Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
This wed I will get a video of my clouds fly. I think you will be impressed... very impressed.
I am looking forward to your video. I am easily impressed, too. So, I love it already.
AJ
ajbaker is online now Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Stock motor spinning in wrong direction

Since my magnets came lose, I took them all off an re-epoxied them. Silly me didn't look properly and reversed them. The motor ran funny with no thrust in either direction. So I looked carefully and realised the magnets were put in the opposite direction. So before the epoxy fully cured, I managed to get them out and replace them. Now when I run it, it turns the wrong way with the thrust naturally the wrong direction too! What did I do wrong? What's the fix?

I understand I can just reverse/swap any of the 2 of the 3 wires from the ESC to the motor and it will run in the reverse direction?

Thanks
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:45 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
Since my magnets came lose, I took them all off an re-epoxied them. Silly me didn't look properly and reversed them. The motor ran funny with no thrust in either direction. So I looked carefully and realised the magnets were put in the opposite direction. So before the epoxy fully cured, I managed to get them out and replace them. Now when I run it, it turns the wrong way with the thrust naturally the wrong direction too! What did I do wrong? What's the fix?

I understand I can just reverse/swap any of the 2 of the 3 wires from the ESC to the motor and it will run in the reverse direction?

Thanks
Yes.
AJ
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:03 AM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yes.
AJ
Thanks. Any idea why it still runs in reverse?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:50 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Any idea why it still runs in reverse?
That is not possible. Somehow, you got too many wires reversed. That is the only thing that could cause it to not change direction. Make certain that you only swap two wires and have someone check that you are doing it as outlined. The swapping wires has worked for me on over 500 motors and I have never had one fail to change direction. Try it again.
- OR -
Do you mean it runs in reverse at the transmitter stick (i.e. you push the stick away from you and the motor stops).
Failing all of that, please send some pics of your motor and ESC. I am missing something for sure. I have never ever heard from anyone that swapping the wires DID NOT change the direction. There is a misunderstanding in here somewhere. We just have to find out where it is.
AJ
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:06 AM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Hi AJ, I haven't swapped the wires yet. To re-phrase it, I never touched the wiring! That is why I am perplexed as to why the it still ran in reverse when I re-installed the magnets the correct way.

As to the second query. Nope, I am not referring to the reversing of control stick command. I'm referring to the rotation direction of the motor.

I will swap the wires, one pair and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the assistance
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:49 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
I know it's in the thread, but hard to find, so how will a 6x4 propeller affect performance compared to a 5x5 ? And is a 6x5 too much for stock engine and esc ?
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:53 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Hi AJ, I haven't swapped the wires yet. To re-phrase it, I never touched the wiring! That is why I am perplexed as to why the it still ran in reverse when I re-installed the magnets the correct way.

As to the second query. Nope, I am not referring to the reversing of control stick command. I'm referring to the rotation direction of the motor.

wow, really strange. You didn't touched the wires and the motor direction reversed...
Maybe when you put in the magnets in wrong direction something reversed the pole or anything else... or am i speaking about silly things???
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
Joined Jul 2007
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
I know it's in the thread, but hard to find, so how will a 6x4 propeller affect performance compared to a 5x5 ? And is a 6x5 too much for stock engine and esc ?
I flew the other day with the stock 5x5 on mine, and a friend had a 6x4 on his. The 6x4 appears to give more vertical climb and a little less speed.

Regards the draw of a 6x5, I measure 18 amps with the stock 5x5 and 19 amps with a 6x4, so a 6x5 will likely draw even more.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Better to upgrade yous esc too if you don't want to loose your plane
because, as rperego said a 6x4 takes 19 amps and a 6x5 will take even more.
Don't forget that the stock ESC is 20A and never forget the BEC section of the ESC wich takes no less than 2A as someone told me here.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Thanks for the propellerinfo - will try the 6x4 and see how i like it then...
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the propellerinfo - will try the 6x4 and see how i like it then...
hope i helped. Carefull the 6x4 with the stock esc is also too much 19Amp +2~amp gives us 21Amp and the stock esc is 20Amp.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

Ah. Got it. I knew I was not understanding something. OK. Here is what happened. When you put the magnets back in, you started with the first magnet being opposite of the way it was before you took it apart. Let's say that the first magnet was N-S with the N(orth) part of the magnet next to the outside rim. Well, if you started with the S part of the magent next to the outside rim, the motor would run in reverse. There is no way to easily tell which pole is N or S. So, you could take all the magnets out. Or, just swap two of the wires. BTW-You will notice that I did not say "right" or "wrong" way on anything. That is because both ways of installing the magnets are correct (assuming that you went N-S then S-N then N-S..... when you installed the magnets). The only difference is that the motor runs the other way. Swap the leads when you get time and let us all know how it worked out.
AJ
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
wow, really strange. You didn't touched the wires and the motor direction reversed...
Maybe when you put in the magnets in wrong direction something reversed the pole or anything else... or am i speaking about silly things???
Not silly at all. What you described is probably what happened. However, there is no "wrong" direction of the magnets as long as the n-s, s-n, n-s, s-n (flip flop)...... sequence is followed.
AJ
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:36 PM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
wow, i was just guessing!!!
Sorry guys i promised to post some pics today of my painted CF and i didn't.
I'm just trying to put some gears on it and i want you to see after it's totally finished!!!
btw where's the best point to place the gear? Right on CG???
(The plane will have 2 gears in front and 1 back, like a taildragger).