SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:37 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I suggest you save yourself a lot of hair pulling and get THIS one...
You might even look around and see if you can find it a few $$ cheaper
The price is now half that... about $8 delivered, and I second the notion that these are the best thing going for really nice 640x480 video at 30 fps. They only weigh just over 1/2 oz.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:56 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The price is now half that... about $8 delivered, and I second the notion that these are the best thing going for really nice 640x480 video at 30 fps. They only weigh just over 1/2 oz.
Wow. Very cool. Would you please post the link. For that price or a bit more delivered, I would love to have a couple more of them around. TIA.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:54 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
I use a keyfob cam on my cap for all maidens. Helps diagnose unsuccessful attempts!!

An advantage is fixed focus. A lot of consumer video cams have a hard time maintaining autofocus on a small plane in the sky
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:04 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Speed

I just got around to Dopplering Maestro's flypast. I get 70mph more or less. That's with WaveoScope. Not bad for a 2812 (I think)

My top speed is 95mph with a 10mph tailwind. That's with GPS on board. I posted some videos back a bit.

"The Don" now has a thread on RCG where he will do a speed analysis for anyone wanting one, just provide your video link.

BTW the keyfob cam is also adequate for Doppler.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:42 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
AJ
here is one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180487600644
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:48 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Sorry to quote myself , but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
cumulative damage in the nose by crashed/hard landings

As you can see it doesnt look much, but the nose is slightly warped upwards, its more noticable looking how the hatch now doesnt fit "perfectly" (still fixes-in quite good) If you "push" the nose down while holding the fuselage it will "return" to a more natural position where the hath fits better, but as soon as you let it go it returns to the nose up .. its like elastic
Do you think with that damage is worth thinkin in some elapor soup / hair drier or is too little and it can pass for now until some future bigger crash?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
This is not one-up-man-ship or anything like that but I had the front of my CF looking somewhat worse.
Certainly the soup plus the hair dryer in more specific spots followed by hot glue and tape and you'll be fine.
Good paint job!
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Actually, I bought that exact camera from HK and sold it right away. You obviously had better results, but I hated it! Absolutely hated it. First off, it is insanity itself in how it "works" (LED off means its recording... or that its off... you have to guess which). Second, while the video quality was quite good stationary... as soon as I put it on the plane it was entirely unusable. It couldn't keep up with the motion and it just became a blinky mess. But mostly I needed about 3 hours of my time that I'll never get back just to get it to play on my computer because it doesn't use any standard codecs.

Still, that's not what I mean anyway... I'm talking about a camera from the ground to record the flight from what we see, not what it sees. And we have one... but I think its more for recording birthday moments than tracking something small in the sky. Moreover, we aren't professionals And it shows. I'll bug him again today for the file. I thought he'd get it to me on the weekend but no such luck.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Jun 2009
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
Maestros needs HELP again!!!

Guys as you remember my stock esc fried at 2nd flight, then i used a Turnigy 25A ESC, did about 15 flights and then in one flight plane was out of control sometimes and servos were "shaking". I assumed that ESC fried and i bought a Towerpro 18A ESC. First flight was ok but 2nd one same problem started: Plane out of control and servos Shaking. What could be wrong??? Batteries i use are fresh new, but TX-RX is not one of the best.

Maybe i should retire my plane? and if yes what to keep, the kit or the electronics? :P
I've had this problem on a bad Rx too. The antenna came out and i re-soldered it back, it works but i dare not fly it coz the servos make all kinds of noise. Sounds like the same problem to me.
issr7 is offline Find More Posts by issr7
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
GREAT cam for less than $10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Actually, I bought that exact camera from HK and sold it right away. You obviously had better results, but I hated it! Absolutely hated it. First off, it is insanity itself in how it "works" (LED off means its recording... or that its off... you have to guess which). Second, while the video quality was quite good stationary... as soon as I put it on the plane it was entirely unusable. It couldn't keep up with the motion and it just became a blinky mess. But mostly I needed about 3 hours of my time that I'll never get back just to get it to play on my computer because it doesn't use any standard codecs.

Still, that's not what I mean anyway... I'm talking about a camera from the ground to record the flight from what we see, not what it sees. And we have one... but I think its more for recording birthday moments than tracking something small in the sky. Moreover, we aren't professionals And it shows. I'll bug him again today for the file. I thought he'd get it to me on the weekend but no such luck.

