HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:41 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hmmm... isn't that interesting! Turnigy label is pasted on many products that Hobby King gets from other manufacturers, and this looks like another one now, apparently.

But why do you say the stock motor is unsuitable for this plane? It powers mine and a friend's extremely well... his with stock 5x5 prop (faster) and mine with APC 6x4E prop (better climb... vertical).
I didn't say the motor was unsuitable. Or at least I didn't mean to! I'd have no basis to say that since I've not yet flown it No, the only "unsuitable" I think I mentioned was the "other" (not in flames) ESC I had and used to test the motor to make sure it wasn't what caused the fire... and this ESC is just far too big to fit. Sorry for the confusion.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well.. i tought of it and concluded it couldnt be that "bad".. thinking logically i would conclude having 20mm up and 15mm down aileron means that the wing that "drops" will drop faster than the wing that "lifts" and that while not perfectly ballanced it would be ok for this plane wich i only wanted to roll arround.
Problem is , as i said several times , it wont roll.. i did it once applying both rudder and ailerons to same side same time fast.. but it did a quite messy and nasty roll like doing a 3 dimensional spiral rather than a simply flat roll.. and every time i try to roll it ends just lifting the wing 90 up and stalling laterally..

And i havent even tried yet inverted or inverted loops
To get even a decent aileron roll out of the CF, you must put the push rod in the outer holes of the servos (aileron) and the inner hole of the control arms on the aileron. Even then, to make it better, I replaced the control arms with another type to get the holes even closer to the aileron.
Inverted loops or flying inverted has nothing to do with the function of the ailerons (directly).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I didn't say the motor was unsuitable. Or at least I didn't mean to! I'd have no basis to say that since I've not yet flown it No, the only "unsuitable" I think I mentioned was the "other" (not in flames) ESC I had and used to test the motor to make sure it wasn't what caused the fire... and this ESC is just far too big to fit. Sorry for the confusion.

- Steven
I agree with Tom Frank on the stock motor. I have had several motors on mine and I have returned it to the stock motor for the last 20+ flights or so (out of about 200+ flights). But........ the latest motors (last year or so) have had a problem with the magnets coming loose. Someone and I had a long discussion on the structure and design of the motor. The bottom line is that if one magnet comes loose, take the motor apart and gently pry each one out and reglue them in place. That seems to take care of the problem for everyone. I have been lucky. My CF has had many flights on it and I have had no problems with any of the power train at all (but, it seems like I did replace a servo early on... can't remember for sure). The latest CF's seem to have an overwhelming number of ESC failures. I will take a picture of mine sometime and post it here just to see how different it is. It seems that it is a 18A HobbyWing ESC. I don't remember. At any rate, I sure have read about a lot of them going bad right away.
When all is said and done, what motor and ESC are you going to use (or that you are using)? Stock motor? ESC that I recommended?
AJ
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. That is where I got 2 of them (1-for me, 1-for my son). They are out of them. They have been compared to many others that no longer carry it because the bottom line is that HK is the cheapest unless you want just an ARF. But, an ARF is not available anymore anywhere.
2. What motor did you use?
3. Depends on the motor, Battery (2S or 3S or 4S) that you use. It might be just right. But, you have a lot of postings and I suspect you know all of this already. Good luck and make sure to take videos of the rebuilt CF to share with all of us.
AJ
This is the motor I put on the CF :https://www.lowpricerc.com/product_i...roducts_id=650

you mentioned to glue magnets if they come lose... gee seems like a pain, for less than $10 you get new motor ( now the one I have is $ 6.00).
I bought several other motors from these guys so I have many choices.
The specs seem to be a bit off on their site so test test test :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:00 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Oh forgot to ask: did anyone try to remove plastic motor mount?
dont want to damage the pod and wondering whats the best SAFE way to unglue it.
Is it glued to the sides, the bottom?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Can someone give me a quick headsup as to which direction the motor should be turning, and which way the prop should be installed? My first pusher plane and I want to be sure I have it right. Thanks.

