HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:25 AM
London U.K
Joined Jan 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
The profile does look like it might be a direct bolt-on for the Clouds Fly.
I doubt it will swing a 8x4 prop very well or very long on 3s. Probably a 6x4 on 3s.
It has no prop saver studs on it.
The price is right.
It would be nice to have some indication of max current capacity.
Ive moded mine now with the 2200kv giant cod motor so im not gonna get one to try it. It would be nice to know though

anyone gonna try one???
mookieman is offline Find More Posts by mookieman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
I have tried both 20c and 35c stock motor/esc didnt notice any difference, when flying the CF.
saufett is offline Find More Posts by saufett
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:13 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
As the HK Minimoa has a lot of problems, I have been saying on the Minimoa forum to sell it and buy a AXN Floater.

I have only had a few flights with my Floater and totally pleased with it.

I have looked back on this forum but apart from the odd motor, servo and ESC problems are they the main problems with the Floater.

Just wondered if the Floater is actually as good as I have been saying, as to date mine is brilliant.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:04 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
All I was saying my ElleBee went quite a bit faster with the 40C and the 30C LiPo I tried was perfect. The motor may not last long at full speed.
The general rule is that amps are pulled from the battery, while volts are pushed. The higher C battery will allow more power to be pulled from a given system but only to the extent that the system calls for it. You can pull more amps with a stronger prop (pitch, dia) for example.

To go faster, one way is add more cells. I have tested 4S on my rig, it goes about 60A WOT with my old 6x6 3blade. I'm waiting for ideal conditions before flying that way.

BTW, I flew a 2m sailplane yesterday, powered by one of these. It's also 40C, but only 1000mah. The idea is to keep weight down to minimum. It can still pull 40A - quite remarkable advances in battery technology! The weight shown is wrong - it's just over 100g
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Mar 03, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:32 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saufett View Post
I have tried both 20c and 35c stock motor/esc didnt notice any difference, when flying the CF.
I have only noticed the difference between 30c and 40c but I did try a 20c and 40c on the Floater last night and the difference in readings was a little but not as much as my ElleBee.

Looks like I almost concede that a properly matched system it does only make a marginal difference so I need to go back and see why there was a big difference in the ElleBee. Basically it must be the type of motor I was using that was allowing this but at 62amps obviously the motor will smoke fairly fast.

I like planes to go fast so the main reason I got the 40c LiPos was as my 30c ones were blowing up in size. So I was overloading the LiPos but now with the 40c I am overloading the motors on badly matched systems.
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 03, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:45 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The general rule is that amps are pulled from the battery, while volts are pushed. The higher C battery will allow more power to be pulled from a given system but only to the extent that the system calls for it. You can pull more amps with a stronger prop (pitch, dia) for example.

To go faster, one way is add more cells. I have tested 4S on my rig, it goes about 60A WOT with my old 6x6 3blade. I'm waiting for ideal conditions before flying that way.

BTW, I flew a 2m sailplane yesterday, powered by one of these. It's also 40C, but only 1000mah. The idea is to keep weight down to minimum. It can still pull 40A - quite remarkable advances in battery technology! The weight shown is wrong - it's just over 100g
Thanks for the explanation - I just mentioned I was pulling way more amps on the ElleBee with the same prop/setup so I'll go back and see why soon. Basically a badly matched system I suspect.

Looks like you have had a Floater for a while so could you comment on my post above 6018.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:19 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,546 Posts
Quote:
As the HK Minimoa has a lot of problems, I have been saying on the Minimoa forum to sell it and buy a AXN Floater.

I have only had a few flights with my Floater and totally pleased with it.

I have looked back on this forum but apart from the odd motor, servo and ESC problems are they the main problems with the Floater.

Just wondered if the Floater is actually as good as I have been saying, as to date mine is brilliant.
You guys seem to be getting a lot of ordinary weather in Brissy lately.
... but, Yes. The Floater /CF is as good as you think it is but what you do with it is going to make the difference. Mine ploughed into the turf from 200 + feet when I lost it in low cloud ... too far away too much downwind ... still repairable and soon to be working. I have some footage from the onboard I might put together a video of my CF exploits thus far.
Overall I'm loving it.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:21 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Looks like you have had a Floater for a while so could you comment on my post above 6018.
It's a very versatile plane. I have tried quite a few setups on it and it all works! It's good for training, even fast flying like a pylon racer. If things start to get out of control, you can back off and float around a bit. The wing is beautiful, best foam wing out there that I know.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:58 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
You guys seem to be getting a lot of ordinary weather in Brissy lately.
... but, Yes. The Floater /CF is as good as you think it is but what you do with it is going to make the difference. Mine ploughed into the turf from 200 + feet when I lost it in low cloud ... too far away too much downwind ... still repairable and soon to be working. I have some footage from the onboard I might put together a video of my CF exploits thus far.
Overall I'm loving it.
Yeh the weather has been bad for a long time and you can only get a few days flying in here and there. If it is not like today rainy it is blowing a gale.

