HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:30 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I have never used an 8x4 prop and I never said I did. The 8x3.8 is just part of the package linked above. I use a TGS 7x5 prop and it gives the best Watts/per pound of all the props I have tried. I do not recommend cutting a notch in the fuse for anyone since it is one of the weak spots of the fuse. I flew the AXN with the 2212-06 and found it came up short in both power and flight time. The motor works fairly well in a slow stick.
AJ
Have you done any bench testing on that prop? the figures on flybrushless.com show 788g thrust and 60mph pitch speed for an APC 7x5E on that motor, drawing 20.2A. I think the TGS props might a little more efficient around that size.

a TGS 6x4E on a 2212-06 puts out 868g thrust and would have around 80mph pitch speed (the test data assumed a pitch of 4.0", but they are actually 4.6") drawing 23.9A

Did you try a TGS 6x5E or TGS 6x4E with your 2212? remember TGS screwed up the pitch numbers for these props. The 6x5E is really 4.0" and the 6x4E is 4.6".

I would love to see some pics of that 7" prop on a CF
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:41 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsaw
Actually you did say that you use an 8 x 4 prop.
Note, though, I said TRIMMED Down. Actually, it is about 7.1" at actual use. So, I still say, I have never used an 8x4. Anything beyond that is just tearing up word and does no one any good. I think everyone understands what is going on.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:49 AM
Iowa
Joined Jan 2006
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Note, though, I said TRIMMED Down. Actually, it is about 7.1" at actual use. So, I still say, I have never used an 8x4. Anything beyond that is just tearing up word and does no one any good. I think everyone understands what is going on.
AJ

I knew you would come back with a response on that one.
Warsaw is offline Find More Posts by Warsaw
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:55 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix
Have you done any bench testing on that prop? the figures on flybrushless.com show 788g thrust and 60mph pitch speed for an APC 7x5E on that motor, drawing 20.2A. I think the TGS props might a little more efficient around that size.

a TGS 6x4E on a 2212-06 puts out 868g thrust and would have around 80mph pitch speed (the test data assumed a pitch of 4.0", but they are actually 4.6") drawing 23.9A

Did you try a TGS 6x5E or TGS 6x4E with your 2212? remember TGS screwed up the pitch numbers for these props. The 6x5E is really 4.0" and the 6x4E is 4.6".

I would love to see some pics of that 7" prop on a CF
I only use charts for a starting point. I have found way too many times that the Calculated numbers are far off from the actual numbers. Other times they are right on. I have several identical motors that need different props to get the optimal thrust/watts. So, for me, I use only real data from my test stand to determine what I use for motor, prop, esc, battery info. Also, depending on what type of flying I want to do, I will change the prop, battery, and sometimes the esc to accomplish my needs. Unfortunately, in my experience (40+ years), I have come to the conclusion that there is no magic formula for the optimal gear in a given airplane. That is OK with me because I love to experiment as much as I do fly the planes. Most of my experience professionally has been systems design in a weightless environment. That is totally different from what I deal with as a hobbyist. I like gravity a lot more.
Oh, after changing motors, props, batteries, ESC, etc on the AXN, I finally arrived right back at where I started - the stock setup with the necessary mods to the motor for reliability. For my flying, the stock setup is a perfect balance for both gliding about and limited aerobatics. At this moment, it is totally stock.
AJ
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:48 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
.... try the 6x4
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:52 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Hi guys,

Just got the CF ARF. Am using HXT 900s. Just wondering how you guys mount the 2 servos in the fuse? Do you use the supplied glue and mount them directly onto the foam cutouts?

If you do that, won't he foam be ripped off if the servos need to be replaced later?

Thanks for helping. Want to be sure I get evrything done correctly before the maiden.

Cheers
JS
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:42 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992
Hi guys,

Just got the CF ARF. Am using HXT 900s. Just wondering how you guys mount the 2 servos in the fuse? Do you use the supplied glue and mount them directly onto the foam cutouts?

If you do that, won't he foam be ripped off if the servos need to be replaced later?

Thanks for helping. Want to be sure I get evrything done correctly before the maiden.

