Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malm
I have been following this thread for a while and now finally ordered a Cloud Fly along with two gyros (thanks to ajbaker ).

On the discussion about HH gyros on planes; wouldn't HH mode make the plane very very difficult to fly due to the fact that the setpoint of the regulation won't return to neutral when the sticks are released? It would require som serious anticipation skills to make use of an integrating gyro on a fixed wing aircraft.
Hey Malm. Welcome to the thread. It is obvious that you have a fine understanding of gyros. You are spot on about the HH. Since you know all that, I promise you that it will be very easy (and a whole lot of fun) to use the rate gyros. I look forward to your post that you get the plane - get it flying - get it all tuned up - and finally, that you can land it hands off. It is a lot of fun to just lay the transmitter on the ground and watch the gyros land the plane (light or no wind). Cool, very cool. For AP planes, I consider them a "must have" for video clarity. Enjoy, welcome, and please keep us posted of your progress (pics too if you have a cam).

AJ

P.S. I did get an HH working on a Wild Hawk (from Harbor Freight) after many crashes before I figured out how to adjust it and position it. It virtually destroyed the airplane and I ended up throwing it and the HH in the garbage shortly after I got it working. Total waste of time and money. I had EXACTLY the problems you mentioned even when it was working as good as possible.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 19, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
Sweden
Joined Jun 2006
4 Posts
Hey, thanks! I'll update you on my progress, although I can't really make any promises as to keeping it in one piece. My flying experience is, eh... limited

Too bad about that Wild Hawk. I like the don't-know-for-sure-before-I've-tried approach, though! Could have worked out great
Malm is offline Find More Posts by Malm
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
HH gyro

I have several flights using a HH gyro on my Floater Jet with no problem.
I have yet to try spin recovery or hammerheads but for casual flying the HH seems to work fine. Maybe I am missing something. If HH works on a heli why not on a plank?
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc
I have several flights using a HH gyro on my Floater Jet with no problem.
I have yet to try spin recovery or hammerheads but for casual flying the HH seems to work fine. Maybe I am missing something. If HH works on a heli why not on a plank?
Post a picture of the HH in the FJ.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 20, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:10 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
HH Gyro

Quote:
Post a picture of the HH in the FJ.
AJ
My FJ is grounded until I get a BEC installed. I am concerned about the temp. of the ESC after a flight. I will reinstall the gyro.

I have one of the Esky gyros. To use it as a wing leveler, it would have to be mounted with the "can" or cylinder part of the gyro running parallel to the fuse axis, correct? The gyro cylinder in your earlier post is perpindicular to the fuselage axis (the pitch axis). I.e. the axis you wish to control must be concentric with the gyro cylinder?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:45 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gyros

Quote:
My FJ is grounded until I get a BEC installed. I am concerned about the temp. of the ESC after a flight. I will reinstall the gyro.

I have one of the Esky gyros. To use it as a wing leveler, it would have to be mounted with the "can" or cylinder part of the gyro running parallel to the fuse axis, correct? The gyro cylinder in your earlier post is perpindicular to the fuselage axis (the pitch axis). I.e. the axis you wish to control must be concentric with the gyro cylinder?
This one is hard to describe with words. So, here is a picture on both gyros in my EZ*. The one towards the back of the plane is the roll gyro. The other one is the pitch gyro. I guess I could say that the bottom of the gyro is parallel to the axis I want to control. Anyhow, the picture shows the proper orientation of the gyros for pitch and roll. A yaw gyro would be placed under the feet of the pilot and parallel to the bottom of the fuselage. I have not found that a yaw gyro is very useful - very little effect on the yaw control.
AJ
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:32 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Gyro

Quote:
This one is hard to describe with words. So, here is a picture on both gyros in my EZ*.
Yes, that's what I expected to see for the roll axis. My gyro is a Telebee dual mode stuck to the floor of the plane. I don't know if you are aware but there is an extra step involved in setting up a HH gyro. The "position creep" has to be trimmed out. Heli threads abound with HH discussions. Honestly I don't know if the HH will prove to be superior and worth the cost on a plank. They are definitely worth it for a heli.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:11 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's what I expected to see for the roll axis. My gyro is a Telebee dual mode stuck to the floor of the plane. I don't know if you are aware but there is an extra step involved in setting up a HH gyro. The "position creep" has to be trimmed out. Heli threads abound with HH discussions. Honestly I don't know if the HH will prove to be superior and worth the cost on a plank. They are definitely worth it for a heli.
If that gyro is a GR-201 or GR-302, Then it comes ready to handle rate mode and is simple to install and setup for any plane.
AJ
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:23 AM
Eazy does it !!!
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Got here at last !! :-)

Hi everyone. (Waves to Trancer who is not far from me)

I've just read this thread from the start (stopping at page 28 to order a CF from PW-RC) and I just cant wait for it to get here

I've flown an EZ* a dozen times before (about a year ago), but that had to be binned after I went BL and Lipo for the first time and under estimated the difference from stock (or maybe I over estimated my flying skills)

I think the CF will be just what I need to get me going in this great hobby again (getting bored of the sim now)

Having read this thread, I had many questions to ask before the postman arrives. AJ and others have answered most of them but could I ask the following-

Ive never used a Prop saver before and cant understand why the CF needs it. Is it just convenience when it was made at the factory ?
I would like to use a prop adapter (will probably use one of my 6x4E from EZ*) - I presume this would be ok ?

