Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I guess you don't have this motor?
Nope.

Quote:
Yes, the prop saver IS an integral part of the rotor and cannot be removed unless you want to grind or machine it off. And the screws DO help hold the rotor on the shaft... otherwise you rely solely on an interference fit, which I doubt is tight enough to trust.
Press fit of the shaft is normal for most outrunners, but since this one seems to be so unique, I'd follow your advice and not remove the screws!

Quote:
It's possible to reverse the rotation of the brushless motor and use a REAL pusher prop with opposite pitch angle, and the nut will be tightened again. I just bought a matched pair of APC Speed 400 6x4 counter rotating props to use on a twin, but there aren't many choices for reverse true pusher props.

But if a good collet is used and the nut is tightened down well, it should stay tight...mine always have. The problem is some collet adaptors aren't machined well and don't grip the shaft as tight as it could (should), or the nut is nut torqued down tight enough.
Very true, but I don't think the problem is that serious to warrant a pusher prop, especially with the stock motor. When you get to some of the more powerful aftermarket motors, it might become a bit more important make sure the nut is tight, especially during hot weather when the metal expands slightly. I have a similar pusher layout on my [non Clouds Fly] aircraft, and I've taken off before to no thrust and that ZZzzziinnngg!!! sound coming from a slowly spinning propeller with a very fast spinning motor...
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
Ok, i just set up a mix with my 7C, had to do it "manually" since the Aileron->Rudder mix function is an "allways on" mix that cant be turned off.. despite considering that the plane turns great and easy using both rudder and ailerons, im not confortable with a mixture allways on, so i programmed a blanl one mixing 50% of rudder with aileron and asigned to a switch, so i can turn it on/off whenever i want..
Tomorrow's flight (if rain doesnt ruin it, has been raining all week, but the weather service says today that tomorro rain shouldnt be expected) will be quite risky.. it will be the first flight since the canopy flew away and the engine displaced magnets and had to glue them all , also will be using the spinner thing with a 6X3 prop (have also a 6X4, but prefer to start with the easy) for first time, and also the soda-bottle canopy, with so many news its almost like maidem... will be scared until she sits confortable on the sky

BTW: I ordered a new canopy from the Singapore shop, acording to them they had one left...
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Sep 17, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,428 Posts
Diminishing returns!

My new big inrunner is ok, but not more. With the 6x6 3blade it turns at 15000rpm and can cruise at 65mph. With the 7x8 2blade it turns at 13000rpm, which means a pitch speed of not quite 100mph. The plane goes about 80mph however, so I'm thinking there's a lot of drag at work.

Here's a quick flight today, temp is mid 90's so I kept speed runs short - don't want to burn it up!

Clouds Fly 7x8 inrunner2 (2 min 6 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Sep 17, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
Canada, Quebec, Mercier
Joined Dec 2008
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
BTW: I ordered a new canopy from the Singapore shop, acording to them they had one left...
I send them an email same day you did it and they have not answer me yet !
Batch1 is offline Find More Posts by Batch1
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batch1 View Post
I send them an email same day you did it and they have not answer me yet !
I resent the email some days later after not getting any answer and they answered next day...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Canada, Quebec, Mercier
Joined Dec 2008
600 Posts
Quote:
I resent the email some days later after not getting any answer and they answered next day...
Thanks
Batch1 is offline Find More Posts by Batch1
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
What a nice slope day .

And i broke my personal endurance record, 1 hour 55 minutes of continuous flying and i didnt used the engine , except for launch and for a go arround at landing, i didnt used the engine in flight for all the 2 hours..

-The soda canopy holded perfectly, plane flought as good as allways ..

-The mix ailerons->rudder 50% worked wonderfully well.. the plane flies outstanding nice and easy with the mixture.. its perfect for relaxing flight..
Also during final aproach , there were rotors and guts wich affect the plane, but with the mix the plane was easy to control throught those low level turbulence.

-One magnet came loose.. it was the last one non glued, so thats it.. all magnets will be epoxied in.

-6X3 propeller seems to work well.. but since i almost didnt used the engine at all ....

Somehow im having more troubles launching the plane by hand than usuall.. but thats for long time ago
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:19 PM
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
What a nice slope day .

And i broke my personal endurance record, 1 hour 55 minutes of continuous flying and i didnt used the engine , except for launch and for a go arround at landing, i didnt used the engine in flight for all the 2 hours..

-The soda canopy holded perfectly, plane flought as good as allways ..

-The mix ailerons->rudder 50% worked wonderfully well.. the plane flies outstanding nice and easy with the mixture.. its perfect for relaxing flight..
Also during final aproach , there were rotors and guts wich affect the plane, but with the mix the plane was easy to control throught those low level turbulence.

-One magnet came loose.. it was the last one non glued, so thats it.. all magnets will be epoxied in.

-6X3 propeller seems to work well.. but since i almost didnt used the engine at all ....

Somehow im having more troubles launching the plane by hand than usuall.. but thats for long time ago
it's the mix. flip it off for launch, climb out - then flip on the mix. you'll have an easier time of it. the rudder aileron mix makes the plane alot more responsive but adds a little adverse yaw which at altitude is easy to adjust for - but close to the ground... may be tough to stay on top of.
I flip off my mix for takeoff, landing, and high speed passes, and soaring. when I want to fly aerobatics - I flip it on. rudder aileron mix makes the plane FAR more agile, but can be a hand full when trying to fly precisely.
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:10 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
it's the mix..

Not in this case.. today i had the mix off for launch as its the most critical part of the flight and i had no much idea of how the plane was going to respond with the 50% mix i use.
Also i said its a problem im havinf for last ten launches.. the first of the day goes to the ground and i launch ok the next.. but CG is the same.. and propeller was also the same (except today)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:55 AM
Quite New!
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
Hey there guys!

