SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2010, 09:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
I just flew mine with the Rctimer 2212-6 with the stock 5x5. Seems about the same as the 2409-12T / 6x4 prop combo I had on previously, but low speed acceleration with the 5x5 on hand launching seems a tad poorer... I think. But then that should be obvious with the coarser pitch. It also may be using more battery with this new combo too. Might go back to a lower kv motor similar to the 2409-12T but lighter and with a 6x4 prop. Any suggestions?
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
I just flew mine with the Rctimer 2212-6 with the stock 5x5. Seems about the same as the 2409-12T / 6x4 prop combo I had on previously, but low speed acceleration with the 5x5 on hand launching seems a tad poorer... I think. But then that should be obvious with the coarser pitch. It also may be using more battery with this new combo too. Might go back to a lower kv motor similar to the 2409-12T but lighter and with a 6x4 prop. Any suggestions?
There's a post on the HK feedback for this plane, where the guy hand launches without power. I haven't tried it, only low power 1/2 throttle or less. It's a good glider so it should get out there well enough to allow a slow increase in power once in the air. All that to say that the 5x5 prop might work better that way, just needs to be unloaded.

I liked the 2812 motor I started with but the bearings wore out quickly. I have two of the 2409T motors but find the threaded shaft variety bends easily. I changed one to a hardened steel shaft - more true
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old May 22, 2010, 10:14 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
use a 6x4 on that 2212, its got it all.... vertical + speed
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
a ~50g motor can get unlimited vertical and really move fast... but hey what ever floats your boat
The stock 40 gm. motor can get unlimited vertical with a 6x4E prop and a fresh 1300 mAH 3S lipo! I fly pretty much straight up for about 10 secs, power off and glide down, repeat, etc., etc., etc. After about 30 minutes my neck hurts from all the looking up and I land.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The stock 40 gm. motor can get unlimited vertical with a 6x4E prop and a fresh 1300 mAH 3S lipo!
I believe it, your AUW must be quite low. I'm kind of stuck with 2200mah batteries, I have a lot of them for helis and planes

The GPS loggers also measure rate of climb, so maybe next week I'll see. Mine also goes straight up, probably 500ft in 10sec at a guess. I got a CARE package from HK today, so I have a few other things going on for now
Old May 22, 2010, 07:50 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post

I maiden my cloud and was able to get near unlimited vertical
with the RcTimer 2800Kv motor mention here
NOTE: 6x4 props is excellent ! but dont order them from RcTimer... totally unbalanced ! with
high RPM motor, you want the best prop on the market (APC Elec...) . The motor
wanted to ript off motor pod with poor unbalanced Rctimer prop

Wow. You and I have totally opposite experiences with RCTimer props. In EVERY case that I tested, they produced more thrust than any of the other props that I tested which all had the same length and pitch and all were "E" props. Of course, I took great care to balance all of them. Actually, I balance every prop before I use it. So, I have to ask you the obvious question - did you balance the RCT prop? Oh, I am referring to the TGS knockoff props ONLY. I have no experience with any other knockoff or prop that they might carry. I just looked and I have over 100+ props from them and ALL of them work great. No. I do not have any relationship with them other than buying props from them. Actually, early on, I bought several motors from them and all of them failed (burned up, tossed magnets, open winding). So, I am the other way on their motors-junk AFAIC. Others have had good luck with them.
The 30A-ESC is worthless IMO, too. I literally burned up 2 of those (both drawing 18-22A). One of those caught my Hawk Sky on fire and totaled the airplane. So, I am done with RCTimer except for props.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 22, 2010, 09:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I believe it, your AUW must be quite low. I'm kind of stuck with 2200mah batteries, I have a lot of them for helis and planes

The GPS loggers also measure rate of climb, so maybe next week I'll see. Mine also goes straight up, probably 500ft in 10sec at a guess. I got a CARE package from HK today, so I have a few other things going on for now
Yep, I build and fly light. Mine goes up similar to yours, but you can hold voltage under load better than I can, I suspect.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 22, 2010, 11:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
So, I am done with RCTimer except for props.
AJ
Inconsistancy is one of RCTimers hallmarks

I bought some 6x5 props from RCTimer just recently, and I wouldn't recommend them. They seemed like bad copies of the TGS props HK sell... mislabeled (really a 3.6" pitch) and made of much softer plastic, quite floppy and very easy to bend 90 deg. Almost a glossy black compared to the matte finish of the TGS props.
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 23, 2010, 03:20 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

