HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Got my first CF flight in today I'm really quite impressed! It flew very nicely. landing? Not sure. I listened to a couple of reviews and replaced the stock prop adapter with a spin on type and neglected the fact the motor is spinning the wrong way. Midway through my flight, I went WOT and the nut spun off and prop went flying. I did absolutely see something come off but from the distance I presumed it was the canopy. So I didn't really realize I had no thrust until I was already stalling. I glided her in the best I could, but it landed in pretty rough terrain. Once I finally found the plane, I was really surprised with the minimal damage! Just a couple dents in the foam - nothing serious at all.

Just have to get the original prop adapter in and I might be up and flying again today!

Really like this plane so far!

- Steven
Use a collet-style prop adaptor... should not have any issue if you snug it down good. The original prop-saver style attachment is NOT good for this high rpm application.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:21 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Thanks.

So I'm confused on the motor issue... it comes with a 2100kv motor, but the replacement options are basically an 800 and a 1000? How's that make sense?

I'm hoping to find one in the 2100 to 3000 range that can handle a full 20 to 30 amps but so far I've found nothing that even remotely looks like it might fit.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
X mount its not a problem, whats the link :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
X mount its not a problem, whats the link :-)
This one from the US: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-425.html

Or this similar one from the UK: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a22089-220...-p-405122.html

Or this one WITH spindle mount (now out of stock): http://www.hobby-lobby.com/super_par..._2995_prd1.htm

Same as one shown on manufacturers page here (also out of stock?): http://www.littlescreamers.com/id73.html
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

So I'm confused on the motor issue... it comes with a 2100kv motor, but the replacement options are basically an 800 and a 1000? How's that make sense?

I'm hoping to find one in the 2100 to 3000 range that can handle a full 20 to 30 amps but so far I've found nothing that even remotely looks like it might fit.

- Steven
Steven... the kV of the advertised motor is the give away... way too low. And hey totally mislead you and many others when they said it was a replacement for the stock CF motor! Look for a motor of very close kV, size, and weight as the stock one. I just posted link to several.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Steven... the kV of the advertised motor is the give away... way too low. And hey totally mislead you and many others when they said it was a replacement for the stock CF motor! Look for a motor of very close kV, size, and weight as the stock one. I just posted link to several.
That is correct, I just tried 1000KV today ( read my previous post) , if not for the bumps on terrain it would not get any air. So I ordered this one :
https://www.lowpricerc.com/product_i...roducts_id=642
Spindle mount and 2100KV.

Too bad the other motor was too weak, it was soooo quiet, probably because prop spindle was longer (prop further from the pod) Hope the new one has the longer one too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Jul 25, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
I will also try this one (x mount)
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=152
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I'm not trying to be a downer, but I don't see that motor being as suitable when you do the math. Using WebOcalc, for example, with this plane (though mine's a bit heavier than stock) and that setup, the motor would have to draw 15A and a 17A to 20A ESC is recommended. Now, that site is lacking details, but it suggests a 15A ESC so it probably maxes out at 11A or less. So you may find that motor to be a little lacking. Unless it can actually make use of the 15A, then its closing in on ideal. WebOcalc determines a 6x4 is appropriate for that setup, while that website suggests a 6x3 so it probably does max out below the 15A.

Worth trying though... I hope to read your real-world assessment when you get it up!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:51 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
That second one... how do you get x mount to work though?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
That is correct, I just tried 1000KV today ( read my previous post) , if not for the bumps on terrain it would not get any air. So I ordered this one :
https://www.lowpricerc.com/product_i...roducts_id=642
Spindle mount and 2100KV.

Too bad the other motor was too weak, it was soooo quiet, probably because prop spindle was longer (prop further from the pod) Hope the new one has the longer one too.
Your new motor has a decent kV, but it is considerably smaller than the stock motor... weighs about 1/3 less than the stock motor. So don't expect any miracles from it, and watch the amp draw closely. They give no max amp rating for the motor, but recommend a 15A ESC, so that tells me the motor can't handle more than that on a continuous basis. The stock 5x5 prop on the stock CF motor will draw in excess of 16A on a 3S pack.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
That second one... how do you get x mount to work though?
If you search this thread for "x mount" you'll quickly home in on this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3378 for one way to do it. I haven't had to do this yet, but it might be possible to do it with a little less chopping of the stock motor pod by trimming the arms on the X mount a bit.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:08 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Well.. im sorry for being such an arse with the rolling issue but i have a quick question ,i tried searching about the topic since should be generic but cant find info on this particular..

Some of you have said that to roll its better to coordinate with rudder.. the question is.. the rudder should be applied in the same direction as the roll or in the contrary (to counter the yaw) ?

Other different question is .. 6X3 or 6X4 , wich you recomend on those two? if the 5X5 draws almost 20A now at WOT would any of those two draw more? (i have a 30A turnigy ESC , but its mounted internally)

Oh.. and do Gyros need anything more than the servo cable? the other day a guy in the field said each gyro needed 2 chanels to operate (the chanel to command and other for gaining)?
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well.. im sorry for being such an arse with the rolling issue but i have a quick question ,i tried searching about the topic since should be generic but cant find info on this particular..

Some of you have said that to roll its better to coordinate with rudder.. the question is.. the rudder should be applied in the same direction as the roll or in the contrary (to counter the yaw) ?

Other different question is .. 6X3 or 6X4 , wich you recomend on those two? if the 5X5 draws almost 20A now at WOT would any of those two draw more? (i have a 30A turnigy ESC , but its mounted internally)

Oh.. and do Gyros need anything more than the servo cable? the other day a guy in the field said each gyro needed 2 chanels to operate (the chanel to command and other for gaining)?
I use an APC 6x4E prop with the stock motor and 3S pack... draws in the 18-19 amp range with a fresh 3S lipo, and goes straight up. Better climbs than the stock 5x5, but not as fast in level flight and has more down pitch on acceleration due to the higher thrust.

Also, you should max out your aileron travel more for better rolls. I have 25mm up and 20 down. The wing with aileron down will generate more lift than the one with aileron up, and that also creates more induced drag which offsets some or all of the increased drag on the other from greater aileron deflection (form drag). This is what helps to get axial rolls started, but the effect reverses once inverted. Another reason the CF doesn't do axial rolls well is due to the high thrust line and vertical offset of the CG with the motor weight above the wing.

Try more aileron throw... it will help, especially at higher speeds. Some use rudder, but I don't... the adverse pitch coupled with it tends to force barrel rolls.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:30 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Your new motor has a decent kV, but it is considerably smaller than the stock motor... weighs about 1/3 less than the stock motor. So don't expect any miracles from it, and watch the amp draw closely. They give no max amp rating for the motor, but recommend a 15A ESC, so that tells me the motor can't handle more than that on a continuous basis. The stock 5x5 prop on the stock CF motor will draw in excess of 16A on a 3S pack.
Hmm good point Tom, well will see when I get it ( only $6.00) I damaged more money :-0 on bad landings.
You know when I think about I would swear on my aunt pantyhose, that when I measured amps on original set up I did not pass 10Amps on full tilt.. maybe I am dreaming?!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Jul 25, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
I figured easier way to X mount, May just hot glue two pieces of plywood to the plastic, drill 4 holes and pretty much set. 1/16 strips of plywood would do since the bottom holes will go through the ply and plastic motor mount, two top screws may stick a bit above original mount.
Just an idea for easy fix.
RCG Plus Member