Total RC newbie here and after more hours than I care to remember browsing the virtual highway have settled on an AXN as my first foray into RC flying.

I'm just after some thoughts on the set-up i'm hoping to buy, as far as I can tell everything will work with each other, but just want to double-check before making the leap!

AXN Floater-Jet ARF (w/ 9g servos, brushless motor, ESC) kit
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C LiPo (x2)
HobbyKing 2.4Ghz 6ch Tx + Rx Mode 2
Cheapo set of wheels to make an undercarriage (based on advice from this thread!)

Above from HobbyKing

GT Power A606 charge
GT Power AC Adapter kit
LP-guard LiPo charging bag

Above from GiantCod

In the future I may look to upgrade various things but I think this is a more-or-less safe set-up for my learners package?

Any feedback appreciated!
Nikeleye
Nikeleye is offline Find More Posts by Nikeleye
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I'm going to give you a bit of advice LOL... and if certain people read this, they'll find this hillereous, but whatever.

I was in your shoes not 4 months ago, OK? No RC experience and figured "it can't be that hard" and in many ways I was right.

I asked the same questions you did and EVERYONE told me to go to my local hobby store and get a ParkZone SuperCub. Everyone.

I ignored them.

Now, I learned the hard way what they were talking about.

I'm not saying go get a parkzone supercub because frankly... its an entirely different kind of plane. But go take a look at what they have and what they carry spare parts for and consider it. Add up the cost of what you're buying including shipping and you'll see you save money doing what you're doing. BUT!!! (and this is the big but that didn't get through my head) now add on what it will cost you including shipping to buy parts 2 or 3 times for the first few HARD crashes you'll experience and compare THAT to your local hobby store... you may find it is closer (maybe not).

You will crash it.

you will destroy it!

You will love it

With all that said, the CF (aka AXN floater jet) was my second plane and I love it. I've still crashed it. I've still destroyed it And it is frustrating knowing I can't get parts for it and shipping a new one is so expensive.

But yeah, your parts list looks good. Go nuts friend

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
2 no or knot 2 no!
BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
Hey Steve, I'm from Kelowna, Where do you fly? Todd
tmb55 is offline Find More Posts by tmb55
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:29 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Hey Todd. For the CF I just fly in a local school field when I feel like a quick little flight without travelling. For my larger plane or a better flight, my friend and I found a pot off a logging road on the westside. It takes about 25 mins to get there, but that's better than the 2-3 hours to get to the club site. It is very remote with nothing and nobody nearby.

Steve
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I'm going to give you a bit of advice LOL... and if certain people read this, they'll find this hillereous, but whatever.

I was in your shoes not 4 months ago, OK? No RC experience and figured "it can't be that hard" and in many ways I was right.

I asked the same questions you did and EVERYONE told me to go to my local hobby store and get a ParkZone SuperCub. Everyone.

I ignored them.

Now, I learned the hard way what they were talking about.

I'm not saying go get a parkzone supercub because frankly... its an entirely different kind of plane. But go take a look at what they have and what they carry spare parts for and consider it. Add up the cost of what you're buying including shipping and you'll see you save money doing what you're doing. BUT!!! (and this is the big but that didn't get through my head) now add on what it will cost you including shipping to buy parts 2 or 3 times for the first few HARD crashes you'll experience and compare THAT to your local hobby store... you may find it is closer (maybe not).

You will crash it.

you will destroy it!

You will love it

With all that said, the CF (aka AXN floater jet) was my second plane and I love it. I've still crashed it. I've still destroyed it And it is frustrating knowing I can't get parts for it and shipping a new one is so expensive.

But yeah, your parts list looks good. Go nuts friend

- Steven
--------------

Get an extra receiver, esc and engine, and switch out the original stuff. Unless something fails it seems hard to kill this plane, I even lost both wings in the air 100m up, straight into gravel, killed my receiver and lipo, everything else is still alive, though I swapped the engine for another that can keep its magnets in position without constant regluing.

A supercub will burn out its engine in the first year, and is much less crash resistant with it's engine in the nose. But with its lower flying speed it also has advantages as a beginner-plane of course.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeleye View Post
Hey there guys!

Total RC newbie here and after more hours than I care to remember browsing the virtual highway have settled on an AXN as my first foray into RC flying.

I'm just after some thoughts on the set-up i'm hoping to buy, as far as I can tell everything will work with each other, but just want to double-check before making the leap!

AXN Floater-Jet ARF (w/ 9g servos, brushless motor, ESC) kit
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C LiPo (x2)
HobbyKing 2.4Ghz 6ch Tx + Rx Mode 2
Cheapo set of wheels to make an undercarriage (based on advice from this thread!)

Above from HobbyKing

GT Power A606 charge
GT Power AC Adapter kit
LP-guard LiPo charging bag

Above from GiantCod

In the future I may look to upgrade various things but I think this is a more-or-less safe set-up for my learners package?

Any feedback appreciated!
Nikeleye
I personally think you've selected a good plane for your first one. The pusher style prop will keep you flying, whereas a tractor front mounted prop type will ground you everytime you errr.... do not land it correctly.

Word of advice, forget the landing gear, not necessary. Just put clear packing tape underneath the fuselage for protection during landings. In fact I put tape all over the nose and wings. It stiffens and gives a monoque type rigidity and strength to the structure. This will make it able to absorb the "hard" impacts.

I found this the most flyable and post crash flyable of my two aircraft I had. The other was a tractor, front engine and prop mounted. I spent a lot of time fixing the damage on the front mount engine/prop to be able to fly again. Whereas the CF just kept going back up!
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus