HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Launch with a heafty upward throw then add throttle as in the vid above.
The line of thrust is above "center line" causing imbalance about the pitch axis often referred to as "c.o.g.". The Lake Renegade has similar attributes as do most amfibious "boat planes".
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nob View Post
Hello guys,

I need some help. I managed to fly the AXN for about 15min, it was my first flying and it was awesome. That is why I am now even more frustrated as I don't manage to get it in the air since. I have broke the elevator control surface off. What is the best way to re-hinge? I used ductape and it looks fine, the control surface is doing OK as I tested with the controls. From the very beginning, the plane is quite nose diving. I am launching it from a small hill, and it almost crashes at the bottom, then at the end it does get some lift and pulls up. The battery is 2200mah 3s, the CG is on where the wing carbon rod goes along. Any ideas why this is happening? Is it possible I am throwing it to gently?

After some crashes, the nose is pretty bet up. I am using hair fan to put it in place, and the glue that came along for sticking the cracks. But still the nose is pretty bad and after the next crash its even worse. Do you have any tricks to strengthen the nose? Mine is really bad at the area where the nose is the thinnest, that is where the canopy is. I was thinking of gluing some ice sticks there with hotglue. Good idea?

It seems I will be ordering a new kit version very soon. :/

Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Tape is good, I prefer hot glue for hinges, in fact I reinforced all my CF hinges this way to avoid flutter. I use low rates FWIW. Here's a video of the method.

Hot Melt Hinges for EPP Airplanes (6 min 53 sec)
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nob View Post
Hello guys,

I need some help. I managed to fly the AXN for about 15min, it was my first flying and it was awesome. That is why I am now even more frustrated as I don't manage to get it in the air since. I have broke the elevator control surface off. What is the best way to re-hinge? I used ductape and it looks fine, the control surface is doing OK as I tested with the controls. From the very beginning, the plane is quite nose diving. I am launching it from a small hill, and it almost crashes at the bottom, then at the end it does get some lift and pulls up. The battery is 2200mah 3s, the CG is on where the wing carbon rod goes along. Any ideas why this is happening? Is it possible I am throwing it to gently?

After some crashes, the nose is pretty bet up. I am using hair fan to put it in place, and the glue that came along for sticking the cracks. But still the nose is pretty bad and after the next crash its even worse. Do you have any tricks to strengthen the nose? Mine is really bad at the area where the nose is the thinnest, that is where the canopy is. I was thinking of gluing some ice sticks there with hotglue. Good idea?

It seems I will be ordering a new kit version very soon. :/

Thanks for your help.
Best regards
These pusher planes with push down under power. It's one of the quirks of the configuration. Launch at 3/4 throttle and launch in a upward (30 degree) angle.

To fix the elevator buy some 3M Extreme tape. You tape the top and bottom surfaces. Flip the elevator up as far as it will go and tape the bottom. When done more the elevator to full down and tape the top. Bingo, re-hinged.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:27 AM
nob
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Okay, very much helpful information and advice. Thank you guys!

I will try the hotglue hinge, if it will turn out I am to clumsy, I will just tape it.

So no matter what I do, the plane will push down when applying more and more power to the motor. This is good to know. I think I've read somewhere that when applying power the plane should push up. It was probably another plane, but it had 100% motor mounted on top like the CF (CF stands for Clouds Fly, right?)
nob is offline Find More Posts by nob
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Close call today,

had flown 3 packs with my son{10} trying to get him in to the hobby , and had been handing the controller over to him to fly some circuits.
Any way the bird was making an odd sound, like the prop was clicking, did a couple of low slow passes but nothing obvious. Luckily I opted to land and have a look, the screws holding the motor to the mount had come out with a single loose screw holding the motor which was now rotation on the single screw and catching the boom.

I noticed earlier on battery 1 that a screw was winding out and tightened it up, but that one was missing too. It was a hot day for the uk and I'd been trying out a 6.5x5.5 prop and I'm thinking the heat unstuck the nuts from the plastic mount?
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:27 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
One silly question... what effect would have removing the horizontal stabilizator tips?

Yesterday during some trials of ground take off one of the tips (by tip i mean the rounded tip from the elevator end to the stab end) wich was easily repaired.. i had allready broken off the other side one more than one year ago and just same was as easily repaired... by i wonder what effect would have removing the tips since the elevator surface would remain the same.. only the horizontal stabilizator would loose a bit of surface.. less elevator command? just less horizontal stabilization? not much change?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
One silly question... what effect would have removing the horizontal stabilizator tips?

