HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,593 Posts
windy flight

Took the AXN out today. After rain in the weekend, the lakes are now almost black ice so perfect for flying. The wind was strong at 10m/s or 20knots, so a bit of a challenge.

Sitting on the ice, the AXN had to be lined up directly into wind otherwise it would have been swept away. The dihedral wings adjusted them self to perfectly level and with the rudder, I could wiggle the plane back and forth. Everytime it got a little off line, it started gliding backwards and lifting a wing. I could actually practice corrective inputs with zero motor power But stil, a little risky, so I throttled up and away she went. Take off run (glide) must have been 2 or 3 meters

Trying to stay out of mechanical turbulences, I did a few rounds and was pretty chocked by the downwind speed. I tried to keep up speed in the turns and did a few s l o o o w touch and goes but was impressed with the plane's ability to cope with the wind. I guess you'd say it has a wide operational envelope?

I'm not sure I'd like to take my TwinStar out in this weather.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Well, I tried to break my altitude record of 3,925 feet the other day, but I didn't make it. The day started out fine, but by the time I wanted to go really high, the weather had changed. Because it got dark/cloudy and of VERY strong winds up high, I only made it to 2,700 feet. It was so windy up high, a strong cross wind flipped me upside down once! At that time, I came back in a hurry and my flying was over for the day.

Oh well, another day and another time, but I will pass 4,000 feet. (hopefully get to a mile)
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
I'm out today trying to break my record but I don't know what my record is. I got some clear skies, low winds, new hi def glasses, a fresh battery and some time. Wish me good.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
I'm out today trying to break my record but I don't know what my record is. I got some clear skies, low winds, new hi def glasses, a fresh battery and some time. Wish me good.
Make sure you have your name, address, and phone number on your plane in case you lose sight of it.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:40 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Make sure you have your name, address, and phone number on your plane in case you lose sight of it.
Lol! Thanks for the tip. I took care of that last time. So... Here's a vid:

For all the a.d.d. rc peeps (3 min 31 sec)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Hey guys, I'am thinking to saw of the wing tips to do barrel rolls. Did some of do that? Are there any recommendations or things to be aware of ? I was thinking to only cut 50% of that curved shape at first, to have little stability and not cut whole wing tip of. What do you think?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Impressive! I guess you could glide it all the way back to China from that altitude! BTW, am I the only one to also have the aero modeller insurance number printed on the plane, next to my name and phone address?
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
RoboSerg, there is a nice video on youtube of a guy who did detachable wing tips mod to his FJ. His rolls looked impressive!

As a less intrusive mod, I enlaeged my ailerons some, that also gave me much better roll performance.

However, this plane is not really an aerobatic wonder, her strengths are floating and soaring. And she's really good at it! If you want something more quirly, maybe it's time for a second plane in the hangar?
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
As a less intrusive mod, I enlarged my ailerons some, that also gave me much better roll performance.

However, this plane is not really an aerobatic wonder, her strengths are floating and soaring. And she's really good at it! If you want something more quirly, maybe it's time for a second plane in the hangar?
Where did you take new ailerons? Or did you glue something onto existing once? I really like this idea of yours! Could you share a pic?
This ANX handles loops quite well, so I thought about barrel rolls. And yea, I already watched this video. Thats why Iam asking =)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
I thought about extending the ailerons out like the blixer wings that have flaps and use the same ideas having the ailerons far outboard and use the existing ailerons as flaps. Any ideas?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
I thought about extending the ailerons out like the blixer wings that have flaps and use the same ideas having the ailerons far outboard and use the existing ailerons as flaps. Any ideas?
I have found that if you have a good radio and can program a goodly amount of differential and set up flaperons this plane doesn't really need anything else. (you need your ailerons on 2 channels)
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
I have found that if you have a good radio and can program a goodly amount of differential and set up flaperons this plane doesn't really need anything else. (you need your ailerons on 2 channels)
I've tried flaperons and even mixed rudder into aileron input. After reviewing all setups. I've come to this idea just for kicks and giggles. I have a short set of wings and a virgin set (no servos or spar) I may use one of the full sets to make the change virgin or stock.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
+1 on that
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Just ordered a second one to add a higher kv motor and clip the wingtips and extend the ailerons. Cant wait for it to get here!!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts

I have my wings glued in, they were very stable and didnt bent. Today I made couple of high speed loops and saw the wing bend upwards. It was a little, but noticeable. I thought why not give it a high speed turn. Well I did, and one wing broke mid air making my plane fall to the ground like a stone On the pics below you can see two different wings.
Two questions:

1. Cant this plane handle loops and high speed turn at all? I saw ppl doing that on youtube. Very weird that the wings break like that.

2. What glue is the best for this type of EPO ? Epoxy, foam glue,all-purpose glue, smth else? How do I repair it in the best and durable way?

3. Any tips to make the wings stronger in the weak point? Like adding more fiber tape or gluing some rods in ?

ps. guess I need some new aerobatic plane after all. I dont want to do 3D but loops, high speed turns, rolls etc. What should I look for, EDF ?