Cheers
JS
I've used 3M double side tape under the servo and put some hotglue around the servo where it touchs the ''side wall'' of the fuselage. This way the servos wont move and it is relatively easy to remove them if you need to replace one.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Aug 06, 2009, 03:33 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
What I did

Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers
JS
You caught me at the right time. I just replaced a servo in my wing and here is what I do. I just wedge the servo in the wing (the HXT900 is just slightly bigger than the servo hole). Then cover it with packing tape. It works great and it is simple to change a servo as seen here. I replaced the servo because of centering problems. After 40+ flights, I have had no problems with this setup at all. I hope this helps you.
AJ
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
240 Posts
I too use the packing tape method with a drop of hot glue.
Has anybody had any problems with hot esc i changed out my spektrrum 6100 rx because of a broken dx6i. I cant wait to fly so i put an old esky rx and tx so i could fly while i wait for it to come back but i noticed that while testing i ran the throttle up for less than 30 seconds in two bursts and the esc is hot. Could the different rx do this or could it be the esc itself. Im using 20c 2200 zippys with the stock motor and esc. No loose magnets in the motor and nothing binding that i see any ideas???
EDGEE400 is offline Find More Posts by EDGEE400
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:41 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEE400
I too use the packing tape method with a drop of hot glue.
Has anybody had any problems with hot esc i changed out my spektrrum 6100 rx because of a broken dx6i. I cant wait to fly so i put an old esky rx and tx so i could fly while i wait for it to come back but i noticed that while testing i ran the throttle up for less than 30 seconds in two bursts and the esc is hot. Could the different rx do this or could it be the esc itself. Im using 20c 2200 zippys with the stock motor and esc. No loose magnets in the motor and nothing binding that i see any ideas???
Prop on backwards can cause this.
AJ
Old Aug 07, 2009, 01:48 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Thanks Saucisse, AJ and Edgee400. I'll use the double-sided tape, packing tape and glue combo.

I'm still trying to figure out how the aileron servo cables run. I know how they go in the spar channel, connect to the Y-harness.... then what? there appears to be some kind of hole in the fuse where the two wing halves meet but that hole does not lead to the fuse where the RX will be. I know there's something about this somewhere in this thread (read through close to every posts here). Do I need to dig out a hole? Grateful for some help or pix here. The instruction leaflet is of little help, unfortunately.

Thanks!
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:24 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Saucisse, AJ and Edgee400. I'll use the double-sided tape, packing tape and glue combo.

I'm still trying to figure out how the aileron servo cables run. I know how they go in the spar channel, connect to the Y-harness.... then what? there appears to be some kind of hole in the fuse where the two wing halves meet but that hole does not lead to the fuse where the RX will be. I know there's something about this somewhere in this thread (read through close to every posts here). Do I need to dig out a hole? Grateful for some help or pix here. The instruction leaflet is of little help, unfortunately.

Thanks!
Yes. you have to cut a little hole in the fuse where the notch in the wing is (for the "y" part of the cable). I glued my wings in. So, I cannot submit a picture which I would love to do. It actually is easier than it looks. Once you cut that little bitty hole in the fuse, you will say "Well, that was easy".
AJ
Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:47 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Wheels

Since I have been wanting to put wheels on the CF, I did it. I still have to paint all of the pieces. But, these pics are what I have before paint.
AJ
Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers
JS
Speaking of being on the same page, I misread your post above. You were asking about the fuselage - NOT the wing - DUH. So, here is a pic of the fuselage servos. I hope it helps somewhat. I left them exactly as as they came. Didn't yours come with all the servos mounted? Or did you buy an ARF from Philip? In any case, I suggest a very small drop of hot glue on the bottom of the servo.

AJ

P.S. The gold box in the lower right is a pitch gyro. It is wonderful. We can discuss gyros another time.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 03:13 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,322 Posts
jsec1992

the y-cable goes through the small hole in the fuse .
the cables push it to the left of the hole, in line with the wing servo cable so the wings fit properly.
jaccies is online now Find More Posts by jaccies