HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardonir View Post
I will use hot glue. No i did not balance the prop because the last two props were perfectly balanced. Got a little lazy i guess. Ran the motor up to full throttle on the ground and it looked pretty stable with the new collett and prop.
I have not seen two in a row perfectly balanced. You must buy good props. You can not tell if they are balanced by looking at the run.

I have only used my $4 hand balancer to date but I have seen how important it is to balance props so have bought a better magnet one now. It gives more revs and a bit longer on the LiPo. I guess not much but the increased RPM is worth it.

I guess you realise you need to balance the props when they are horizontal and vertical. For the vertical balance I just sand off the heavy side.
prop balancing video tutorial (5 min 5 sec)
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Also was thinking of abandoning the rudder servo for some more canopy volume. What would anyone suggest to hold the rudder still?
Put the servos on the outside of the body behind the wing and the area in behind where the servos were is ENORMOUS. I have my receiver in behind the blue FY20.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Also was thinking of abandoning the rudder servo for some more canopy volume. What would anyone suggest to hold the rudder still?
I use regular packing tape on each side. It holds great and lasts forever.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
I don't think there are many of us who have built something that has taken time and thought who can't immediately relate to that feeling .... it is magic isn't it!? I was looking at a Blu Baby on my SIM the other night ... can you link to both the Pitts and the Baby threads ... I would love to build either or both of these myself. thanks for the memory ...
I couldn't have said it nicer!

Here are the links, for all of you who'd like to give your AXN some nice company:

BluBaby:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

(there are various versions, ranging from 24" to 60", IIRC; I have a build log of my 42" BB if you are interested; for questions and further information, just PM me)

Pitts Challenger:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774178
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:17 PM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
what will you do when you tip stall and start to spiral towards the ground? so far using the rudder is the only way i have been able to recover from this
englanito is offline Find More Posts by englanito
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post

I have my wings glued in, they were very stable and didnt bent. Today I made couple of high speed loops and saw the wing bend upwards. It was a little, but noticeable. I thought why not give it a high speed turn. Well I did, and one wing broke mid air making my plane fall to the ground like a stone On the pics below you can see two different wings.
Two questions:

1. Cant this plane handle loops and high speed turn at all? I saw ppl doing that on youtube. Very weird that the wings break like that.

2. What glue is the best for this type of EPO ? Epoxy, foam glue,all-purpose glue, smth else? How do I repair it in the best and durable way?

3. Any tips to make the wings stronger in the weak point? Like adding more fiber tape or gluing some rods in ?

ps. guess I need some new aerobatic plane after all. I dont want to do 3D but loops, high speed turns, rolls etc. What should I look for, EDF ?
I added fiber tape along the whole front leading edge.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito View Post
what will you do when you tip stall and start to spiral towards the ground? so far using the rudder is the only way i have been able to recover from this

Use a car ESC and apply full reverse?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
Quote:
How about flying fast enough to avoid tip stalling.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
How about flying fast enough to avoid tip stalling.
ohh sure. still when it does happen having the rudder to stop the spin is important
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
I never had a spiral spin with the AXN, and I barely ever use the rudder. Just fixing it seems like a great idea!
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
I never had a spiral spin with the AXN, and I barely ever use the rudder. Just fixing it seems like a great idea!
I find I use the rudder a lot on the AXN. I do deliberate spirals with rudder and aileron - use the rudder for inverted flight and normal and ... especially for chasing thermals so as not to loose too much air on the wings by using ailerons for the small turns. I guess it really depends on how you fly, but I couldn't imagine the AXN without rudder.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Bad luck.

It all happened because you glued the wings in? Is that the way you see it?

EDIT: I had not been following this. I just noticed you were discussing the loss of the spar cover prior to the last photo being put up. I did not just glue on the spar cover but solidly glued the tube to the foam wing. That is, put plenty of glue under the tube when it was glued in the wing.
I dont know, really. I had plenty of crashes before it happen, it could somehow weaken the wings/joints. Bad luck indeed, I guess. I put new wings on and glued them in regardless, I need more stable wings and not detachable wings. Will try tomorrow, scared doing loops
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:10 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
I have never used the rudder on the aileron planes but apparently you are suppose to particularly if doing stunts. Apparently it is good to mix in rudder with the ailerons on turns and I have started to do that. I mainly need it on the Easy* with ailerons as it drops on turns when it is not suppose to. The Floater does not do that. (only if you are learning and the air speed is too slow)

I am just concentrating on moderate speed for FPV at the moment so do not need the rudder except the FY20 and FY21 use the rudder.

If you have not really used the rudder to date you could do without it unless in future you want to do all the stunts properly. I only had one spiral down that I could not control with aileron and elevator but the FY20 was loose but no damage.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
I dont know, really. I had plenty of crashes before it happen, it could somehow weaken the wings/joints. Bad luck indeed, I guess. I put new wings on and glued them in regardless, I need more stable wings and not detachable wings. Will try tomorrow, scared doing loops
Lets see how this set of wings go but I would not glue them in as it is just making a point where there is severe pressure and something has got to give.

Guess the earlier crashes would not have helped but would have possibly not broken if not glued in. As you are doing a lot of loops etc I would also put on some wide fibre glass tape from front to back of the wing over the wing cover. You might have already done that.

Anyway you like a totally rigid wing for the flying you are doing so should be all right with the fiber tape on the wing and get some close into the body.

But also the wings will break if you put too much pressure on them when flying no matter how you set up the plane.

Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
But also the wings will break if you put too much pressure on them when flying no matter how you set up the plane.
Wait, so you saying the wings will break anyway even w/o crashing just due to high G's from loops/rolls etc ?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg