HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2010, 02:58 PM
Norway
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Was out today with my plane flying fpv,testing the new Sony webbie,first in the video is the webbie then at the end comes some fpv flying with a cheap gear frome ebay Crazy landing at the end!! Plane and i did survive

Test of me new Sony webbie and also some FPV at the end of the video,with a funny landing :) (3 min 41 sec)
Northernlight is offline Find More Posts by Northernlight
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieman View Post
Ive now got this motor.http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a22089-220...-p-405170.html still havent got my watt meter looks like its lost in post. what prop that i have guys should i try first....5 x 5 , 6 x 4 ,6 x 5......???

thanks
Everybody runs a 6x4E apc on the greyson microjet that the giantcod is very similar to. According to Dr Kiwi the giantcod version should draw 18A on 3S at around 73% efficiency - quite impressive!

I've been reading very good things about the APC 6x4 Sport Gas prop lately, that it makes more thrust above 15000rpm, has a higher effective pitch (due to it being stiffer and not de-pitching) and is able to spin up to much higher RPM because its very light, all while drawing less current still. I'm waiting for a handful of them from towerhobbies...
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
JR fits everything.
AJ
Thanks AJ, it's hard being a newbie, JR it is. Thanks again.
nataz6 is offline Find More Posts by nataz6
Old May 19, 2010, 06:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataz6 View Post
Thanks AJ, it's hard being a newbie, JR it is. Thanks again.
One slight clarification on the JR plugs... a JR extension plug will not accept a Futaba servo plug directly, because the Futaba plug has a polarizing plastic "ear" on one edge so it can't be plugged in backwards in a mating Futaba plug. The JR plug that accepts the servo does not have a notch for that ear, so it will not accept a Futaba style servo plug unless you execute the "Van Gogh Maneuver" (cut off the ear).

On the CF, you won't have that issue, since the servos do not have Futaba-style plugs, so the JR extension is best... it will plug onto any RX, whereas some will not accept the Futaba pin there either without cutting off the ear..

Bottom line is this... get any extension you want... you can always make it work by cutting off a Futaba plug ear if need be. You can use the wire colors to properly orient the plug so it's not backwards. And if it is backwards, nothing bad happens... the servo just will not respond until you reverse the plug. I go for the best price for the wire gagae I want and don't worry about the plugs.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 19, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
Norway
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Im very happy with the Sony webbie

http://vimeo.com/11882241

Please comment!
Northernlight is offline Find More Posts by Northernlight
Old May 20, 2010, 02:02 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlight View Post

Please comment!
Nice video, nice flying, BEAUTIFUL scenery. Every time I see another video from Norway, I wish I was there. Meanwhile, back to the camera. All of this is IMO and if you agree fine, if not, that is fine, too. In the over $50 cameras, it is difficult for my old eyes to see a great deal of difference between. The race for market share seems to include the Webbie, GoPro HD, and Flip HD currently. I have seen videos from all 3 of them and I own the Webbie and Flip Mino. I have the same complaint with all of them. ALL of the trees look like fuzzy green balls and I have never seen one in focus. The GoPro HD seems to com the closest. I have read hundreds of reviews on so many cameras that I can't keep them all separated. Right now, the highest marks go to the new Kodak Zi8. I have been trying to buy one for over 6 months now. Everyone was out of them until about 3 days ago the dam burst and a lot of outlets seem to have them. But, I prefer to deal with Amazon and while they say they have them in stock, they don't. I tried a few different vendors of theirs. I order and immediately get an email saying they will arrive soon or they are currently out. That doggone camera is so popular, it seems nearly impossible to get one. Meanwhile, I ordered and received a JVC 1080p HD (purple) because if the ratings (not quite as good as the Zi8) and a video that I saw (don't remember just now where it was) on RCG was stunning and the focus of the trees (consequently, everything else) was beyond my expectations. I have not had a chance to try it yet in any of my planes. But, I am enthusiastic about it. I intend to put it in my CF first because I have gyros in it to enhance the quality of the video. In summary, I have read a great deal about different cameras here on RCG and my conclusion is that cameras are about as individual as pizza preferences. One person will love a particular cam and another will hate it. AFAIC, there are many "right" cameras for AV . Personally, I do like the Webbie. IMO, it is about in the middle as far as quality of video is concerned (in the $120 - $200 category). For some time now, I have been buying the under $20 cams (I have 6 right now) - looking for the perfect cheapo. I will post some videos with my JVC for you to look over as soon as the weather permits. I just wish it could be at your flying field. That place would make any camera look great.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 20, 2010, 02:53 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlight View Post

