SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:15 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Hmmm... now you are making me feel uncertain about my choice - again.

I ordered the hku5 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html), the reviews on the HK page were all positive, and I also wasn't able to find anything bad about it on the net. Besides, it costs next to nothing.

Which ones did you have to sent to the bin and why? And what do you mean by "sort of all right"?
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:24 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton View Post
Hi Hallstudio, very impressed with your video!! I test flew mine week before Christmas
and have 5 flights so far. I had a problem when I did a spin from 500 feet, the control wouldn't respond but was able to land without a scratch. They say it's the ESC locking up under load. I have the AE25A 2A. Have you had any problems with yours?
Happy New Year,
Jim
You should never use a 2A Bec in a Floater with that many servos. That goes doubly if you use HX900 servos.

Guess I better practice what I preach. I just checked my MiniMoa which did exactly the same as yours and it has the standard 2A Esc in it. My landing was a bit harder than yours but I was lucky.

In my Floater I have extra electrical stuff so have a Turiegy Plush 40A Esc which has a 3amp Bec. I have put on a HK 5a Ubec which apparently is only marginally better than the Plush Bec so I should not have bothered.

But what receiver did you have in yours?
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:44 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Hmmm... now you are making me feel uncertain about my choice - again.

I ordered the hku5 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html), the reviews on the HK page were all positive, and I also wasn't able to find anything bad about it on the net. Besides, it costs next to nothing.

Which ones did you have to sent to the bin and why? And what do you mean by "sort of all right"?
I see one bloke tested the one you have bought and it tested all right.

I got four of these which are no good:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...for_Lipo_.html

This one will do the job most of the time and I have it on the Floater. It says 5A but that is maximum:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Reduction.html

Have you seen where a bloke tested a lot of Esc/Ubecs? If you have not and interested, I'll dig it up.

EDIT: I just fixed the links above.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 29, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:46 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Thanks Firepower, I'm relieved now! If you could dig that article out, it would be great, thanks in advance!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:07 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Firepower, I'm relieved now! If you could dig that article out, it would be great, thanks in advance!
Here is some light reading for you:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277428

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=34
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:30 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Thanks man, you're my hero!

It seems there are some heavy stinkers among those BECs! Unfortunately, my HKU5 is not among the tested ones, but at least I know now I should not be mad at me for overseeing that Turnigy thingy (or was it maybe on BK as I ordered the HKU5? Don't know). Usually, I like turnigy products.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:36 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,398 Posts
The video I posted on the previous page was with the helicopter ESC with 1.5a bec. It wouldn't surprise me if some electronics are under-rated and others are optimistic. Best is to test voltage under load to know for sure.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:43 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Thanks man, you're my hero!

It seems there are some heavy stinkers among those BECs! Unfortunately, my HKU5 is not among the tested ones, but at least I know now I should not be mad at me for overseeing that Turnigy thingy (or was it maybe on BK as I ordered the HKU5? Don't know). Usually, I like turnigy products.
This is what I'll put in my good planes which I got locally:

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Speed.../prod_695.html

I have not seen any tests on them but being Castle Creations you do not need to see the tests as their stuff is great with a bit of a price also. Not sure but from memory someone said they have a lifetime guarantee on their Escs but I can not justify the cost. Like I said before they are really small.

The Bec is set at 5.1v but I bought the USB programmer card. Just another $27 or so.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
I'm not an expert though, don't blame me if anything bad happens!

If I may suggest, there are other places on this plane where carbon rods are recommended: horizontal stab (there are a few pics on the previous page) and on the fuse, left and right, starting a few cm under the wing (measured from the trailing edge). Some people also have them on the sides of the battery compartment.

Thanks! I already have some 3mm carbon on the way to support the horizontal and vertical stabs.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:07 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
It didn't happen to me, so I can only offer a theoretical solution.
It did happen to me and what you proposed is right. Take the rod out, let the glue dry completely, peel it off the rod (it will remain rubbery and can be peeled off the metal easily), then repeatedly insert and remove the rod until the glue comes out and it moves freely.