Sounds like a great plane and it is a pity I did not get it a long time ago. I should not have gotten and put so much time into the Minimoa and I still have problems just flying it. Everyone buys it because it looks good.

Any video would be interesting.

Thanks for confirming the Floater is great.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:04 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
It's a very versatile plane. I have tried quite a few setups on it and it all works! It's good for training, even fast flying like a pylon racer. If things start to get out of control, you can back off and float around a bit. The wing is beautiful, best foam wing out there that I know.
Looks like you blokes mainly talk about changing props to get it going better. With the Minimoa they talk all day about just getting it going. LOL

I just finished a EasyGlider and an EasyStar but it was a lot of work. I wish I just bought a couple of the Floaters. Also I spent $70 on motors for each of them which is more than the cost of the Floater.

Someone I know has put the FPV gear on a Floater and he flies it well. I'll try it soon and see how it goes.

Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:22 AM
Spinning along
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
450 Posts
My AXN has arrived

Any tips for putting it together? I have some 2200mah batteries ready to go as well.
nsx_23 is offline Find More Posts by nsx_23
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:12 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx_23 View Post
My AXN has arrived

Any tips for putting it together? I have some 2200mah batteries ready to go as well.
Use blue thread lock ...

Seriously there are a number of lists in this thread which are very good. the 2200 balance it really well ... buy some DuBro Ez-Link for the elevator and rudder linkages because you can't easily get em off if you leave them stock. Oh and at PP don't fly into cloud past the tree ... you lose your AXN in the softball field!! I will look up the links on the other computer for build tips when I get to it ... built and crashed mine twice so am starting to know what is required. .... I put the esc back further in the fuselage behind the servos to allow me to use the 2200's and a camera... Make sure to take te motor out and glue the magnets ... I didn't because I thought mine woldn't need it ... I was wrong.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Last edited by mutha; Mar 04, 2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:51 AM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Make sure to take te motor out and glue the magnets ... I didn't because I thought mine woldn't need it ... I was wrong.
I suggest you not take anything apart unless you need to. Check to make sure the magnets are secure and go fly. If one comes loose, then you can fix it. I've had many flights on my motor and no problems with magnets (make sure prop is balanced)
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:51 PM
ivc
helixpteron
Japan, Osaka Prefecture, Osaka
Joined Aug 2008
29 Posts
I'm trying to put together a current glue reference, what fits for what kind of job.

glues:
- Polyurethane (PU) - Light, foams, some filler, humidity activated, slow curing - Best for fixing any type of foam, deep cracks
-- Gorilla Glue Quick Cure, Loctite SUMO (less foam)
- Cyanoacrylate (CA) - Flows into cracks, brittle - Fasten plastic parts together, e.g. servo horns, sizing ring propeller, carbon fiber rod to foam
-- Super Glue, Krazy Glue
- Epoxy - Structual, filler - Any structure, undercarriage, fpv camera mount
-- Various curing time and brands available
- Contact adhesive - Flexible, sticky
-- Shoe Goo, Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo
- Silicone adhesive - Flexible - Mount plastic to foam, e.g. motor mount to foam
-- Loctite, Liquid Nails
- Hot glue - Heavy, could melt foam - Fasten plastic to foam, e.g. position servos or plastic motor mount
-- Try thin, medium warm glue

Ideas?
ivc is offline Find More Posts by ivc
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:11 PM
bkx
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Several questions.

I just got my AXN, put it together, and am waiting for a clear day to fly. I tested it on the bench, and the motor is making a lot of vibration so I want to epoxy in the magnets. I am having trouble disassembling the motor though. I took off the prop saver and tried pulling, although the outer shell of the motor does not come off even with significant force. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there a good way to change the positions of the control horns? I put all of the rods into the outermost holes, and now find that they are hard to remove.

Thanks!
bkx is offline Find More Posts by bkx