HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
JLT_GTI, your mod seems to also roll like a champ, I don't see a difference from my video. Actually, maybe yours rolls even better!
It did roll better than stock, only that it did in a bit of weird fashion... maybe i should had setup aileron diferential ... still im thinking in maybe one of those days mod the wings to make bigger ailerons maybe from balsa

Quote:
I am not *100* sure that I added no rudder, sometimes my thumb does what it wants. But I *think* I didn't.
The thing is that the CF rolls so fast and easy using both ailerons and rudder than if used well one doesnt miss more ailerons... still not the cleanest rolls as the tail will swing arround too

Quote:
I think I'll keep fingers away from the wing tips for now, thought. I'd love my son (10yrs old) to also learn to fly on that plane, and for that - the dihedrals are just the right option. On the other hand, your HawkSky mod flies like a fighter, I'd like to try it out!
Well in the last video the guy did a mod so he can remove and reattach the wingtips at will so you still can do best of both worlds with that mod to try the short wingspan version and still be able to reattachg the tips to more casual flight...
Still its a mod and it wont be as light as original (carbon rods implied)

The HawkFighter mod was quite a surprise.. i removed 35cm of total wingspan so just 17cm from each wingtip and when you have them in your hand removed you think "this is so small that it cant have that big effect on flight performance" ..but when i tried it was really unbeliable how much the roll improves..
Of course it also looses gliding capacity but the mod intention is clear

On a side note.. this HawkSky was bought second hand..and it came allready with the stock wings flattened ...so it had no dihedral ... i did a couple of flights before doing the mod and it was terrible ..it didnt want to roll and actually the stock CloudsFly rolled faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Hey we love those FPVs. But, if there is a mod performed on a plane and the characteristic was enhanced or changed, can someone shoot a video like roovexer did with his wingtip mod... FPV free? Afterwhile, the grass, horizon, trees and car begin to look the same from the air (upside down or rightside up). You can appreciate it a littele more from a "SPV"..2nd person point of view too.
Yeah... unfortunatelly that means having someone with you to record video wich i dont (nobody in my close circle likes RC beyond the first "oh thats cool" ..after 2 flights they say "meh thats boring..cant it fire missiles or something?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
That is one sleek looking AXN! Looks great imho! Great job. What paint did you use to get that nice gloss effect? Is it flaky?
Thanks...tought it doesnt look as good close in ... i used tamiya acrylic paint.. it holds well but it does flak in the leading edges for example
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
getting ready to place a order for a axn and just wanted to know is there anything else i should order other then just the plane and batteries? i have seen the xjet video about him talking about the bad motors these planes have and is there any other motor that i should order right away before i place the order? going to be getting the 3s 2200mah turnigy batteries along with it as well. also what plugs does the esc have on it? not sure if its deans like the pic shows on the hk site or if they changed it or not. also are there any tips i should know before i take it out on its first flight?
There is not much space in the AXN so unless you want to put the receiver in the canopy or way in the back get a receiver that is small and has the connectors coming out the top, not out the end. if you want flaps or spoilers then get a pair of servo extensions so that you can use dual aileron setup.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,197 Posts
You can always use the key chain cam . Just need Velcro to stick the cam on your cap and you're good to go.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:15 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
You can always use the key chain cam . Just need Velcro to stick the cam on your cap and you're good to go.
Yeh, hat-cam productions inc
Here's how to do it with a Blackberry :
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:58 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
There is not much space in the AXN so unless you want to put the receiver in the canopy or way in the back get a receiver that is small and has the connectors coming out the top, not out the end. if you want flaps or spoilers then get a pair of servo extensions so that you can use dual aileron setup.
got some of the 4ch small orange rx's from hobbyking so im good with that.
some87 is offline Find More Posts by some87
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
CF Takeoff and landings

Some takeoff and landings if newbies (and others) wanna see
clouds fly (2 min 21 sec)
balleklorin1972 is offline Find More Posts by balleklorin1972
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:37 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
My receiver is glued with double-sided tape right above the servos. The 9x standard RX had enough place there, and the new FrSky 7-channel RX is even much smaller.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Tried that, didn't work out with my heli - FOV to narrow and if I take that 180 lens, the plane will look as a small grey dot..
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:39 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Yeh, hat-cam productions inc
Here's how to do it with a Blackberry :
Hehe, that looks good! :-)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:39 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
[QUOTE=balleklorin1972;20198868]Some takeoff and landings if newbies (and others) wanna see
[QUOTE]

Nice video - everything except that one botched take-off
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:49 AM
US ARMY retired
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jun 2008
349 Posts
My axn

AWSUMMMM Hey all just thought i would share my experience with ya, i got a axn floater a week ago and it has become my fave plane awsum little planes, changed up the scheme a bit so I could see it better and am running a 6x4 prop
decuzar is offline Find More Posts by decuzar
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Very nice!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
168 Posts
if i were to get a turnigy plush 30amp esc would i still need to get a external bec since the bec on the esc is only 2amps?
some87 is offline Find More Posts by some87
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:02 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
if i were to get a turnigy plush 30amp esc would i still need to get a external bec since the bec on the esc is only 2amps?
Its one of those: you would probably be ok, but why risk it? If you mix in rudder with ailerons (and recommend you do), and you also use you elevator in the same turn, roll, or whatever - you will be right on the limits of the ESC BEC.

So to answer - Yes.

The obvious question at this point is: why go that way when a SuperSimple or BlueSeries or Mystery will do it all - cheaper?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:18 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Short landings using Flaperons and Elevator mix.

Still going down the path of using reverse-thrust to shorten my landings in my local park (just got to wire my BlueSeries and flash it), however in the interim I have found a pretty good setup to get me down quick, but smoothly. What I have done is set a switch on my TX to give 12mm flaperons (measured at trailing edge and inboard of ailerons) and also mixed in (add) 1mm of down-elevator. Down elevator gives a good landing glide-slope with the flaps adding drag to stop airspeed building. Using 'add' mix means you still have full control but if you leave the sticks alone (and your FJ is trimmed nicely) it sinks fast but with control.

I did a few tests and after using this mix all the way to a landing a few times successfully, thought I would see what happened if I switched the FJ back to normal as it passed me at head-height, the plane immediately levelled out and added many metres to its glide-slope. So all in all pretty happy with this landing config.

By the way - Merry Xmas all!
In New Zealand (because we lead the world) its less than 8 hours until the fat dude comes down my chimney!!