HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:56 AM
Joined Nov 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
How hot is hot? Warm/hot, can touch with finger, or hot, hot, touch with finger and have to release.
Hot can touch with finger
Wei65 is offline Find More Posts by Wei65
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:48 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei65 View Post
My esc gets hot after just awhile. what should i do?
In order to give you an accurate answer, I would need to know how many amps your power system is pulling. In order to do that, you would need one of THESE. If you don't have one, it is just a wild guess to fix it. I consider a watt meter mandatory for ANY change to the power system.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:52 AM
It was the wind!
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Oct 2008
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I'm the one rperego mentioedn flying with the 1300 mAH pack, shoved forward as far as it can go without thinning any of the outer foam shell of the fuse foam. I'm running the stock motor, but I just switched to an APC 6x4E prop and like it much better than the stock 5x5. It draws about one amp more, but I can get up to altitude much faster, then power off and glide around for several minutes... more if there is any thermal activity. The 30 minute flight had a 1.5 oz. camera on board, and still had just under 11.4V on the pack when I landed. I could have easily flown for a few more fast-climb/glide cycles.

The plane is a real floater with the lighter pack, and the 57mm CG seems like the sweet spot to me.
Did you have to cut room for that prop to fit? I just ordered my cloudsfly yesterday...and I want it to carry a heavy camera too. Does the bigger prop give it more carrying power? Btw...this is RedDevilSquadron from NWEF.

Thanks,
Zach
zdsweet is offline Find More Posts by zdsweet
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:24 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdsweet View Post
Did you have to cut room for that prop to fit? I just ordered my cloudsfly yesterday...and I want it to carry a heavy camera too. Does the bigger prop give it more carrying power? Btw...this is RedDevilSquadron from NWEF.

Thanks,
Zach
Be careful with 6x4 prop. Maybe the Stock ESC is not high enough to handle it.
(Some guys said that the stock prop draws 18Amps and the 6x4 about 19)
The stock ESC is about 20A and you already will have 19Amps + UBEC section of the ESC which is not less than 1A.

Tom Frank are you using the stock ESC for the 6x4? Because i have 25Amp ESC for that
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
7 Posts
Can someone please tell me what the exact width of the battery slot is?
(as it is arriving from stock)

Thanks!
Wingman3 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman3
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman3 View Post
Can someone please tell me what the exact width of the battery slot is?
(as it is arriving from stock)

Thanks!
Approx. 18mm.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdsweet View Post

Thanks,
Zach
Hi RDS,
I replied to your shout box post on NWEF, but will repeat here. The 6x4E prop fits with room to spare. I get more thrust... enough to go vertical carrying my 2.2 oz. camera using a 1300 mAH 3S lipo. Amp draw increase by just over 1A, but still only about 18A... well with the capability of the 20A stock ESC. Loss of WOT speed, if that is important to you, is barely noticeable to me. I can rocket up to altitude in 5-10 seconds of WOT, then level off and glide dead stick for several minutes before repeating. I've gotten 30 minute flights this way with over 10.3V left in my pack.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
Be careful with 6x4 prop. Maybe the Stock ESC is not high enough to handle it.
(Some guys said that the stock prop draws 18Amps and the 6x4 about 19)
The stock ESC is about 20A and you already will have 19Amps + UBEC section of the ESC which is not less than 1A.

Tom Frank are you using the stock ESC for the 6x4? Because i have 25Amp ESC for that
Thanks for the warning. The stock ESC on mine was 20A continous, 25A surge rated. I measured the amp draw with a Hyperion LDU logger (see pic below), and got only 17.7A with the power supply I use for testing... it will drop voltage to 10.5V with this prop, pretty much like my lipo after the initial fresh charge voltage bleeds off. A larger pack with fresh charge could give more amps initially, but if the stock ESC is fairly rated, it should handle the 5-10 sec WOT runs I use to climb to altitude. And the 2A BEC "should" hold up if the plane is flown like a powered glider and not like a pattern plane! The BEC power circuit is totally separate from the motor power, though they share the same circuit board for heat dissipation. When I'm at WOT, it's for less than 10 secs, and climbing with virtually no servos activity needed.

Having said that, I am NOT using the stock ESC because mine would not start the motor properly. HK sent me a replacement (a SuperSimple 18A continuous, 20A surge rated), and THAT one had a faulty BEC (over 10V output... fried my programming card). Still awaiting HK reply for resolution on that, but I digress! I am using a Turnigy Plush 18A continuous (22A surge) ESC, also with a 2A BEC, and it has been fine with the 6x4E prop for the way I fly this plane.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 31, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:33 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2008
162 Posts
anyone want to sell their plane, i'm interested. just IM me
galexis is offline Find More Posts by galexis
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei65 View Post
Hot can touch with finger
My guess is if you can hold it, it's within limits. One ESC I just bought specified in the manual the thermal shut off limit is 110'C. Which is above scalding hot.
But then that is my guesstimate.
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:57 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Jun 2009
236 Posts
Used plane for sale in SF bay area. Local pick up only. Please make offer.

2 options:

1) everything but tx, rx and battery
2) everything but tx, rx battery and servos.

Thanks
issr7 is offline Find More Posts by issr7
Old Apr 01, 2010, 07:30 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Gona maiden the Clouds fly in the am ! I Think its ready to go. CG is at 47 mm in the am im gonna try to get it at 50 mm . Wish me luck !
Winkman1 is offline Find More Posts by Winkman1
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:26 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkman1 View Post
Gona maiden the Clouds fly in the am ! I Think its ready to go. CG is at 47 mm in the am im gonna try to get it at 50 mm . Wish me luck !
They are always so pretty when new. Good Luck and Happy Flying.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:04 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
A video from my clouds fly with the 6x4 propeller, everything else stock:

Clouds Fly chasing Cessna - Testpilot.wmv (5 min 40 sec)
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:26 AM
Drogheda.Ireland
Joined Mar 2009
122 Posts
Hi WHAT BATTERY CONECTIONS WILL I ORDER FOR ?tHANKS
freshbreeze is offline Find More Posts by freshbreeze