HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
I never actually stayed that long in the air. My record so far is 30 minutes air time with 3 landings (and cigarette breaks ) in between.

But say, 9x timer is proportional, depending on the throttle stick? Are you talking stock 9x or have you flashed it with er9x? Have to check it on mine, it never occured to me it could be non-linear.
I think its only proportional after flashing to er9x or one of the others.

When I started to fly I flew 30 mins and had lots of battery left on the 1800mAh.
Now I have some lights, more drag and a higher throttle stick position and fly about 10 mins. I think the Floater-Jet is a real good beginner plane and I think it was right to start with that one (of course some sim before) but if I crash that one and can't repair anymore I probably won't buy a new one. Probably will get a wing instead.
Manfet is offline Find More Posts by Manfet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:13 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
One question about motors due to something odd i just found..

As said before i have a 2212-6 motor in the CloudsFly and a 2826-6 in the HawkSky .. both are the same motor (2212Kv & up to 340W) and both use 6X4 EMP type props..

In the CloudsFly i got 26.5A aprox and arround 310W.. then when i bought the 2826-6 for the HawkFighter mod .. the first days i did testing (using again a 6X4 EMP) and i obtained 22.5A at max.. wich was weird.. tought not much later thrust test showed it was delivering a bit more thrust than the 2212-6 ..

Then today i do a new test as im going to test numbers with a 6X5 (to see if i can get more speed) and with the same 6X4 EMP i today got this:

So... do brushless motors have a break-in period or get "better" after spining some time?

Because the battery was the same, propeller was the same, motor and ESC and ESC settings all the same but im getting today almost 5 extra amps ..and like 80W more..
i tought brushless motors as they dont have "contact" parts (except for bearings) had not much brea-in periods....
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:18 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
One question about motors due to something odd i just found..

As said before i have a 2212-6 motor in the CloudsFly and a 2826-6 in the HawkSky .. both are the same motor (2212Kv & up to 340W) and both use 6X4 EMP type props..

In the CloudsFly i got 26.5A aprox and arround 310W.. then when i bought the 2826-6 for the HawkFighter mod .. the first days i did testing (using again a 6X4 EMP) and i obtained 22.5A at max.. wich was weird.. tought not much later thrust test showed it was delivering a bit more thrust than the 2212-6 ..

Then today i do a new test as im going to test numbers with a 6X5 (to see if i can get more speed) and with the same 6X4 EMP i today got this:

1. So... do brushless motors have a break-in period or get "better" after spining some time?

2. Because the battery was the same, propeller was the same, motor and ESC and ESC settings all the same but im getting today almost 5 extra amps ..and like 80W more..
i tought brushless motors as they dont have "contact" parts (except for bearings) had not much brea-in periods....
1. Short answer - No.

2. Swap the motors ESC's, and battery in each plane. Test. Does the same test #'s follow the motor?

Arnold Baker
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:25 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
FPV and the AXN Floater jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
I am about to FPV transform my floater jet. I am looking at a reasonably inexpensive transmitter/receiver and camera.

Tx/Rx:
http://www.dinodirect.com/1-2GHz-800...ESXF800mW.html

and Camera:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Lens-OSD.html
RCG has a great "sister" thread that addresses the Bixler FPV and just about everything else that covers FPV. Take a look, The guy that created it is a super modeler and I am sure he has all the information that you might want.
Sincerely,
Arnold Baker
P.S. See my blog if you want even more information.

anyone have experience with such heavy gear on an AXN Floater Jet?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
RCG has a great "sister" thread that addresses the Bixler FPV and just about everything else that covers FPV. Take a look, The guy that created it is a super modeler and I am sure he has all the information that you might want.
Sincerely,
Arnold Baker
P.S. See my blog if you want even more information.

anyone have experience with such heavy gear on an AXN Floater Jet?
I had looked your blog that is so cool ,how do you do that ,can you tell me the dinodirect and the second which is well ?and which has low price.?
marydino is offline Find More Posts by marydino
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:16 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
This week-end I finally received and managed to test my new 808 #11 on the AXN - I'm very pleased with the quality of the cam, even though there was really not much light, the video turned out quite useable. During the two conversions (my re-coding at home + re-coding on the YouTube site) the quality of the original picture was pretty much lost, but anyway - here it is.

Who says one can't fly a roll with the AXN? Check 05:00, that's where the rolls start. And don't forget to put it in 720p mode. :-)

AXN Floater Jet / Clouds Fly - Camera Flight (7 min 19 sec)

UPDATE: here also a link to VIMEO, with a non-transcoded video (took me quite a while to find a program which doesn't recode everything on the first cut :-( ):

AXN Floater Jet / Clouds Fly with a 808 #11 cam on board (6 min 0 sec)
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Dec 07, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
This week-end I finally received and managed to test my new 808 #11 on the AXN - I'm very pleased with the quality of the cam, even though there was really not much light, the video turned out quite useable. During the two conversions (my re-coding at home + re-coding on the YouTube site) the quality of the original picture was pretty much lost, but anyway - here it is.

