HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Hi all,

awaiting the arrival of my AXN kit. One question I have is... is there a tested and preferred way to attach the wings / spar? I've seen one gluing the spar in and taping the under wing spar cover on (permanent) and one which glues the spar cover on and hold the wing in place with a rubber band. (temporary). I'd like removable wings but not at the risk of destruction.

Any pointers or links would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Gonogo is offline Find More Posts by Gonogo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonogo View Post
Hi all,

awaiting the arrival of my AXN kit. One question I have is... is there a tested and preferred way to attach the wings / spar? I've seen one gluing the spar in and taping the under wing spar cover on (permanent) and one which glues the spar cover on and hold the wing in place with a rubber band. (temporary). I'd like removable wings but not at the risk of destruction.

Cheers.
Gonogo,

your first post here? Welcome!

Yu can "search this thread" separately (see the top) to find posts on the wing issue. I glued my spar covers and relied on the jig-saw puzzle tabs of the wing to keep them in place, but removable. If you fly carefully, don't crash, and don't take the wings off often, this may work for you.

However, after a few hard landings I found - like several others - that the wings were no longer securely locked in place. Some use rubber bands and small clips to lock the wings, some use vinyl tape, and others like myself have CA-glued the in place.

I used the the CA sparingly, so I may be able to rip them off if need be.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
Sverige, Jšmtlands Lšn, ÷stersund
Joined Jul 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers.
Hi Gonogo
I made the post #9357, with some pictures about a spring for holding the wings in place. It works well and is easy to make. I've had a bad take off once and that resulted in a stretched spring. No more no less. If it had been a stiffer construction i think some thing would have given in.
I also only used glue on the outer part of the spar cover (beyond the servo), and then covered the whole spar cover with clear packing tape.
Coluber is offline Find More Posts by Coluber
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers.
Regular old velcro worked great for me. I didn't glue in the spar but I did glue the spar cover past the servo. After making the wings removable I have yet to actually remove them. For me I made the wings removable so I can replace them or the fuselage.
gumby77 is offline Find More Posts by gumby77
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers.
Here is a thorough video on the building the AXN.

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 1 of 3) (20 min 20 sec)

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 2 of 3) (26 min 34 sec)

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 3 of 3) (26 min 14 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 18, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Aug 2011
83 Posts
ESC getting hot

hey guys, so i went to take my axn for a flight today but before i took her up and did a run on the ground. In the matter of a minute it wad getting pretty hot? this is my second esc for this plane cause the other was doing the same. Does this mean this is my motor? Could it be bad solder? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Josh
Theyoungflyer698 is offline Find More Posts by Theyoungflyer698
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:07 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyoungflyer698 View Post
hey guys, so i went to take my axn for a flight today but before i took her up and did a run on the ground. In the matter of a minute it wad getting pretty hot? this is my second esc for this plane cause the other was doing the same. Does this mean this is my motor? Could it be bad solder? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Josh
ESCs need air flow to stay cool. Static run ups for a minutes will turn an ESC into a crispy critter.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:11 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
As Prof says, the ESC needs airflow for cooling. How long did you run it on the ground for? If you want to run it for awhile,e take the prop off to un-load the motor/ESC. Then you can check throttle up/down etc without creating too much heat.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, you can never inadvertently over-RPM a brushless through low-loading. This because the RPM is directly controlled by the ESC electronic commutation, it will only go as fast as its commanded to go.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:27 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers.
+1 for the welcome :-)

Regarding the spar question, I have the spar loose (not glued in) in the wings. Having the spar glued to one wing makes that wing harder (its got the spar hanging out of it!) than it needs to be for transporting (not that I remove my wings very often). My spar-covers are glued with the glue that came with the airframe and partially covered with decoration decal. I have no signs of the spar covers coming away and you should have seen me throwing my AXN around this morning (gave myself some frights ). Don't be tempted to use other glues (there are some exceptions: eg: UHU-POR or rubberised CA) as the glue needs to be very good friends with the EPO chemical composition (Expanded Polyolefin) and also match its physical characteristics - flexibile.

Highly recommend keeping your wing-halves together somehow, other than the wing jigsaw. Very occasionally I remove the wings (ie: add LEDS to the wings) and I have noticed the jigsaw shape is becoming less "clippy" with time. I've used a hook and o-ring system to hold mine together. The o-ring (like a prop retainer but bigger) has some give, but holds everything nicely together. In fact it keeps a positive pressure on bringing the wings-together. Also being on the spar-line, the hooks make a great place to hold the fus when launching .
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, you can never inadvertently over-RPM a brushless through low-loading. This because the RPM is directly controlled by the ESC electronic commutation, it will only go as fast as its commanded to go.
I recently rewound a Turnigy 2730-3000kv motor and was having some issues during the testing phase. It turns out the esc was hitting it's switching limit because there was no load on the motor. Once I mounted the prop, the motor performed flawlessly. This is usually only an issue with high kv motors. I learned something that day.
Turnigy 2730-3000 issue (0 min 56 sec)
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:15 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,398 Posts
I have a similar issue with a ducted fan and 8000kv motor. It hesitates at wot. I tried to power through the hesitation and burned the motor. So lesson is to back off.

Also, not good to do full power static run for more than a few sec. The prop unloads in the air and the heat buildup is less.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Sounds like a bird... chip, chiip. Glad it didn't burn!
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Actually, if you watch it in full screen hd, you will see a little puff of smoke at :25
It didn't ruin the motor though.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Actually, if you watch it in full screen hd, you will see a little puff of smoke at :25
It didn't ruin the motor though.
Sure that wasn't a puff of smoke at 4:20... Oh my, I crack myself up.

Sorry all.

Back to lurking I go.
gumby77 is offline Find More Posts by gumby77
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:03 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
I thought "mini-railgun" when I heard the cut-out...
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o