HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 05:53 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metRo_ View Post
this http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=749 is the same as http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8359 but without the servos?!

I'll buy my charger soon at hobbyking, do i need buy any connectors?
This is handy to charge LiPos with the small plugs, Deans, transmitters etc. If you use the yellow LiPo plugs there are spare leads to solder them on.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6697

This is handy if wanting to charge from a cigarette lighter in the field. READ THE WARNING if you buy it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8819

These are handy to help stop burning down your house or vehicle. Metal boxes are better and I use large metal cash tins.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4364

See what others recommend.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porqui View Post
I just love it - this plane is a FLOATER - jet (where the jet comes from I don't know) and you want it for VERTICAL flight.
It can go fast, but is not a jet. This is a 2.5m hotliner with a turbine on it - now that's a jet!

Turbine Hotliner (0 min 25 sec)
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old May 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,316 Posts
The "-JET" is quite flamboyant from the part of AXN, but its certainly faster than the rest of their siblings in this cathegory
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:43 AM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
I went 122 mk/h
AXN Resurected (3 min 48 sec)
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:45 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Managed to better your speed, 176kph. Logged on a small gps unit in the fuse.
Name: AXN SPEED.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 118.5 KB
Description:

Had a close call during that flight though, the neck strap on my dx6i was hanging down and my son caught it by accident, looked at him, full throttle straight down, looked back at the plane with the motor now screaming and it was going straight down. Disappeared from view as the playing fields where we fly are terraced. Instantly gave it full up elevator,only to see it rise vertically into view. G force broke the cocktail sticks which anchor the camera. Lucky escape

Will post the video when it finishes uploading to youtube
AXN Near Crash (1 min 48 sec)
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Last edited by omegamanuk; Jun 01, 2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Youtube link added
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
not pretty....

Yesterday took the maiden flight. After 2 nose dive launches, which required some glue and tape to repair. I unplugged the ailerons. I think on the 2nd launch, when I gave it elevator, I also gave it right aileron...... Anyway, third launch attempt. Plane went up.... then plane started going down. Several attempts to save it....... Spiraled into the ground. Removed part of the nose, broke the fuse behind the motor and smooshed the Lipo.........

I have the CG right in the center of the spar. This thing still seems nose heavy to me, and my neighbor.

Maybe I need something simplier to fly..... Or maybe I'm just all thumbs....
04rdking is offline Find More Posts by 04rdking
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:48 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rdking View Post
Yesterday took the maiden flight. After 2 nose dive launches, which required some glue and tape to repair. I unplugged the ailerons. I think on the 2nd launch, when I gave it elevator, I also gave it right aileron...... Anyway, third launch attempt. Plane went up.... then plane started going down. Several attempts to save it....... Spiraled into the ground. Removed part of the nose, broke the fuse behind the motor and smooshed the Lipo.........

I have the CG right in the center of the spar. This thing still seems nose heavy to me, and my neighbor.

Maybe I need something simplier to fly..... Or maybe I'm just all thumbs....
We had the same problem starting out with the AXN as our first plane, golden rule is always take off and land into the wind, works for me anyway.
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegamanuk View Post
We had the same problem starting out with the AXN as our first plane, golden rule is always take off and land into the wind, works for me anyway.
There was basically no wind, but what little there was, took off into it. Got more glue and tape on it now. Will try again after work if the wind is calm.

My neighbor has a Radian. That thing takes off in the air with just the lightest hand launch. Unlike the AXN, which wants to nose dive into the ground.....
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Give it some up elevator trim when you launch and be sure to give it a good chuck at a nice angle. Launch with 3/4 throttle to get the airspeed up. The nose dive is what it does when it stalls out.

Mine is also nose heavy, but flies much better that way.

Other than that maybe you horiz stabilizer was glued on at an angle or something?
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
My engine mount came off during a flight and seemed to take out the ESC?? Replaced with a 30amp RC-EXceed and it fried after a few minutes. Will try one more, different brand, but I thinking the motor may be burned and pulling too much current.

I got about 20 + flights out this setup and this was one of my favorite planes..have a lot.. This thing sounded like a jet, extremely fast and had practically unlimited veritical pull. I ran this glider usually at full throttle for most of the flights with a 2200mah...so I have no complaints at all with this plane!

Trying to find a replacement motor and ordered five 2409-12T but I'm not sure they will ever come in. I also found this motor and ordered a few to test out..
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-hawk007.html It seems like it could be a good replacement motor but the specs are hard to find. From what I have found it pulls 200 watts with the 5x5 so it may be close to the original. It is a replacement for the Shy-Hawk glider. Anyone using this on a Clouds Fly??
gp1200x is offline Find More Posts by gp1200x
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:03 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rdking View Post
There was basically no wind, but what little there was, took off into it. Got more glue and tape on it now. Will try again after work if the wind is calm.