I have two of the 2409T motors but find the threaded shaft variety bends easily. I changed one to a hardened steel shaft - more true
Where did you get a hardened shaft? I would love to replace mine (on 6 motors) as they bend. TIA
AJ
Old May 23, 2010, 03:29 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
Inconsistancy is one of RCTimers hallmarks

I bought some 6x5 props from RCTimer just recently, and I wouldn't recommend them. They seemed like bad copies of the TGS props HK sell... mislabeled (really a 3.6" pitch) and made of much softer plastic, quite floppy and very easy to bend 90 deg. Almost a glossy black compared to the matte finish of the TGS props.
Yes. You hit it right on the head. Inconsistent. Quite a few of us have had very different experiences with their gear. RCTimer is the most inconsistent of all the vendors I have seen on RCG. I appreciate the honest straight forward experiences from folks just like you and many others. When the collective experiences with RCTimer is so different, I have a tendency to avoid using them. Yeah, maybe, I am the only one that has had good luck with their props. But, I am going to watch my balancing results even closer now and determine whether I am getting good stuff or junk. I have many props (different sizes) from them that I have never mounted to anything. Maybe, as time permits, I will test them one afternoon and carefully document my experience. Thanks for all your input guys. This is just one more example of the incredible value of RCG.
AJ
Old May 23, 2010, 04:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Can someone save me reading 202 pages and explain if there is anything in the dx7 programming I should do other than some expo.

So I've got the right wing plugged into gear channel and have a mix that does the opposite of the left wing when I move the aileron.

Is there anything else worth doing or investigating?

btw, I'm running the stock motor on 4s, and a GWS speed controller (35a) and I'll just keep the throttle end point at 80% ..

thanks!
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old May 23, 2010, 06:10 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
Can someone save me reading 202 pages and explain if there is anything in the dx7 programming I should do other than some expo.

So I've got the right wing plugged into gear channel and have a mix that does the opposite of the left wing when I move the aileron.

Is there anything else worth doing or investigating?

btw, I'm running the stock motor on 4s, and a GWS speed controller (35a) and I'll just keep the throttle end point at 80% ..

thanks!
Mixing your rudder with ailerons helps ( especially for fpv flying )

Carbon rods in airframe to strengthen tail section

Run a thicker servo rod down the rod tubes to free the original rods up gives more throw and less servo strain which is why most original servosare failing

My mates ESC fried yesterday after only a few days flying, mine for now is fine, but mounted on the outside where his was inside

Cut ailerons, elevators and rudder off, tape / hinge or both back on, not extended my rudder yet but thinking about it
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Last edited by Coyote64; May 23, 2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
thanks,

I actually replaced the music wire due to me being an idiot during assembly, and cutting off the "excess" (hah hah) then having that dawning feeling of doing something wrong. The replacement wire is a little thinner, so they move freely.

One servo was jumpy, so replaced it with another HXT 900. These servos have a fat deadband.. 10us. But can't argue with their price.

I cut the wing ailerons and taped, but the tail and rudder seem free. Don't have any carbon rods handy, I did notice on the bench with a lot of throttle the whole tail section shakes in the turbulence!

Right now my 4s packs with the stock motor make it too nose heavy even set back as far as I can go, and I have some 2s hyperion 2200s but they are the opposite - too light. Guess I'll put a bit of weight into the tail in order to fly it with a CoG just back from the spar, which appears from reading to be a good guess.

I'm using a GWS 35A esc, it gets a bit hot .. about 60c at a continuous low throttle. We'll see if it goes into thermal shutdown I guess.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old May 23, 2010, 08:19 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Where did you get a hardened shaft? I would love to replace mine (on 6 motors) as they bend. TIA
AJ
I can't remember but I think it was from one of these. They are shipped with extra shafts. I might have had to Dremel a flat on it, it's still working after a few years

I also have some 3mm and 1/8 drill rod. That works but it's more work with the dremel and the rod in a drill to cut the circlip groove
Old May 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I have two of the 2409T motors but find the threaded shaft variety bends easily. I changed one to a hardened steel shaft - more true
Quote:
I can't remember but I think it was from one of these. They are shipped with extra shafts. I might have had to Dremel a flat on it, it's still working after a few years

I also have some 3mm and 1/8 drill rod. That works but it's more work with the dremel and the rod in a drill to cut the circlip groove
I'm confused. The 2409-12t (which you referred to above) has a 3.00mm motor shaft. How was it possible that you used 1/8" drill rod (3.175mm) or the extra hacker shaft (3.175mm) on the 2409-12t which has a 3.00mm shaft? The hacker shaft, for sure, will not fit the 2409-12t. Am I missing some thing?
AJ