My main tip for assembly that isn't covered by Bruce Simpson's build videos is to not glue the control horns in. I find they are perfectly able to withstand all forces just by friction alone, the pins are long and tough enough. If you glue them in you won't be able to remove the control rods except by either tearing off the control surfaces or destroying the horns and putting in new ones. I plan to replace the horns with something better once they wear out but so far they're holding up fine.

- Mark
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyoungflyer698 View Post
Hey guys, I finally got my AXN for Christmas but after gluing the horizontal and vertical stabs on and letting it dry i hadn't realized that glue had leaked in to the elevator control rod tube. It still moves it just that the servo is having a tough time moving it. How can I make it move freely again?

Thanks Josh
I glued mine all right with CA but did a Floater for a mate and used the glue that comes with it. It takes a long time to set and kept running in the tube along the push rod.

My mates was totally tight so had to put the servo on the outside of the fuselage behind the wing. I have also moved my two servos out and put them behind the wing as I need the space inside.

If you take the push rod out you can poke the rod in and out and even use a drill bit and poke back and forth. Not the pointy end but if nothing is working try drilling it or poking it with a wire. In the end just try anything to try and clear out the glue but you need to get the push rod out first. That is if the glue is in the tube but just peal it off the push rod and if desperate sand it.

If you have to take out the push rod and if you do not want to cut off the control horn you will need to cut the elevator off along the hinge and tape it back on. That is tape top and bottom. When putting on the top tape have the elevator in the down position and when putting on the bottom tape have the elevator in the up position or you will find the elevator will not move properly.

Any significant pressure on the servo even when testing can cause it to fail in the air.

All the best.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2008
101 Posts
Well i put my axn together today and started the motor and found an insane amount of vibration. It turns out there are supposed to be two grub screws holding the motor to the mount.

So i looked forever for those and couldn't find them.....that being said

Where can i buy these really small grub screws? Will home depot have them? the closest hobby store is an hour away...
dudly is offline Find More Posts by dudly
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Aug 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I glued mine all right with CA but did a Floater for a mate and used the glue that comes with it. It takes a long time to set and kept running in the tube along the push rod.

My mates was totally tight so had to put the servo on the outside of the fuselage behind the wing. I have also moved my two servos out and put them behind the wing as I need the space inside.

If you take the push rod out you can poke the rod in and out and even use a drill bit and poke back and forth. Not the pointy end but if nothing is working try drilling it or poking it with a wire. In the end just try anything to try and clear out the glue but you need to get the push rod out first. That is if the glue is in the tube but just peal it off the push rod and if desperate sand it.

If you have to take out the push rod and if you do not want to cut off the control horn you will need to cut the elevator off along the hinge and tape it back on. That is tape top and bottom. When putting on the top tape have the elevator in the down position and when putting on the bottom tape have the elevator in the up position or you will find the elevator will not move properly.

Any significant pressure on the servo even when testing can cause it to fail in the air.

All the best.
Thanks for the help! I got it moving again but bent my push rod. Is there a replacement or something? Thanks Joshua
Theyoungflyer698 is offline Find More Posts by Theyoungflyer698
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:20 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyoungflyer698 View Post
Thanks for the help! I got it moving again but bent my push rod. Is there a replacement or something? Thanks Joshua
The local hobby shop usually has some push rods. Depending how good the shop is as to whether they have your size. You may have to buy the rod and the tube.

When I see the rods and carbon fiber rods cheap at hobby shops I just buy it and have quite a lot of spares.

There are a couple of push rods here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Push_Rods.html

Not sure if they are the right size that you want and I have also bought some of these, as they are cheap.

I guess you are already buying stuff from hobbyking, as they are very cheap compared to the local hobby shop.

I just checked the hobbyking link and there is not much there in regard to push rods that you need. Only one wire one and the others are the outer casing/pipe. Guess try the LHS unless someone knows where to buy this part.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,939 Posts
List of "must do" mods?

I just received my FJ from HK for Christmas and hope to get it flying today. Without me having to read through every page of this thread, are there any mods I need to do to get this plane flying? Thanks.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member