My neighbor has a Radian. That thing takes off in the air with just the lightest hand launch. Unlike the AXN, which wants to nose dive into the ground.....
Being an old bugger we used to and still do test glides of the plane first without the motor at all. You need to trim it before it will fly properly.

The young ones these days get away with throwing them up in the air with a good amount of motor on but if you are learning and the plane is not trimmed properly you may get a disaster.

I put my thumb under the up elevator stick when throwing it and can let it go quickly if necessary. You do not need too much.

Then a short run and throw it HARD directly at the horizon NEVER UP. Get someone to throw it so you have your hands on the controls for quick changes but you will have to tell the person 3 times to throw it hard at the horizon or they will throw it up.

A little bit of wind gets the air speed up easier but you MUST throw directly into the wind. If you throw it at the horizon and there is a bit of wind the plane will even rise quite a bit but always KEEP THE PLANE LEVEL. If you are stalling it when throwing with the motor off you are not keeping the nose down enough.

The video shows how I throw it with the power off and after a couple of seconds turn the motor on but watch if you put the motor on hard the plane will dip a bit just do everything smoothly. (Easier said than done - Ha Ha) The video is an EasyStar but I can not find the same one I did with the CF. Turn the volume up full and you can hear when I put on power.

RC Plane Motor Off Launch.avi (0 min 14 sec)

Long grass helps and a slight slope down is also good if you have it.

But really test glide it first without the motor on. I can throw it all day without the motor on and not damage it and you should get less damage. If it dives to the left make sure the rudder is straight and turn the ailerons the other way until it flies straight. Do the same with the elevator so it does not dive into the ground but make sure you do not put in too much up elevator or it will go up too much and stall and crash when you turn the motor on. When test gliding just pull in the elevator a bit yourself as the airspeed is not as much as when the motor is on.

Have fun.

EDIT: Usually people come back after flying it and say the ailerons do not do much. This is because they do not keep the nose down enough on light power and if you do not watch it the plane will stall and fall out of the sky.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 01, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp1200x View Post
My engine mount came off during a flight and seemed to take out the ESC?? Replaced with a 30amp RC-EXceed and it fried after a few minutes. Will try one more, different brand, but I thinking the motor may be burned and pulling too much current.

I got about 20 + flights out this setup and this was one of my favorite planes..have a lot.. This thing sounded like a jet, extremely fast and had practically unlimited veritical pull. I ran this glider usually at full throttle for most of the flights with a 2200mah...so I have no complaints at all with this plane!

Trying to find a replacement motor and ordered five 2409-12T but I'm not sure they will ever come in. I also found this motor and ordered a few to test out..
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-hawk007.html It seems like it could be a good replacement motor but the specs are hard to find. From what I have found it pulls 200 watts with the 5x5 so it may be close to the original. It is a replacement for the Shy-Hawk glider. Anyone using this on a Clouds Fly??

Tried a new ESC and the motor burned after a minute or two of flight time so it was going bad - at least I did not fry another $20 ESC. Ordered a bunch of other motors to test as well.

Found this site on the web which was excellent resource for the Clouds Fly.

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
gp1200x is offline Find More Posts by gp1200x
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:40 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegamanuk View Post
Managed to better your speed, 176kph. Logged on a small gps unit in the fuse.
That's fast! Is it a stock setup, or did you modify?

I have measured my modified AXN at a bit over 100mph, GPS, Doppler, Radar. There's a few videos of some fast runs back a bit. I consistently get lower results with the GPS logger, one sample point per second, that's because it measures speed by calculating time from one point to the next, and unless the points are in a long straight line you can get low result. On the other hand an occasional high speed might be recorded if the distance between the points is measured longer than reality due to GPS error.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:18 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
EDIT: Usually people come back after flying it and say the ailerons do not do much. This is because they do not keep the nose down enough on light power and if you do not watch it the plane will stall and fall out of the sky.
Tell me about it. After glueing and tapeing everything, I was able to get it in the air today. All was well until about the 3 minute mark. The CF kept climbing even with me trying to get it down. I lowered the throttle, gave some right rudder, and she dropped like a rock. Nose first into the ground. The fuse is almost unrepairable. I think I can glue and tape her back together. The motor housing was also ripped almost off. The Lipo is very smooshed. It's in a Lipo bag on the driveway. What/how should I do with the Lipo? It is my most concern. Don't want/need any fires

I'm going to try to repair this the best I can and keep trying. My neighbor says to get a Radian. I don't want to crash one of those either. I may go with one of the 10 dollar Air Hog gliders and use the parts from the CF to make a "cheap" trainer.......

I can ride my Hog, but apparently can't fly a RC plane......
Last edited by 04rdking; Jun 01, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:22 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Long grass helps and a slight slope down is also good if you have it.
Have both......