I am interested in this whole gyro thing (will probably use a pitch gyro until I'm confident again) - Is the one Fozzy posted a pitch gyro.....This one

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark
Mark Perry is offline Find More Posts by Mark Perry
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
short Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Hi everyone. (Waves to Trancer who is not far from me)

I've just read this thread from the start (stopping at page 28 to order a CF from PW-RC) and I just cant wait for it to get here

I've flown an EZ* a dozen times before (about a year ago), but that had to be binned after I went BL and Lipo for the first time and under estimated the difference from stock (or maybe I over estimated my flying skills)

I think the CF will be just what I need to get me going in this great hobby again (getting bored of the sim now)

Having read this thread, I had many questions to ask before the postman arrives. AJ and others have answered most of them but could I ask the following-

Ive never used a Prop saver before and cant understand why the CF needs it. Is it just convenience when it was made at the factory ?
I would like to use a prop adapter (will probably use one of my 6x4E from EZ*) - I presume this would be ok ?

I am interested in this whole gyro thing (will probably use a pitch gyro until I'm confident again) - Is the one Fozzy posted a pitch gyro.....This one

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark
Yes, to all the above.
AJ
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
Eazy does it !!!
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Yes, to all the above.
AJ
Thanks AJ - I knew you would be the first to help me out

Next question - Have you covered the belly of you CF with some sort of tape/protection to protect it on landing or does the material of which its made not require this (my old EZ* would have hated me had I not done this)

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Belly cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Thanks AJ - I knew you would be the first to help me out

Next question - Have you covered the belly of you CF with some sort of tape/protection to protect it on landing or does the material of which its made not require this (my old EZ* would have hated me had I not done this)

Cheers,
Mark.
There are many ways to protect the belly. As far as I am concerned, any or them are fine. For me, I use a 1/4" sq. balsa on the bottom with a couple of pieces of tape to hold it on. Once in while, it will need to be replaced. I saw another guy on the EZ* thread that used an old gallon milk jug to line the bottom. I am sure that would last a long time. If you always land in grass, you don't need one at all. So, given the above, it depends a lot on what your flying situation is. Keep us posted on what you choose. We can all use more input on this plane.
AJ
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:39 AM
Eazy does it !!!
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Thanks AJ.
I never thought about using the thin plastic of a milk carton - I might cut some to shape and see how the weight is (sure it wont be much).
Most of my flying (landing) is done at a grass field but sometimes its not available so I go somewhere with a concrete landing area.

Just another quick question - This gyro thingy - does it affect the flying characteristics at all, ie I'm thinking about when loops are performed.

I will indeed keep you posted on my progress - I'm sure I will have many more questions once my CF gets here

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sunny Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
Round plastic circular bits in the kit

I always get worried when there is something in a kit that is left over after assembly. If you are using the kit as stock standard, do you use those different sized black plastic circles that come with the kit? I think they are supposed to be used with the propellor but is that only if you use different propellers to the stock standard one?
cindyandebony is offline Find More Posts by cindyandebony
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
11 Posts
anyone ever considered pontoons under this thing? is the pusher not water take off friendly? ie, pushing the nose into the water? how about w/out pontoons, using the body as a float and small stabilizers under the wings? this is my first, and only plane(s). i have one that's in unfortunate condition from high wind flying near trees, and one that is brand new and not yet built. i'd like to do something different with the rough one... location makes finding fields an issue, and lots of lakes/ponds rivers... (adirondacks of NY...)

otherwise, and other interesting modifications/easy transformations for this thing? i think it'll be a test rig for mods before i change the good one...

also, what's the best answer for keeping the wings attached? i have no problems with gluing, except access to servo connectors. double sided tape didn't work well. i've been using packing tape on the outside (i said it was a beater...)

and any specific techniques for tucking the servo connectors into the wings? i'dl ike to find a better way to do this as i somewhat mangled the beater plane stuffing these together in the field after a few failures.

overall, this is a great plane, that more than one person has picked up with absolutely zero flying experience, and successfully flew and landed. im a happy camper.

-jon
jonmorehouse is offline Find More Posts by jonmorehouse