- Steven
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:36 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
The BEST motor for the CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
This is the motor I put on the CF :https://www.lowpricerc.com/product_i...roducts_id=650

you mentioned to glue magnets if they come lose... gee seems like a pain, for less than $10 you get new motor ( now the one I have is $ 6.00).
I bought several other motors from these guys so I have many choices.
The specs seem to be a bit off on their site so test test test :-)
Yes. I agree. They are good folks to do business with. The only problem is that I have never found a motor that is the exact replacement for the stock motor without going to Switzerland (as I recall). I got two motors from them about 6 months ago and forgot to keep the URL. Hopefully, I won't need them again. Another good source of motors and ESC's is:
http://www.rctimer.com/
Again, they do not have an exact replacement for the CF either. I have tried 4 other motors in the CF and I still keep coming back to the stock one which works the best for my flying needs. I am sure if you picked 10 folks who fly the CF and asked them what the best motor for it is, you would probably get 10 different answers. So, which motor is best???? Easy to answer - The one that works the best for you. There are many, many right answers.
AJ
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

- Steven
Oh... my confusion... I mis-read what you were saying. If I had caught the parentheses properly, what you just said makes sense the first time you said it!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:36 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Motor

Does anyone remember the Link for an original direct replacement motor for the CF (AX2208n)? I read through postings for the last hour and cannot find it. Help!
AJ
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:14 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
CF Plastic motor mount.

Quote:
Oh forgot to ask: did anyone try to remove plastic motor mount?
dont want to damage the pod and wondering whats the best SAFE way to unglue it.
Is it glued to the sides, the bottom?
I removed mine by running an Xacto blade between the plastic and the foam pylon. I then pried the motor mount off. My mount came off fairly clean.

I reattached it with thick CA. It is still holding at about 50 flights.

This operation was performed during a motor transplant.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:26 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Well tried the new motor today and 1000 KV (Moxie Brushless Outrunner Motor 1000KV For AXN Floater-Jet) its not even close to be replacement, Good thing I have wheels so I skipped along on the grass but was far from taking in the air, unless I hit the bump :-).so here we go will try another motor but the screw holes in a plastic mount getting bigger.
I think anything less than 2000kv wont fly the plane given limited prop size.
Maybe with different airfoil it would be easier to take off but thats not happening :-(.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:59 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Well tried the new motor today and 1000 KV (Moxie Brushless Outrunner Motor 1000KV For AXN Floater-Jet) its not even close to be replacement, Good thing I have wheels so I skipped along on the grass but was far from taking in the air, unless I hit the bump :-).so here we go will try another motor but the screw holes in a plastic mount getting bigger.
I think anything less than 2000kv wont fly the plane given limited prop size.
Maybe with different airfoil it would be easier to take off but thats not happening :-(.
I'm just guessing, but it might work with a 4s battery (if your ESC is good for that). Need about 200 watts power to fly decently.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I'm just guessing, but it might work with a 4s battery (if your ESC is good for that). Need about 200 watts power to fly decently.
Hmm That could do it , but I dont have any 4S , only 3S, I got some other motors I will try, 2100KV, 1800KV they use pretty much the same prop, My ESC can handle 4Ss but not planning to buy just the battery to use in one plane.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Got my first CF flight in today I'm really quite impressed! It flew very nicely. landing? Not sure. I listened to a couple of reviews and replaced the stock prop adapter with a spin on type and neglected the fact the motor is spinning the wrong way. Midway through my flight, I went WOT and the nut spun off and prop went flying. I did absolutely see something come off but from the distance I presumed it was the canopy. So I didn't really realize I had no thrust until I was already stalling. I glided her in the best I could, but it landed in pretty rough terrain. Once I finally found the plane, I was really surprised with the minimal damage! Just a couple dents in the foam - nothing serious at all.

Just have to get the original prop adapter in and I might be up and flying again today!

Really like this plane so far!

- Steven
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:06 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Does anyone remember the Link for an original direct replacement motor for the CF (AX2208n)? I read through postings for the last hour and cannot find it. Help!
AJ
That link I posted for the plane also sells the motor separately, but price may not be too cool. I found a proper size/weight/kV motor, but it needs an "X" firewall mount... doesn't use the spindle firewall mount.

HobbyLObby just had a good sale on a good replacement motor with spindle mount, but it sold out fast.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank