HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:15 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
It seems tough when some poor person that has only made 10 posts and only one in this part of the forum gets told to go away.

I think flying the standard CF boring and it is great you help a LOT of people get their CF going but if people are talking on how the FPV gear fits into the CF or the type/size of FPV gear being used then bring it on.

If it is just about FPV gear only then they can go elsewhere.

They have had it out on the other areas where it was agreed that if it is like how equipment is fitted into the plane and not specific FPV stuff then it is all right. I realise EasyStar now have a FPV area and that is for specific FPV stuff.

So here is a photo of my CF with the FPV gear and servo modifications, to keep on topic.

That is just my 2 cents worth. I'll await the reply.
Why don't those of us with FPV experience (which is not me ....) start a 'sister' thread with info specifically for FPV on the CF and then cross reference between the 2 threads ... that way tangential stuff to the purpose will not get in the way ????

On another note I have 2 CF's that I am flying atm mine and the one I gave my brother .. one has a different radio setup to the other. Spectrum and some FHSS cheapo 2.4ghz. The cheapo flies like the controls are in jelly ... my poor brother watched as I sent his flying day into the ground and broke the fuse ... so in true foamy style we taped it up and put it back in the air --- it din't fly any worse ...

I want to try and put a different Rx in the second one to see if the difference is just the radio. Any one have any experience??
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Why don't those of us with FPV experience (which is not me ....) start a 'sister' thread with info specifically for FPV on the CF and then cross reference between the 2 threads ... that way tangential stuff to the purpose will not get in the way ????

On another note I have 2 CF's that I am flying atm mine and the one I gave my brother .. one has a different radio setup to the other. Spectrum and some FHSS cheapo 2.4ghz. The cheapo flies like the controls are in jelly ... my poor brother watched as I sent his flying day into the ground and broke the fuse ... so in true foamy style we taped it up and put it back in the air --- it din't fly any worse ...

I want to try and put a different Rx in the second one to see if the difference is just the radio. Any one have any experience??
Can you be more specific on the problem with the "controls in jelly" comment? I don't have a clue what you are referring to. The control surface hinges are very stiff on the stock CF, and they need to be disconnected and "massaged" beyond their normal travel range to loosen them up. Maybe that was the problem?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Can you be more specific on the problem with the "controls in jelly" comment? I don't have a clue what you are referring to. The control surface hinges are very stiff on the stock CF, and they need to be disconnected and "massaged" beyond their normal travel range to loosen them up. Maybe that was the problem?
Thanks Tom ... no the rear stab is hinged with dubro hinges and the ailes are with tape ... all movement it good. I mean like walking through jelly- slow and spongy. It has HXT900 servos all round and just flies so different to the other one. I am going to put an orang Rx in and try it on my DX6i to see if there is a difference.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom ... no the rear stab is hinged with dubro hinges and the ailes are with tape ... all movement it good. I mean like walking through jelly- slow and spongy. It has HXT900 servos all round and just flies so different to the other one. I am going to put an orang Rx in and try it on my DX6i to see if there is a difference.
It is definitely possible, even on the same plane. I had a similar question on behalf of a friend, who recently upgraded to DX8. The answer is here
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:27 AM
4 Heli's, 1 Plane, & 1 Car
Canada, ON, Angus
Joined Mar 2010
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Hi kashalp

What is the red/burgundy coloured stuff on the wing tips?

Solar film?

Good looking CF.
LOL, actually its my special Sharpie marker paint job. I spent the time to mask straight lines with tape, then simply colored the wing tips like a grade 3 student Couldn't find a color i liked in paint at the local hardware store that wouldn't eat the EPO foam so played it safe and used these...

Thanks for the compliment tho, i think its rather good looking myself
kashalp is offline Find More Posts by kashalp
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... I use HXT900 servos all the time now, and they are both fast and strong. Unless your linkage has some slop or "give" in the pushrods, or the deflection is less, I can't imagine what the difference could be. I wouldn't think the RX would be at fault, though. But let us know if you get it resolved.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
It is definitely possible, even on the same plane. I had a similar question on behalf of a friend, who recently upgraded to DX8. The answer is here
Just read this post. Transmitter latency, eh? I don't use 2.4 Ghz radios, but having that much difference in the way the same plane flies when using different TXs seems very undesirable!
Old Oct 01, 2011, 04:41 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Just read this post. Transmitter latency, eh? I don't use 2.4 Ghz radios, but having that much difference in the way the same plane flies when using different TXs seems very undesirable!
Yeah, but for the CF I'm surprised it is very noticable. Unlike helis there is aerodynamic lag. But I never argue with the users who experience a difference in feel, and never with the guys with the oscilloscopes
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:06 AM
gravity is strong where I fly
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2011
218 Posts
First off; I apologize for not reading most of the 550 pages of this AXN "new product" thread, so this may have been asked before....

