HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:38 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Using original Motor, original prop, my own ESC...balanced perfectly with 2200 battery, no extra weight...floats nicely, and with maxed out ailerons, can roll in a few seconds, if I add rudder, snap rolls nicely. Flies fast for what is it. Don't forget it's a cheap glider...not a rocket ship.

I'd say get a lighter motor like the original, figure out why yours is tail heavy and remove extra weight.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:41 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotor View Post
Maiden flight of my AXN Cloud today and I was somewhat disappointed in the performance.
The ailerons appear to have very little authority whilst the rudder and elevator are fine. A full deflection aileron roll took about 10 seconds. I am reluctant to increase the aileron movement (12mm each way) due to the obvious increase in drag.
I am using a 2300mAH 3 cell Lipo + 20g of nose weight to get the balance correct. The original motor and esc went up in smoke when powered up for the first and only time so I have replaced the motor with a more powerful one - EMAX 2812 1500kV. It's about 20g heavier but should have considerably more power. It too was disappointing as the model didn't really fly that fast and lost height rapidly with the power off.
I am a fairly experienced flyer recent models being Multiplex Twinstar (with brushless) and Multiplex Merlin. The Twinstar flies a whole lot better (faster, slower, more maneouverable) than the Cloud. Any suggestions on improvements to the Cloud's performance?
The stock motor is 2100KV or 2200KV. If you used the stock prop on a 1500KV motor, you would have poor performance. The problem is that a 6.5 inch prop touches the fuselage so that is as big as you can go. A 7x5 or 7x6 cut down to 6 or 6.5 and balanced should be about right. (and make sure it is put on in the right direction, if you are uncertain, try it both ways).

My stock motor goes straight up unlimited with a master airscrew 6x3.5 prop and a 2200 3 cell when the battery is still "top charge".

As I recall, I went to 120% throw on the transmitter on the ailerons and mixed in about 25% rudder for faster rolls.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Me too ... ~

I 2nd maidened my AXN CF/Floater 2 days ago. ~

I made sure of the surface throws (elevator needed to be reversed thus 2nd maiden ... ) ~

I tried a landing pass and nearly lost it with a slow low turn ... so it will tip stall, ~

I thought I would try a straight aileron roll ... popped out the spa cover with wing flex (damn foam safe CA!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
~
Time spent on an RC flight simulator is worth it's weight in gold. [Amen!]

It is good to fly smoothly and gently, keeping the wings within 30 degrees of level and the nose within 15 degrees up or down. If you use small amounts of control, you can catch yourself if you accidentally go the wrong way.
~
All control surfaces should be perfectly neutral with radio turned on. Then trim a little up elevator with the transmitter trim.

