyone putting a new one together add a bit more glue to the mount to be safe.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
He only leveled out then. Would have been good if he pulled up sharply.

He did say "I did change out the hollow plastic spar for a solid 8mm carbon fiber one though".

You would be scared if you saw my fly my AXN. I often go from a full throttle dive (apprx 80mph...I calculated it) and sharply apply full elevator. I also will do sharp banked turns...lots of fun. I'm sure the wings flex a little, but I don't see it.

I want to get video of me swooping up sharply just before annihilation (under 10feet), but I'm afraid I'll react too slow and smash it into another dimension!
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Last edited by mamba max1; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
You would be scared if you saw my fly my AXN. I often go from a full throttle dive (apprx 80mph...I calculated it) and sharply apply full elevator. I also will do sharp banked turns...lots of fun. I'm sure the wings flex a little, but I don't see it.

I want to get video of me swooping up sharply just before annihilation (under 10feet), but I'm afraid I'll react too slow and smash it into another dimension!
Keep a camera going and we might see something interesting soon when giving it all the Gs. Ha Ha (just joking)

I can find the video where a bloke was doing the dive and just pulling out in time. Bugger he did not smash it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:51 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Can someone explain me when to use subtrim and when trim? How do they affect the end points? Thanks
If no one else explains it I'll have a go tonight. I have had my Futaba 9C for a couple of years and still learning it. I hope someone will beat me to it but I'll understand it more running through it.

I think I can cover what you want and if I get something wrong I guess someone will quickly tell us. It will help me get it clearer in my head.

What transmitter do you have? (not Spektrum) (that comment will cause a stir for a start) (it is like a Ford and GMH thing amongst TXs)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
651 Posts
Yeah, ford vs gmh, where everybody knows a pimped 9x is the only way to go, actually!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Yeah, ford vs gmh, where everybody knows a pimped 9x is the only way to go, actually!
Those Turnigys were not around when I got my second hand Futaba 9C but glad I have it.

Looks like these days you only need the cheapest TX that will take a FrSky module and your in business. Unless you want long range and I suppose they even take those UHF modules also.

Years ago people bought Spektrum because the Futaba receivers were $150 but I have the HK cheap Orange FASST ones so not point in getting Spektrum then.

And these days like you say the 9X seems to be great with something like a FRSky module or is the standard module OK?.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
647 Posts
Standard module is great, though lacking telemetry. Main issue is that there are only three receivers; a three, six and then a bulky 8 channel. Shame there isn't a four channel and it's lacking a micro receiver. No fail safe either. But will give a very solid connection.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:03 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Standard module is great, though lacking telemetry. Main issue is that there are only three receivers; a three, six and then a bulky 8 channel. Shame there isn't a four channel and it's lacking a micro receiver. No fail safe either. But will give a very solid connection.
I have only just got a couple of FrSky receivers and module with telemetry and they seem great. They have a good range of receivers but probably only a bit dearer than the Turnigys.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:43 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
651 Posts
I was just joking, sorry if it sounded differently. Futabas and Spektrums and Graupners and (I'm sure there are quite a few others) all make great systems. 9X is a budget TX, which has some great sides to it but also some downsides, just as every other technical device out there.