http://vimeo.com/11882241

Please comment!
Way too sssshakkkky tor me...
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old May 20, 2010, 03:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Smooth AV

That is why I use gyros in my AV planes. They cure about 80% of that on a non gusty day.
AJ
Old May 20, 2010, 04:15 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
That is why I use gyros in my AV planes. They cure about 80% of that on a non gusty day.
AJ
Really gyros can help?
I have a few lying around. Ex tricopter gyros.
Do you put them on ailerons or elevator or both?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old May 20, 2010, 06:15 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
I just run de-shaker on virtual dub
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 20, 2010, 06:47 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,428 Posts
Quote:
ALL of the trees look like fuzzy green balls and I have never seen one in focus.
I have a regular old JVC tape (miniDV) videocamera that makes trees look like you say. It's not only the focus, but lack of color differentiation, and seems worse for green than others. I now also have a 3ccd videocam, much much better (but energy hog).

Everyone quotes HD levels of pixels, some of which is not native but upconverted, and you hardly see anything about color capability.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old May 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
If any of you knows......

I saw that motors are reffering Thrust.

Let's say if i buy a motor which has 800g Thrust and my plane is 600g that means that i can have unlimited vertical climbing, true or not?
What else the "Thrust" information can tell me about???
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old May 20, 2010, 10:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
If any of you knows......

I saw that motors are reffering Thrust.

Let's say if i buy a motor which has 800g Thrust and my plane is 600g that means that i can have unlimited vertical climbing, true or not?
What else the "Thrust" information can tell me about???
Yes. Your statement is correct. But (can you feel it coming) - most manufactures lie about the "real" thrust on almost all their motor ratings. Thrust is so complex, I would not even try to explain here in less than 1000+ words because it involves so many variables (i.e. prop, prop shape, motor, battery, ESC, ad infinitum) . I probably only know maybe 10% of the topic (if even that). Like many other things in RC, the more I know, the more I find out that I don't know. Having said that, anytime the thrust exceeds the weight of the airplane, the will go vertical. IMO, 1:1 thrust is where model airplane technology ends and model rocketry begins. Anytime the thrust equals the weight of the airplane, you have a 1:1 thrust ratio. 2:1 means you have twice as much thrust as weight. Ultimately, you bolt on a given motor and if it goes vertical as far as you can see it, you have exceeded a 1:1 thrust ratio. Anyone else want to jump in? I am always open to learning more.
AJ
Old May 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
VDub Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
I just run de-shaker on virtual dub
I think they are called smoothers (filters). I will have to try them and see how well they work.
AJ
Old May 20, 2010, 11:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Really gyros can help?
I have a few lying around. Ex tricopter gyros.
Do you put them on ailerons or elevator or both?
Yes. Absolutely. However, use a rate gyro - NOT a head-lock gyro. While I can get an HL gyro to work, they are notoriously hard to adjust and very unstable IMO (plus, they cost more). I use an EK2-0704. You can find them all over EBay for $10-$13 delivered. Another big plus is that they correct those pesky wind gusts that seem to happen at the exact time I am landing. They can react 100+ times faster than I can. I encourage you to try one and let me know your experience. The only down side is that they make slow inside loops a bit harder because the gyro wants to keep you level (well, sort of. It is hard to explain). A gyro is NOT a replacement for a Co-Pilot kit though. The Co-Pilot wants to keep the plane level always. A gyro just wants the airplane to return to the last command that was input at the transmitter. Clear as mud?
In summary, for the few bucks, I can promise you that you will enjoy the learning experience.
AJ