HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:36 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Possibly a way to flatten the wing out would be to lay a wet towel on it then iron the towel. That way it never gets above boiling temperature. That's how they get dents out of bagged DLG wings.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:07 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycruiser View Post
Possibly a way to flatten the wing out would be to lay a wet towel on it then iron the towel. That way it never gets above boiling temperature. That's how they get dents out of bagged DLG wings.
I used a monokote iron very carefully on a Multiplex Fox wing, took out most of the curve, then put tape to hold. If both end are not identical, there's potential for tip stalls for sure. Without the curve the tip is weaker IMO

Note to Snuff - the weight forward shafts are way more expensive, about $10 each, if I wanted it stronger in the center part I would slide in another smaller piece of CF tube, and glue it in. Waiting for video and speed estimate!!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:15 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,252 Posts
Anyone tought of enlarging the ailerons? One of the biggest problems of this bird is the small and near to fuselage placed ailerons resulting in lazy ailerons..

I tought of a possible mod:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6021/ailerons.jpg

Any toughts?
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:43 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Anyone tought of enlarging the ailerons? One of the biggest problems of this bird is the small and near to fuselage placed ailerons resulting in lazy ailerons..

I tought of a possible mod:

<PICTURED CLIPPED>

Any toughts?
A guy who also flies a CF where I fly has added about 1/2 to 3/4 in. extensions to the TE of the existing ailerons. It rolls MUCH better, but the clean lines are interrupted. It would be interesting to see how your mod would do.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:37 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
I was having a look at mine in the weekend with the same thought. What I'm going to do is glue some tri stock balsa (balsa? What's that?) into the bevelled aileron cutout on the underside of the wing, effectively incorporating the aileron back into the wing. Then I can recut it with a bigger chord/span.

That said, mixing rudder in with aileron increases roll rate enormously. I'm quite happy doing four consecutive rolls before I start running out of sky. They're a little barrelly, but while it has the tip dihedral you're never going to get axial rolls anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:28 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,252 Posts
Do you mix the rudder in the same durection as the roll or oposite?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Same direction. Max aileron gives about 20mm each way on rudder. I would say more than 360 deg roll per second.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,252 Posts
And how much % did you mixed in? To have a reference.. i may test that ... also i can program the mix with a switch to enable or dissable it
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
I've got 60% mixed in, but it depends on how much movement you've got set up geometrically. I really need to do some test flying to balance aileron differential with rudder mix.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:47 AM
Unlimited FPV
Latvia, Riga
Joined Jun 2010
229 Posts
My Axn floater yesterdays crash....
AXN FLOATER public area crash. (with happy end) (8 min 9 sec)

My first crash over public areas, damn i scared a lot coz never know where it will land!! Lost signal control maybe because of cheap radio Turnigy 9x found it after 10 minues some guy took it and brought in his angar i guess he was waiting for me (u can see him on video he is picking it from ground) also he cut out the motor wires so sound from motor stopped Check it out!
ganapati08 is offline Find More Posts by ganapati08
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
My FPV Easystar crashed in a public place the other day with a bunch of cars and people 20 feet from the crash location. I tried to hurry up and put all my video equip i the back of my truck and run over there to recover it. When I pulled up a couple of guys had recovered it out of the road and were holding it for me. I was so nervous that I hit someone or theyre car but everyone thought it was the coolest thing to see this plane smack into the ground. Anyways, im not really sure how I would react if someone decided to try and keep or mess with my downed plane. Im not sure if they have the right to do anything with it if it lands on theyre property, but they should give it back if they dont want any trouble.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
If you go in with that kind of attitude, you're more likely to lose it But legally... if your property lands on their property and you go to retrieve it and they won't give it to you... that's theft. You are liable for any damage, of course, and may end up on trespass charges depending on the circumstances so it might not be worth the effort... but the goods are still your goods and yes, they have to give them back. That old man that keeps the kids soccer ball because it goes over the fence... breaking the law.

If they won't give it back, call the police. If you might get in trouble for what you were doing... think twice before dialing

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I used a monokote iron very carefully on a Multiplex Fox wing, took out most of the curve, then put tape to hold. If both end are not identical, there's potential for tip stalls for sure. Without the curve the tip is weaker IMO

Note to Snuff - the weight forward shafts are way more expensive, about $10 each, if I wanted it stronger in the center part I would slide in another smaller piece of CF tube, and glue it in. Waiting for video and speed estimate!!

working on getting a good vid - today we tried my friend's High rez 1080p cam... problem is it's a wide angle setup - hard to make a pass at max power close enough to do the setup justice - also he had his underwater housing on the cam. so no sound
what I did get today on video is just a speck that has a REDONKULOUS rate of climb for an "aileron trainer"
might try again soon without the housing, and I'll set up some ultra low rates to stay stable in close and try to get some passes in close enough to showcase the setup. As is, The plane is now about as fast at the airframe should go without additional carbon and fiberglass reenforcement. I intentionally decided against reenforcement to retain the airframe's good low speed handling and float. Just DON'T try to crank it around at full power if you wanna land with the wings on it
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
yeah i like this airplane... heavily crashed it two times... break into 3 large pieces (front, mid, rear)... most people say, "it won't survive, just burned it"... but you knoe what, this things still flying until now... and it can be equipped with landing gear for take off and safe landing (conventional setting)... just an advice from me... get rid of the esc that comes with the airplane... mine got fried in like 10-20 cycle of flight...
catscratch is offline Find More Posts by catscratch
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I hope you aren't using tape to hold on that wing spar retainer foam piece! That needs to be securely glued to hold the spar.

I have Scotch "Stretchy" brand on the fuse bottom as grass landing skid protection... no evidence it is coming off. And I use colored packing tape for visibility... it also sticks just fine.

Although I have not tried it on this plane, I use Scotch "Multitasking" tape for hinging on other foam planes, including in water applications, and have never had one come loose.
Hi Tom, AJ & Hman,

I finally found time to glue my spar retainer, boil the fuse & wing roots, hinge the ailerons & remount my servos.

Thing flys like new. Thanks for all your help!

Ralph
bergerr is offline Find More Posts by bergerr