All control directions set correctly! [Where were you 5 days ago!! ]
~
Make sure the prop is on in the correct direction (lettering toward front of AIRPLANE) with correctly sized size prop adapter ring glued into the prop. Glue that came with the airplane will probably work better than anything else. It is a pain, but you will have to modify a prop adapter ring. Of the several you get, one is a little too big and another is a little too small. Discard the rest. You can either carefully drill out the small one a little or squish (pancake flatten) the big one with pliers a little.[Took me ages to work this out - again where were you!! lol]
~~~
Good luck! Please get someone to video the whole thing and post it here for us to see!

This turned into a short book, but it is worth understanding these details.

Cliff
Cliff your short book is absolutely Gold for anyone starting out with one of these planes (also in general!).

Thank you for your contribution takes time and effort to write so much
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
The stock motor is 2100KV or 2200KV. If you used the stock prop on a 1500KV motor, you would have poor performance. The problem is that a 6.5 inch prop touches the fuselage so that is as big as you can go. A 7x5 or 7x6 cut down to 6 or 6.5 and balanced should be about right.
I cut a 8x6 3 blade prop to 6x6 with a FC 2812 motor, worked ok. It's the setup I posted here.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Took the CF out for maiden today, WOW

The first throw went pretty straight to the ground, (combination of too weak throw and too little throttle) second try the CF soared into the sky almost

The flying itself went pretty ok, glad I have flown helis and using the simulator first. Landing was a little hard but no damage. So charging batterys now heading out soon if the weather is on my side today.

Thanx again for all the help and inputs from you
saufett is offline Find More Posts by saufett
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
Now im tempted in trying the 6X5 prop ...

One question guys.. latelly my CF has began developing some strange like "sandy" noise in the motor.. like if its vibrating or very slightly brushing something.. all magnets are ok in place .. yesterday i changed the 5X5 with the adapted 6X4 and same thing.. tried without the propeller and didnt seeem to ear nothing ..tought extrangelly when i holded the motor pod some extrainge loud "BIP" noise came from the motor... still the plane still goes plenty fast and batterys last the same as 10 months ago ....

Maybe im just too paranoid with sounds
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Sounds like the bearings on it are failing...do you have original motor?
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
Sounds like the bearings on it are failing...do you have original motor?
Yeap .. 10 months old now.. but still i guess my motor doesnt have as many flight hours as many guys here who still use it..

So how much long do i have doctor?

Oddly.. my HBZ Champion's motor died the other day.. i allready replaced.. it began with not starting unless you pused it manually (and then it went well) and folks here pointed that that was the beginning of the end ..tought some of them had it doing it for months before total failure...
sure enought mine died with 2 flights after developing first simptons .. but its been allreadt replaced by an more powerfull unit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:19 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
CF Stock motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Yeap .. 10 months old now.. but still i guess my motor doesnt have as many flight hours as many guys here who still use it..

So hoy much long do i have doctor?
I have 150+ flights on my CF stock motor in over a year. Even before the first flight, I CA'd the magnets in the motor. I have experienced zero problems with motor and stock ESC (big surprise). To be fair though, I do not WOT the motor at all. I use the plane for what I need it for -> lazy Sunday afternoon long flight/glide times. It still is one of the first planes to go in my car on a flying day.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:27 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotor View Post
Maiden flight of my AXN Cloud today and I was somewhat disappointed in the performance.
The ailerons appear to have very little authority whilst the rudder and elevator are fine. A full deflection aileron roll took about 10 seconds. I am reluctant to increase the aileron movement (12mm each way) due to the obvious increase in drag.
I am using a 2300mAH 3 cell Lipo + 20g of nose weight to get the balance correct. The original motor and esc went up in smoke when powered up for the first and only time so I have replaced the motor with a more powerful one - EMAX 2812 1500kV. It's about 20g heavier but should have considerably more power. It too was disappointing as the model didn't really fly that fast and lost height rapidly with the power off.
I am a fairly experienced flyer recent models being Multiplex Twinstar (with brushless) and Multiplex Merlin. The Twinstar flies a whole lot better (faster, slower, more maneouverable) than the Cloud. Any suggestions on improvements to the Cloud's performance?
Thanks guys for the various replies.
First off, senior moment confession. My Twinstar performs brilliantly with the same motor, times two of course. Just to be sure about the prop direction I double checked and yes it is mounted the correct way round, with numbers facing forward. But what's this? The numbers aren't the same. Twinstar - 6x5.5. Clouds - 6x4. Oops!
It has been too windy today to try again but next time out the 20g noseweight will be gone. Removing this barely alters the cog. I will also try a smaller battery pack but will be careful not to alter the cog too much. I'll also remove the differential from the ailerons and increase their overall movement.
Here's hoping.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:30 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have 150+ flights on my CF stock motor in over a year. Even before the first flight, I CA'd the magnets in the motor. I have experienced zero problems with motor and stock ESC (big surprise). To be fair though, I do not WOT the motor at all. I use the plane for what I need it for -> lazy Sunday afternoon long flight/glide times. It still is one of the first planes to go in my car on a flying day.
AJ
Yeah.. mine is probably arround 60 flights at most.. and like 25-30% of them at least were slope flying (no motor). also i usually dont use WOT.. but sometimes just for the trills to make a full WOT climb ( wich usually makes people in the stop making coments and understimating this "silly foamy" )

Even so i guess i should buy a prop balancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
More speed (prop size)?

Some questions: Im running 2200MaH batterys and stock propeller.

- If I want more top speed on the CF should I use the 6x4 propeller?
- Will it drain the battery faster using the 6x4?
- Will the speed be noticeably faster?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,360 Posts
I think the 6X4 was not faster.. but produced more thrust..
In my experience i dont note much diference .. even i would say i incline a bit mor for the 5X5 ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:49 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saufett View Post
Some questions: Im running 2200MaH batterys and stock propeller.

- If I want more top speed on the CF should I use the 6x4 propeller?
- Will it drain the battery faster using the 6x4?
- Will the speed be noticeably faster?
The larger prop is what I use on my stock power system, but it will NOT have a faster top speed in level flight. But it WILL have more thrust, so can accelerate a small bit faster and can climb vertically noticeably faster than the stock prop (in-flight tested with my set up flying along side another CFwith stock set-up. And it does have a slightly higher amp draw on the battery. But I fly mostly be climbing rapidly to altitude, then power off gliding around, so this prop is better for that style of flying, I think. I can easily get 25 minutes... a bit more if I stretch it, with a 1300 mAH 3S lipo pack flying this way.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 27, 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The larger prop is what I use on my stock power system, but it will NOT have a faster top speed in level flight. But it WILL have more thrust, so can accelerate a small bit faster and can climb vertically noticeably faster than the storck prop. And it does have a slightly higher amp draw on the battery. But I fly mostly be climbing rapidly to altitude, then power off gliding around, so this prop is better for that style of flying, I think. I can easily get 25 minutes... a bit more if I stretch it, with a 1300 mAH 3S lipo pack flying this way.
Well sounds that a 6x4 will suite me, I also would like to see "faster" climb, and then soar in the sky. I think I might get adicted to the CF
BTW: Do you still use the stock ESC with that 6x4?