Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:34 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Thanks...

any ideas of what it is compared to the stock CF motor?

Actually .. after the experience with the Aeronaut 9X4 vs the Chinese ACME 9X5 prop (in short: ACME prop broke free.. snaped one motor shaft, had one bad nut wich had to be replaced and loosed one blade in flight) wich pulled more amps and so it seems that generates more speed/thrust.. im thinking in buying a brand 6X4 rather than a chinese HK one.. maybe it will show difference there
If this was a folding prop beware that most folding props are for low RPM motors (say 8000RPM), which the CF motor (say 19000RPM) is not.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:11 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Just another data point on electronics...

I bought my "receiver ready" ARF Floater Jet in 2009 back when they came with 20a ESC's. The ESC eventually failed. Also, over time several motor magnets came loose and had to be reglued. All four original servos still work fine over a hundred flights (high speed, low speed, stunts, etc.) later. YMMV.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:41 AM
France, Bourgogne, Saint-Léger-sur-Dheune
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcclure440 View Post
Just got a #11 key chain camera a week ago...

Wondering where you mounted it on the AXN..Right on top of the nose?..and by the way great video and even greater flying...
hi
Yes, on top in front of canopy with simply tape, a little bit of foam under for vibration
cocorico71 is offline Find More Posts by cocorico71
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Just another data point on electronics...

I bought my "receiver ready" ARF Floater Jet in 2009 back when they came with 20a ESC's. The ESC eventually failed. Also, over time several motor magnets came loose and had to be reglued. All four original servos still work fine over a hundred flights (high speed, low speed, stunts, etc.) later. YMMV.
Let me add to that...

There were a total of 3 ARF Floater Jets complete with servos, motors, and ESC's bought in our club around that time. All twelve of the servos are still running fine although 2 servos came loose (elevator on one plane and an aileron on another) and had to be remounted. YMMV.

The ESC eventually failed on each one. Motor magnets came loose and were reglued on two of the three motors. I know this because I own one, I do the maintenance on another, and the third belongs to a good friend who sold it to another good friend.

I estimate 150, 150, and 60 flights on the airplanes.

Cliff
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,359 Posts
Quote:
If this was a folding prop beware that most folding props are for low RPM motors (say 8000RPM), which the CF motor (say 19000RPM) is not.

No..on the CF i would use standard fix props...

My example with the folding was that i first used in another plane a chinese ebay 9X5 folding prop.. wich gave a lot of problems and it put a load of arround 25/27A ... then when one of the blades went missing in mid flight i bought locally an Aeronaut (brand) 9X4 folding prop wich should put less load (same diameter less pitch) but to my surprise it put 31A..

Then some people here said that they were getting more thrust with some brand props than with HK or ebay cheap ones on the same size/pitch
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
I just joined the club and ordered a ARF from HK USA warehouse. $61 delivered to my home in Michigan.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I just joined the club and ordered a ARF from HK USA warehouse. $61 delivered to my home in Michigan.
I know you have a lot of HXT900's in stock. You will need them. The failure rate on the CF's built in the last 6-8mos is through the roof. But, since it is you, I would like you to try the plane as is and let us know how long the servos last. Oh. The ESC will have a very short life, too. So, no FPV. One other thing is the magnets in the motor will come loose fairly quickly, too. When they do, just put them back in with a drop of CA to hold them in place.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I know you have a lot of HXT900's in stock. You will need them. The failure rate on the CF's built in the last 6-8mos is through the roof. But, since it is you, I would like you to try the plane as is and let us know how long the servos last. Oh. The ESC will have a very short life, too. So, no FPV. One other thing is the magnets in the motor will come loose fairly quickly, too. When they do, just put them back in with a drop of CA to hold them in place.
AJ
AJ,

This plane is a candidate for a Microdan, HXT900s and Hobbywing ESC.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

This plane is a candidate for a Microdan, HXT900s and Hobbywing ESC.

Bill
As you know, we both have plenty of those.
AJ
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Say , what is the " Bixler " HK advertises above the thread ?? a spin off of this one

..........te
Tom,
I'm selling one basically identical. Look here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466869
04rdking is offline Find More Posts by 04rdking
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rdking View Post
Tom,
I'm selling one basically identical. Look here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466869
Since I own both, I can categorically say that the Hawk Sky is very different that the Clouds Fly. In fact, the HS is a very poor imitation of the Clouds fly. The tip stalls are horrible to say the least. And, the glide is about 1/2 as good as the CF and flight times are about as poor, too. I got one before the CF came out and I loved it. After getting the CF, EZ*, and the Sky Surfer, the HS sits on the junk pile. Anyone who wants it can have it for $20 + the cost of shipping. It has some dents, but never crashed.
AJ
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Since I own both, I can categorically say that the Hawk Sky is very different that the Clouds Fly. In fact, the HS is a very poor imitation of the Clouds fly. The tip stalls are horrible to say the least. And, the glide is about 1/2 as good as the CF and flight times are about as poor, too. I got one before the CF came out and I loved it. After getting the CF, EZ*, and the Sky Surfer, the HS sits on the junk pile. Anyone who wants it can have it for $20 + the cost of shipping. It has some dents, but never crashed.
AJ
Gee thanks AJ..... I was comparing it to the Bixler which Tom asked about...
04rdking is offline Find More Posts by 04rdking
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Even the newer 25a ESC's?

The old 20a ESC's averaged 1 (wrong prop) to 100 flights over the four CF/FJ's I have personally watched the lives of. There is one with low time (60 flights?) that is still alive.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rdking View Post
Gee thanks AJ..... I was comparing it to the Bixler which Tom asked about...
Ah, got it. The Bixler/Sky Surfer is HERE if anyone is interested. It is popular and moves fast.
AJ
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Even the newer 25a ESC's?

The old 20a ESC's averaged 1 (wrong prop) to 100 flights over the four CF/FJ's I have personally watched the lives of. There is one with low time (60 flights?) that is still alive.
Ah, right. If the new ones are coming with a 25A ESC, then I don't have the stats on them.
AJ