Yesterday during some trials of ground take off one of the tips (by tip i mean the rounded tip from the elevator end to the stab end) wich was easily repaired.. i had allready broken off the other side one more than one year ago and just same was as easily repaired... by i wonder what effect would have removing the tips since the elevator surface would remain the same.. only the horizontal stabilizator would loose a bit of surface.. less elevator command? just less horizontal stabilization? not much change?
Are you talking about the control horn tips snagging? If so, just buy some wing skids. Hobbyking carries an array of them.

Here is one link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2mm_10pcs.html

Below is another version:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:37 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Are you talking about the control horn tips snagging?
nope... i mean literally the horizontal stabililzator tips.. the rounded tips of it
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
nope... i mean literally the horizontal stabililzator tips.. the rounded tips of it
Wow, put some gear on the plane then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Yeah...

Anyway i was asking more about the efects of removing those tips in the plane performance
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:13 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Yeah...

Anyway i was asking more about the efects of removing those tips in the plane performance
My guess is that it would not be noticable except maybe at launch - if you have one that dips a lot it might dip more and be harder to recover.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:38 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Yeah...

I haven't noticed any change in flight characteristics. One side of mine is gone and the other is fractured. Still flies great. Except my wing socket on the fuse is a little loose and if full throttle in a dive especially it does this nasty accelerated spin stall when trying to pull up with any aggression.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:09 PM
Put Your Hand under the Brick!
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Going to mod my Cloud Fly. Woopy!!!

Hi everyone, Wow lot of posts on this thread. My first Plane was the SS and now I own two CFs. I have about 12 or so Flights on the CF and there just needs to have some mods. I'm going the direction I took with My SS, over the next few weeks ill be posting some info, and also asking for some suggestions from all you wise Pilots on here. I'm going to read as much as I can of this thread, but mite need to be referred to post #'s, lol. I'm a forum neewbe. I have had Great success with My SS and have really appreciated all the help from everybody. Thank You.

Issues I think need addressing:

To Much Body Flex.
Not enough Aileron surface
Tail heavy
Weak
No room
Overheat
Under-powered
Unresponsive

I'm going to start with the body flex. The CF's CF tube is great for the back of the plane but when i fly it I see major flex at where it stops half way up the fuselage. i want to transfer some of that load forward to the front, and to the wings.

With a 3mm CF rod I will epoxy it inside the original rod and extend to the nose. the center line in this case is taking it below where my battery goes so that's good.

In my next post ill show ya what i do to transfer a little load to the wing, I did it in my SS and it makes it a solid plane.

Thanks Guy's

Key
Keyholebud is offline Find More Posts by Keyholebud
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:31 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyholebud View Post
Hi everyone, Wow lot of posts on this thread. My first Plane was the SS and now I own two CFs. I have about 12 or so Flights on the CF and there just needs to have some mods. I'm going the direction I took with My SS, over the next few weeks ill be posting some info, and also asking for some suggestions from all you wise Pilots on here. I'm going to read as much as I can of this thread, but mite need to be referred to post #'s, lol. I'm a forum neewbe. I have had Great success with My SS and have really appreciated all the help from everybody. Thank You.

Issues I think need addressing:

To Much Body Flex.
Not enough Aileron surface
Tail heavy
Weak
No room
Overheat
Under-powered
Unresponsive

I'm going to start with the body flex. The CF's CF tube is great for the back of the plane but when i fly it I see major flex at where it stops half way up the fuselage. i want to transfer some of that load forward to the front, and to the wings.

With a 3mm CF rod I will epoxy it inside the original rod and extend to the nose. the center line in this case is taking it below where my battery goes so that's good.

In my next post ill show ya what i do to transfer a little load to the wing, I did it in my SS and it makes it a solid plane.

Thanks Guy's

Key
Make sure you read Page #1 - Posts 2 & 3 of this thread. All the answers you are looking for are listed there.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:38 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Which replacement motor?

I know this has been discussed before, but I'd like a specific "for me" answer.

I crashed my plane a week or so ago, and the motor hit the ground with the prop still spinning. Long story short, I fixed the plane, but the motor now has a vibration. Not too bad, but it puts small waves in the GoPro movies.

I'm still using the stock 25A ESC, but I have a 30A Turnigy one on the shelf. I use 6x4E propellers.

I mainly just fly around filming with the GoPro, so just circuits and 8's and stuff, maybe a loop occasionally but basically no aerobatics. The plane currently weighs about 650g with the camera on it, and I like a high climb rate. Speed is not so important, but doesn't hurt.

What motor would you recommend to replace the stock one? I'd be happy to just buy a direct replacement, but Hk are out of stock so who know how long that might take. I'd prefer one that can just bolt straight on, so I don't have to fiddle around with mounts and stuff.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Last edited by rogueqd; Aug 01, 2011 at 08:43 AM.