HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300
Thats like comparing a rotten apple to a freshly waxed apple.

The easystar can be found elsewhere for $60.

And quality discussions thus far have been equivalent not superior, unless you consider smooth finish a trait of superiority.

I could easily say, well, I replace my easystar motor/esc with the inexpensive brushless product, now I have an equivalent product at a simillar price, yet I have an extra motor/esc that I could apply to another project. As suggested earlier, the axn doesnt come with a 50 dollar brushless motor.

If we were discussing a 60dollar easystar as compared to a 65 dollar axn both with legit shipping, then you bet your ass, the AXN would win in my mind, hands down, no questions asked.

Perspective.

Id still want the AXN but Im not under any illusion either.
The $123 one he was referring to has to be the receiver ready version. Tower has it. But like you said, the ARF is $60ish. Then you could add 2 servos at $7 and a $7 brushed ESC, or if you didn't like the brushed motor, add a cheap brushless motor, and $10 BL ESC, and still come out cheaper than the AXN, plus have a lower Kv motor for slower/easier flying if you wanted. Or add an inrunner, and aileron servos and come out about the same price as the AXN, but with probably all around better quality electronics than what the AXN comes with. Plus with the E*, have a larger cockpit that's easier to work in and doesn't have to be cut out for a larger battery, fuse halfs that aren't pre-glued, and have available replacement parts at the LHS. Though you have to do the ailerons and brushless mods yourself, unlike the AXN. Also I like the grey E* wings better, which would also require less coats of paint to cover up than white. The larger chord E* wing has to be easier to fly too. And is the AXN EPO harder to glue well? Though the E* does have inferior canopy latches, and is more limited in prop diameter, unless you bought one of these outrunner mounts, which also raises the motor up.

Am I saying I dislike the AXN? No. Just pointing out that there are advantages to both planes, and that the AXN probably isn't the Easy Star killer that some think it is; at least not at $100 for it. It's similar to some talking about how much better of a deal the Wild Hawk is compared to the E*, yet you have to figure in the Tx/RX reception of the WH that many say is bad enough to which you'd likely get frustrated enough (if the strange WH throttle slider didn't already) and want to replace anyway. So compare the WH to the ARF E*, not the RTF. And if you used a coupon on the ARF E* at Tower, you could actually end up cheaper than the WH in the long run (after buying new Rx/Tx) anyway. And this was true even before the WH went up $5 in price $5, and when there was a free shipping code (which is expired now). And if you already own a good Tx, it's a no brainer. Plus have better quality servos and ESC to boot. The E* is probably a bit more durable than, and certainly looks better than, the WH also.

Sorry, got a little off topic there.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
So Tommy,

is the AXN going to be listed on his website or is it a special deal where we have to contact him to order?

Doubletap
Hi ya DT

I would guess Philip will list the model on his site. That said if your semi-serious about getting one I would contact him now.

He has already gotten E-Mails regarding this model so "getting in line" so to speak might be a good idea. That is if you want one from the 1st bunch.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I thought this thread was about tha AXN model, not a comparative between this, the beloved Easy Star and what not?

Might I suggest you open a comparative thread as not to detract to this one dealing strickly with the AXN product?

Tommy D
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
Comparing the AXN to other planes is "about the AXN model".
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:31 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Philip says:

I have only ordered Cloud Fly from AXN, I can't see AXN Floater in their web site, may I know what is that?

I am mainly selling EDF and EP, I didn't in stock for gilder before, I can consider stocking some gilder.

Thank you for your interest.

Philip
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark963
Philip says:

I have only ordered Cloud Fly from AXN, I can't see AXN Floater in their web site, may I know what is that?
Philip,

AXN Cloud Fly is the same aircraft as the "AXN Floater Jet." Hobby City/King calls it the "AXN Floater Jet" on their website, hence the title of this thread.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8359
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:41 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
Yeah the real name is Clouds Fly. HC calls it the Floater Jet, like they rename a lot of their products. Here is the manufacturer's (AXN) website for it. Check out the Minimag copy too.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
So Tommy,

is the AXN going to be listed on his website or is it a special deal where we have to contact him to order?

Doubletap
I just got this message from Philip:
Hi AJ,

Yes, I have ordered the Cloud Fly form ANX, now I am waiting for AXN delivery the stock to me. I will update my site when it is arrived and will be reply the topic in RCG

Thank you for your interest.

Philip
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:24 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I was under the impression someone had already talked to Philip about this. Apparently not. From looking at his prices, I don't think the total including shipping would be any different from HC.
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
You guys are a tough lot

My advice is wait and see. Thats where I'm at.

Or if you can't wait, buy from HC and on the shipping.

Tommy D
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
I wonder if shipping from overseas to the United States also includes import duty?
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
There is no import duty unless your purchasing something really really expensive or in large quantity.

This may not be true for certain countries where we may have some restrictions.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
There is no import duty unless your purchasing something really really expensive or in large quantity. This may not be true for certain countries where we may have some restrictions.
An RC Plane is classed as really really expensive in the UK....... Anything over 30 attracts import duty, post office clearing fees, and customs search fees.... if they spot it coming through... It's a bit hit and miss, whether they spot it and stop it or not. But if they do, then the postman won't hand it over until they get cash in their hands.... It stinks!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:45 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyTheBear
An RC Plane is classed as really really expensive in the UK....... Anything over 30 attracts import duty, post office clearing fees, and customs search fees.... if they spot it coming through... It's a bit hit and miss, whether they spot it and stop it or not. But if they do, then the postman won't hand it over until they get cash in their hands.... It stinks!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
I was speaking regarding US importation. I know UK and Europe shipping pretty much has tax for everything that doesn't originate from the country in question.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
An FYI

Hi all -
Here is just a tidbit to make the HK and r2 systems easier to work on. You do not have to use the "binding" jumper. You can just toss it. I sure got tired of going back to my drawer full of rcvrs to find another one. Well, I won't leave you in the lurch any longer. Just use any servo and plug it into the bat port. Then, do your usual routine to bind the tx and rx together. Cool, huh. You will no longer have to worry about losing or misplacing that blasted little jumper or forgetting it when you go flying. Hope this works for all of you. Let me know. I have ONLY tried it on the HK and r2 rcvrs and it works great. I hope this info is of some use to you folks after all the super info that you have shared with me. Thanks all.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker