HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2010, 08:15 AM
London U.K
Joined Jan 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I use a 7x4 trimmed down a bit and I cut a small notch in the fuse. It doesn't look like that will be a problem with your plane. Oh, some guys use a 7x5E or 7x6E. Both of those drive the motor over 25A (max rating of motor). But, you might want to try those two props also- IF you have a watt meter so you can tell accurately determine what prop works best for you. I have 3 of those motors on planes and 3 more of them in stock. For me, and for my flying style, a TGS 7x4E works best. This is one of those areas in R/C that has several "right" answers. Choose the one that works best for you.
Yes. You will have to mix in some elevator to get level flight when you jam it to WOT. For me, I use a gyro because it takes care of that problem and stops landing stalls when I get hit with a wind gust at the end of a final approach. As you can see, this is another area where there are several "right" answers. Keep us posted on your progress (pics/vids if you have time).
AJ
BTW-IMO, you made a good choice on that HW ESC.
Thanks aj.
Ive just got 2 esky gyros new off ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT for 14 inc delivery so when they come im gonna put them on the elevator and ailerons. only thing is i have a spektrum dx6i and ar6110e rx and have dual ailerons set up (for flaperons). will i have to put the y cable back on to use the gyro and loose the flaperons or is there another way, will i really need them with a gyro....???
mookieman is offline Find More Posts by mookieman
Last edited by mookieman; May 06, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 02:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaerd58 View Post
I may have to sell my Clouds I have had it for about 6 months now and I only have 1 flight into it. We have anywhere from 10-20 mph winds all the time. The fist time I flew it in 10 mph winds and I almost couldn't get it down. Killed all controls and finally dropped out. Does anyone have any other recommendations for small park flyers that will handle winds? If not I may have to hang up flying here. Thanks,Rick
I'll bet that question would get a lot of replies if you want to start a new thread!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old May 06, 2010, 02:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Some guys get the nose diving down and others get the nose pitching up. It sort of depends on the AOI of the horizontal stab. For whatever reason, it is very critical on this plane. Any ideas?
AJ
I was referring to the strong pitch down moment during a hand launch due to the high thrust line... not so much what the plane does when up to flying speed. The down pitch is much more pronounced at launch since the tail feathers don't have any speed or authority to offset the high thrust line. But even when flying, I get an initial down pitch before it starts to climb again. Any mods that increase the thrust will accentuate this.

I used the stock incidence of the horizontal stab. I've been playing with some up elevator correction at launch programmed to my spring-loaded TX trainer switch so I can add and subtract the correction with my left hand when launching with my right hand. With this plane, I have not attempted to cancel out the climb with increased throttle because I don't fly mine around level at WOT... I only use WOT to get up to gliding altitude quickly.

I have programmed on other planes a switch-activated (down) elevator trim mixed with my throttle stick to hold a plane (with lifting airfoil) level as the throttle is advanced, but with this plane, that would also accentuate the initial pitch down if it were turned on as the throttle stick advanced and before the plane gained additional speed. It's just an inherent problem with a plane with such a high thrust line like the CF has. Additional down thrust has the same effect, but it's fixed obviously and can't be toggled on/off with the flick of a switch nor adjusted with the push of a button on the TX.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 06, 2010, 03:13 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
144 Posts
Quote:
I may have to sell my Clouds I have had it for about 6 months now and I only have 1 flight into it. We have anywhere from 10-20 mph winds all the time. The fist time I flew it in 10 mph winds and I almost couldn't get it down. Killed all controls and finally dropped out. Does anyone have any other recommendations for small park flyers that will handle winds? If not I may have to hang up flying here. Thanks,Rick

You could simply try making it heavier and maybe shorten the wings. Are you running a 2200mah batter yet?
tankd0g is offline Find More Posts by tankd0g
Old May 06, 2010, 03:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
duplicate post deleted
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 06, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 06, 2010, 03:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
<snip>
We have anywhere from 10-20 mph winds all the time. The fist time I flew it in 10 mph winds and I almost couldn't get it down. Killed all controls and finally dropped out. Does anyone have any other recommendations for small park flyers that will handle winds?
Thanks,Rick
Personally, I find the CF handles moderate wind quite well... certainly in the 10-15 mph range. I don't fly if its stonger than that.

But getting it down shouldn't be any problem with some careful, light touches of down elevator... try adjusting the elevator trim one down click at a time... should be able to get a controlled descent that way. It could still be tricky if the wind is gusting widely, but it WILL come down.
Old May 06, 2010, 05:18 PM
FE Finatic
Delaware
Joined Jan 2004
144 Posts
Unfortunately at the time I had to try and bring it back into the wind. Kind of froze in the air about 50ft. Finally battery was failing and threw all throws back and blew about 1000ft kind of rocking back and forth until down. Crunch the nose slightly but that was it. for about 8-10 months now we haven't had a calm wind day. So either I hang up the air end of the hobby or go another direction. The Super Fly seems interesting especially since I am limited on flying space.Thanks,Rick
smaerd58 is offline Find More Posts by smaerd58
Old May 06, 2010, 05:38 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g View Post
You could simply try making it heavier and maybe shorten the wings. Are you running a 2200mah batter yet?
Agree with heavier. Sailplane guys add ballast on windy days.

Anyway - here's my rule of thumb - you can fly any plane in wind as long a windspeed is less than 50% of max speed of the plane. Now that rule has as many loopholes as youknowwho's medical plan, but since this plane can easily go 60mph, 30mph winds are in the realm of possibility

You just need to remember to land with some power on
Old May 06, 2010, 06:57 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieman View Post
Thanks aj.
Ive just got 2 esky gyros new off ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT for 14 inc delivery so when they come im gonna put them on the elevator and ailerons. only thing is i have a spektrum dx6i and ar6110e rx and have dual ailerons set up (for flaperons). will i have to put the y cable back on to use the gyro and loose the flaperons or is there another way, will i really need them with a gyro....???
The simple answer is that you really don't need them with ailerons. What I did was put the second gyro on the yaw axis (rudder).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 07, 2010, 07:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
Inrunner maiden

Tests with the inrunner. I'll run a speed test today if I get a chance

Clouds Fly Inrunner (2 min 14 sec)
Last edited by victapilot; May 07, 2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added speed plot from GPS logger
Old May 09, 2010, 08:26 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Great!!! 94mi/h that was when flying vertically or diving?
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old May 09, 2010, 08:56 AM
FE Finatic
Delaware
Joined Jan 2004
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I'll bet that question would get a lot of replies if you want to start a new thread!
The time has come for me to pull the pin on my Floater-Clouds Fly I appreciate all the help over the years and knowledge from all the guys here. I am going to the Delta Wing type planes because of the space and wind conditions here. I posed in Classifieds to fund future project. Thanks again,Rick
smaerd58 is offline Find More Posts by smaerd58
Old May 09, 2010, 07:37 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
Great!!! 94mi/h that was when flying vertically or diving?
LOL - yeah that's funny! I could measure vertical speed with the GPS, if I really thought that might be worthwhile

One advantage of GPS logging is that I can do the speed run at safe altitude, 100-200ft. With Doppler or Radar it's better fly straight at the guy recording, and as low as possible. Not for me with a foamy with skin hinges.

I'll put in a 50amp ESC after all the action is over at the Nall, and see what it does. I'm currently running a 30amp ESC into the danger zone.
Old May 09, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
certainly floaters aren't that easy to fly in the heavy winds with many wind changes (fast/slow/direction). planes with less drag fly a lot easier and go more easily against the wind.

Saying that since.. finally tested my turnigy 25a esc in the wind on the AXN. feels like the prop is spinning faster but might just be me.

Anyway, after 20min of full throttle against the wind, nothing burnt this time, all good!
Heck for once i had enough time to go high and sail some before the battery went flat =) i had like 20-30mph wind (the *full throttle in the wind and the plane doesn't seem to move an inch* kind of wind)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old May 09, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,585 Posts
Where can I buy the AXN Floater Jet in the US? I can't seem to find it. Are ARF kits available?
rcboosted is online now Find More Posts by rcboosted