SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:55 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,348 Posts
That happens...

I also hitted a tree once (in my first onboard camera video recorded actually).. tought i was quite lucky and the plane sustained 0 damage somehow... it was actually more embarrasing because i just had said "I have to keep more distance from those trees because i dont have quite clear where they are" and when i tought i was 10m away from them .. crash
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
love rc bombs :)
sweden
Joined Jan 2010
293 Posts
i have been flying in a field in the woods with my CF and gopro for a week, 4 crash landings 3 of them were bad so i have a beat up nose that was glued into place after some elapour soupe (spelling?) but its still twisted and beat up. The plane still flies very good even in strong winds.

/SRCG
swedish rc guy is offline Find More Posts by swedish rc guy
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
... I like my CF to be smooth as a baby! When I beat it up, i just wanna buy a new one. I'm a freak that way.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:17 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
That happens...

I also hitted a tree once (in my first onboard camera video recorded actually).. tought i was quite lucky and the plane sustained 0 damage somehow... it was actually more embarrasing because i just had said "I have to keep more distance from those trees because i dont have quite clear where they are" and when i tought i was 10m away from them .. crash

Hmmm funny you should mentoin that - esport Phoenix similar to CF ....

eSport Phoenix Tree Crash (0 min 43 sec)
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:15 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Hmmm funny you should mentoin that - esport Phoenix similar to CF ....

http://youtu.be/aPyI9gZftvs

Yeah...
At least as you said you didnt need to climb the tree.. it took us 20m to recover cause it felt down in quite high density bushes to the point that it wasnt visible until practically steping on it and thankfully the beeping of the ESC when Tx is off helped finding it

AXN Floater (Clouds Fly) onboard camera flight and crash (9 min 56 sec)

Crash at 9:40 so you can skeep and not loose time
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,006 Posts
Ha ha ... F@# TREES!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
4 Heli's, 1 Plane, & 1 Car
Canada, ON, Angus
Joined Mar 2010
171 Posts
EDIT: lol please ignore post. Found it thank you.

For anyone else looking:

How to glue axn floater magnets: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=487
kashalp is offline Find More Posts by kashalp
Last edited by kashalp; Jul 27, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:37 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,348 Posts
Also i would recomend putting epoxy filling the void spaces between magnets.. at least as a last sollution in case the CA doesnt work.. it just may do it.

I glued my magnets with epoxy only to have all of them coming out day by day and again and again until i CA all them and filled the void spaces between with epoxy.. that ended the magnet-loose problem..

tought i dont know if the CA only could had worked (only know that the epoxy didnt) and the epoxy filling has the risk of causing imbalance in the motor and further vibrations..plush possible problems if the epoxy touches the stator (added resistance)

On another news.. i finally did the test flight with the new 2212 motor... i had to drive 50kms to find a grass field that was usable (plain.. not many tress.. not near some potential victims and/or buildings, not too close to the sea, accesible and not close and guarded by some killing dog...) the reason being fear that if the motor did something wrong it could fry the ESC and take control with it so to avoid the CF going into people or for a drink)

It was a quite windy day..tought it was quite stable wind (i was near the sea... yes i said before i looked for a field not too close to the sea.. that means almost a beach : )

Its impressivly fast! and that was with a 6X4.. it was and with wind and all allready faster than the old motor with the 5X5.. and vertical was amazing .. it now climbed and climbed without that "hint" that its about to stall and fall back.. it did only when i cutted out power (to avoid possible overheat) and not its able to do loops and snap rolls even from slow speed thanks to way faster aceleration.. actually i think im going to take an inspection of the wings and specially the spar covers and reinforce them if necesary since the wings were noticibly more "stressed" ..

Couldnt test ground take off because the grass was way too high for a try.. did a test of "nose down when power" since i added 2 1mm washers in the motor lower bolts.. its notible less now (also the motor is like 3 or 4mm lower than before, 6X4 still has fair clearance) , it still has some but it defintily was less... handlaunching was quite easier and it just came out of the hands many times and only needed 35-40% power to go out

the negs: I added a small VGA-RAM heatsink to the ESC , I did a couple of quick flights at the beginning of going like 70%, WOT for 3 or 4 seconds and land.. the ESC heatsink was quite hot.. practically unberable for my finger.. i will add 2 heatsinks to it but maybe i should begin thinking in some alternative cooling sollution... and i really dont want to install the ESC outside.. we will se..

Overall satisficed with the flight test.. the CF is back in power.. cant wait to the flight field to be "restored" and to try also a 5X5 wich should show an increase of top speed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:

the negs: I added a small VGA-RAM heatsink to the ESC , I did a couple of quick flights at the beginning of going like 70%, WOT for 3 or 4 seconds and land.. the ESC heatsink was quite hot.. practically unberable for my finger.. i will add 2 heatsinks to it but maybe i should begin thinking in some alternative cooling sollution... and i really dont want to install the ESC outside.. we will se..
A separate SBEC should cure a lot of the heating ills. That is where I would suggest starting.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
A separate SBEC should cure a lot of the heating ills. That is where I would suggest starting.
AJ
That would cure also the danger of loosing control if the ESC fries and would feed from the same battery right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
That would cure also the danger of loosing control if the ESC fries and would feed from the same battery right?
Google Dimension Engineering and look up their FAQs and they will explain UBECs. Universal Battery Eliminator Circuits pick up power from the battery and directly power the receiver and servos. You disconnect the internal BEC in the ESC. If the ESC fails you still have flight control. Plus, the heat of stepping down the voltage from the lipo (11.1 volts) to the Receiver (5 volts) is NOT in the ESC. Plus, the UBEC uses a more efficient way of stepping down the voltage (switchmode).
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:04 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Read Prof100 - +1
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,348 Posts
I did.. thanks!

On the Dimension Engineering products i see their SBEC is 1-1.5A and says "6 4-9g servos or 4 standard ones) is that correct? Because i think i readed here somewhere than the 2A BEC of the ESC was just enough to power the 4 9g servos but no more...
Or its because the ESC BEC is linear and the other is switching?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
I did.. thanks!

On the Dimension Engineering products i see their SBEC is 1-1.5A and says "6 4-9g servos or 4 standard ones) is that correct? Because i think i readed here somewhere than the 2A BEC of the ESC was just enough to power the 4 9g servos but no more...
I don't know the answer to that, it does seem a push to put 6 servos on any 1.5A supply though.

This speed control that I currently use, has a built in 4A switching BEC, avoids having extra cables and weight.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
I did.. thanks!

First, the inexpensive ESCs come with high heat generating linear BECs. Higher end ESCs usually come with switchmode BECs. The UBECs Dimension Engineering sells are switchmode BECs. The SBEC will handle six 4-9 gram analog servos just fine.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member