I just received my AXN, and I want to keep the exterior looking as nice as it came from the factory, so I do not want to attach components outside of the fuse. It appears there is a lot of room inside the fuse under the wing; but very little access.

Is there a reason to not cut out a access panel out of the bottom of the fuse to get to this area? I'm thinking both the receiver and the ESC can be retained inside there (also keeping them outta harms way if they were in the nose). If I'm careful enough cutting out a rectangular "block", then it could be re-installed and retained with a large piece of packing tape. I could make my slices in the fuse at inward angles (drafted) so this new access panel could not get pushed into the cavity as well .

Any reason to not do this modification?
Air Cooled is offline Find More Posts by Air Cooled
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:28 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,009 Posts
AC, I have kept up with all of this thread and can tell you that haven't heard or seem Anyone that came up with that idea ... That sounds like a Great idea man. PLEASE, try it out! You might be starting a trend. Who knows, I might do the same down the line. As long as the CG checks out,you're good to go.*
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cooled View Post
It appears there is a lot of room inside the fuse under the wing; but very little access.
Is there a reason to not cut out a access panel out of the bottom of the fuse to get to this area?
An 1800 battery in the stock slot balances the plane pretty well with the ESC/RX up front. You'll need to either move a battery that size further forward or use a larger battery to balance properly with the ESC/RX further back (or add dead weight - UGH!). If you are building very light (e.g. with 1300 battery, you'd need dead weight up front to balance.

But if you do move that gear aft, make sure you do something to keep all the cables from restricting the pushrod movement, and that you still get good cooling airflow across the ESC.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Flew this plane today for the first time in my life. Crash landed on the roof and broke one servo arm of the stock servo. Couldnt find that servo arm on hobbyking, could you plz help?
Should I order anything else for the plane, like 6x5 prop, etc? And which prop?
I'd also like to have bigger ailerons movements. Do I just buy new servo with bigger servo arms? Which servos?
Iam also using 20ESC and not the 25A one with everything stock, is it ok?

So many questions, excuse the noob =)
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Last edited by RoboSerg; Oct 02, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Flew this plane today for the first time in my life. Crash landed on the roof and broke one servo arm of the stock servo. Couldnt find that servo arm on hobbyking, could you plz help?
Yes I found those hard to match as well ... I would get a few HXT900's from hobby king and replace both the Elevator and Rudder servos if they were the pair that broke or if it was one of the Aileron servos I would replace both Aileron servos with the HXT's. Better still replace all four .

Quote:
Should I order anything else for the plane, like 6x5 prop, etc? And which prop?
I think most of us flying this use a 6x4 (e) and a 3mm prop adapter (collet style)--(whoops my bad different plane!! not 7x6...blerggg )

Quote:
I'd also like to have bigger ailerons movements. Do I just buy new servo with bigger servo arms? Which servos?
no need for larger arms just make sure you have outside hole (or near as with the adapter) on the servo arm and nearest to inside on the control horn. This provides most movement. Then you need to set up mechanical or radio (subject to your setup) differential. this will provide good surface authority ... you can extend the servo with your radio program but I haven't bothered with this.

Quote:
Iam also using 20ESC and not the 25A one with everything stock, is it ok?

So many questions, excuse the noob =)
Do you have a watt meter? Test the current at WOT (brief run up only!!) if you are not peaking beyond 20amp you have no problem otherwise you will need to modify how you fly or get a bigger ESC if you go down the track of a bigger capacity ESC then probably get the Turnigy 30amp from HK.

Never be afraid to ask questions - how else can any of us learn if we are not questioning?? Enjoy your CF it is a fantastic little plane.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:33 PM
flying or crashing into air?
Australia, VIC, Langwarrin
Joined Feb 2011
1,284 Posts
Hi guys
I have been flying heli's siince xmas (I have 2 CX 450's) and just ordered this as my first plane .
Is this glue ok to use http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oam_Safe_.html or is the stock glue better.
Thanks
wizzard363 is online now Find More Posts by wizzard363
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard363 View Post
Hi guys
I have been flying heli's siince xmas (I have 2 CX 450's) and just ordered this as my first plane .
Is this glue ok to use http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oam_Safe_.html or is the stock glue better.
Thanks
With this foam use the stock glue (which by all accounts is fine) or use 5 min Epoxy ... the foam safe CA won't hold the tail on properly especially if you use accelerator - it becomes too brittle.