- Steven
I had the same experience. I spend about $1500/yr with HK and that camera went back 10 mins after I opened the package. BTW- The camera I got was a Turnigy. The one I suggested was a KeyFob camera. They are nothing alike. Are you sure we are talking about the same type of camera? HK never carried a keyfob type camera that I know of. Since I buy so much from them, I expect to get a failed part once in a while. But, overall, I give them 5-stars for customer support. For me, delivery times vary widely. But, I know for a certainty that is because of customs here.
Take a look at post #4130. I have a couple of those cameras and they are excellent IMO. All my other cams (the under $20 ones) are now gathering dust on a shelf. Please try that one. I promise you that you will not be disappointed.
AJ
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
I also got mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180487600644. There are SEVEN different versions of this camera... all look alike externally, but all are different either internally in their circuit design or in their firmware. The one termed #3 in this web site is the best of the bunch, and the one sold by this seller. All but one uses plain vanilla MJPEG video code in an .AVI container... can't get any more generic than that. The Hobby King version is NOT the #3 version. There is a whole thread dedicated to these cameras in the Aerial Photography forum. If you can get past the poor documentation, it is a steal at $8 delivered!

The camera has no internal recording memory... it uses a micro SDHC card. At least a Class 4 card, and preferrably Class 6 is recommended for best video, and these will add another $10+ to the cost for a 4GB card (one hour of recording).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 23, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
"Turnigy" is just the brand name HK throws on anything. Its the same basic camera. Its called an "808 keychain camera" however folks want to brand them. They aren't all exactly the same, as there are at least 7 different revisions/versions... but its impossible to tell which one you're getting until you got it. Here's a difinitive 808 info page: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#ComparisonOfVersions

I found that page when I tried to figure out how to adjust the firmware to turn the date stamp off.

So actually we can tell something from it... and I take it back - its not the same as the Turnigy. The Turnigy absolutely is a #7 variant. If the specs on that eBay listing are correct, then it is a #3, 5 or 6 (base on 720x480 resolution). By the LED being yellow, we can rule out #5. #3 is listed as the "best" variant... and #6 appears to be identical in most ways so either way it should be better than the #7 that HK sells. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

- Steven

edit: Maybe I won't. The #7 had one advantage... the date stamp could be removed. #3 it can't.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
- Steven

edit: Maybe I won't. The #7 had one advantage... the date stamp could be removed. #3 it can't.
True, the firmware of the #3 does not give that option, BUT you can remove it during post processing editing.

If you want true video proportions, all of the cameras but one (and it's not the #3) that record in 720 x 480 frame size are slightly stretched horizontally from the native 640x480 sensor image. So circles appear as slightly flattened ovals if you look very closely. To get geometric accuracy (many don't care), you need to re-frame the video for 640 x 480 output. What I do is first clip off the bottom 30 lines to eliminate the date stamp, then reframe and zoom very slightly to output a 640x480 frame size with correct geometry (circles look like circles). I use VirtualDub editor to do this automatically using it's internal filters saved as output profiles which can be recalled with one mouse click. Vdub does all the dirty work... very easy to do, and the final result has no date stamp and no noticeable video degradation that can be seen by my eye. I'll usually also re-encode from MJPEG to H.264 video codec to crunch the file size down substantially.

If interested, I posted the profiles for downloading over in this forum, or click on my avatar for a direct link to the post.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
This is not one-up-man-ship or anything like that but I had the front of my CF looking somewhat worse.
Certainly the soup plus the hair dryer in more specific spots followed by hot glue and tape and you'll be fine.
Good paint job!
If i apply a hairdryer in the nose tip (slighlty warped) and in the back of the copit where the walls seem a bit compressed wich is the cause of the nose being slighty warped upwards can i expect good results?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Fixing EPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
If i apply a hairdryer in the nose tip (slighlty warped) and in the back of the copit where the walls seem a bit compressed wich is the cause of the nose being slighty warped upwards can i expect good results?
I am not sure. I would much prefer that you make some Elapor Soup at about 200 Degrees (below boiling) and use that first. To heat behind requires too much penetration into the material and I kind of doubt that you could heat the EPO up slowly enough to accomplish anything. It is sort of like trying to use a tiny soldering iron on a large solder joint. It will get hot is spots. But, never enough to move anything around. It looks like you want to get around removing all the radio pieces/parts. I suggest that you do strip the fuse and use some soup. I am NOT saying that the hair dryer would not work. I am just leary of the results that you might or might not get. Hopefully, a few other guys will jump in here and lend their perspective/advice. I hope this helps you some.

AJ
P.S. It would most likely work OK on the nose, though.