Who says one can't fly a roll with the AXN? Check 05:00, that's where the rolls start. And don't forget to put it in 720p mode. :-)

UPDATE: here also a link to VIMEO, with a non-transcoded video (took me quite a while to find a program which doesn't recode everything on the first cut :-( ):

http://vimeo.com/33246961
Um.... Ummm.... About that pole at 4:33 in the second video. I actually saw it jump right off the road to get your plane. You have to watch out for those. GENE puts them in the location of your flying just to disable your plane.
BTW-Both videos look like the same video with slightly different editing and, of course, the different places that you posted.
AJ
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:06 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Did you also see how that pole jumped right in front of me? Glad to hear, all other comments went in somewhat different directions.

From where I was standing, it looked like I'd be at least one meter away from it. Have to make an sight check.

Considering those two videos being the same: I know, that second one was just a "see what the cam can without two transcoding steps", sorry if I wasn't clear about that. :-( I think the second video is of a higher quality (considering the resolution and details), but it could also be that I'm just imagining it. :-)
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:09 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Um.... Ummm.... About that pole at 4:33 in the second video. I actually saw it jump right off the road to get your plane. You have to watch out for those. GENE puts them in the location of your flying just to disable your plane.
LOL, yeah. Nice flying field but next time don't park next to the only pole in the county.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:15 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
LOL, believe it or not, that pole was even easily removable. I found out later. :-)

A colleague of mine said "hey, that was COOL, the way you used that pole for the spot landing!"

Anyway, the AXN took it like a man - there was not even the slightest sign of any damage to the plane.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:47 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
Well.. today i did the test on the 2826-6 on the HawkSky with the 6X5 prop.. same 30C 2200 3S batt fully charged fresh

Compared to the 6X4 is consistent with the CloudsFly results.. tought higher (it puts more thrust too) the 6X5 reads a bit lower in static ... you sugested here in the past that it could be due to prop stalling or sliping..

How would that translate into flight speed? Should i get more top speed with the 6X5 or will loose speed by stalling in flight?

What puzzles me is people with this motor in the comments section of Hobbyking and in youtube videos using even 6X6 propellers in wings and so...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Today I had a few very nice flights, zero wind and not as cold as usually. I also tried the inverted flight for the first time - with quite some success, I managed even a sort-of controlled inverted turn. I'll post the video as soon as I get some time to cut it.

At a point in time, some 15 minutes air time (with much more throttle than usual, it seems I'm losing my beginner attitude ), I had the feeling that the motor doesn't quite have the punch it usually does, so I landed. I also felt a few drops of rain on my face and didn't want to take chances.

A few minutes later, the rain stopped, and I thought to myself "what the hell, one more flight". However, I forgot to change the lipo. :-)

The launch went terribly bad. I don't think I did a mistake, but the plane crashed into the ground, spun around and came to a heart-breaking stop, pieces of earth flying around.

No much damage, the servos are fine, just some mud on the body and a piece of the horizontal stabilizer broke off - exactly at the place where the re-inforcement rod ends, of course. Can be fixed with no problems.

I blamed the lipo being empty, but as I came home, I saw the cells at 3.79 volt, which is not that low. I was able to put some 1050 mAh into the battery, which means I spent only 2/3 of the capacity (flying with 1550 @ 25C lipo now, for a change - the plane feels somewhat more agile than with my usual 2200).

Is it possible that the power the lipo can deliver to the motor falls off that fast with the capacity spent / voltage drop? Or would you guess it was my bad launch after all?

Sorry if this is a sorf of off-topic question.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Man, you have it good - 1.2 GHz @ 800mW! Here in Europe, everything going beyond a few mW (25 at 5.4, if I remember correctly; 1.2 is forbidden anyway) is highly illegal, if one gets caught (and one does, eventually, except if one flies somewhere in the mountains or in the middle of nowhere), the fine is very very high.

Is it that where you live, the regulation is much less strict? Are you aware of the local regulations? I thought 1.2GHz is being used for civilian air data comms (but I might be wrong, no time to look up, have to take kids to the cinema )
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:

...I blamed the lipo being empty, but as I came home, I saw the cells at 3.79 volt, which is not that low. I was able to put some 1050 mAh into the battery, which means I spent only 2/3 of the capacity (flying with 1550 @ 25C lipo now, for a change - the plane feels somewhat more agile than with my usual 2200).

Is it possible that the power the lipo can deliver to the motor falls off that fast with the capacity spent / voltage drop? Or would you guess it was my bad launch after all?
Not a 100% sure of LiPos, but generally battery voltage will 'bounce' back with time. Electronically we were taught that a flat battery looks like a battery in series with a resistor. So measuring volts without amps (ie measure at the end of the resistor) and you will see normal'ish volts. Perhaps that's what happened in your case s_c? The voltage read high but capacity was actually down? Can you remember how powerful the motor sounded at launch? That's probably your best yardstick at the end of the day
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
Well ..solved the mistery of the 6X5 prop that drawed less power than the 6X4...

Opened a thread about it and Dr.Kiwi solved the mistery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Aha... you have two TGS props from early production which were incorrectly stamped at the factory... we resolved this issue many months ago... just call your one labelled 6x4, a 6x5... and vice versa.... and you'll be good to go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17

So i checked and sure enought.. the one labeled 6X4 has visibly more pitch than the one labeled as 6X5... even a 6X3 i had arround seems to have more pitch

So turns out that in the HawkSky i have been flying with a 6X5 all the time....have to check whats on the CloudsFly ...since this seems like a huge chinese mess
RCG Plus Member